Firenze

Relationships with plants in your craft

I potted up a new batch of succulents from my Daughter in Law's garden, I gave her some of mine. My Christmas Cactus is blooming like crazy, I just brought it in from outside. I guess it is saying "Thanks Mom".

• Upvote 2

I have a garden, and there is a corner of it where I grow specific plants - some I work with and some that have very deep roots. My ancestor altar (one of them, anyway) is also there. The Earth is a graveyard. Everything that has ever died is in the Earth.

I go there most days and talk to the plants there, tell them how work went, what I'm worried about, what I'm happy about. I take some flowers for tea, I leave them water. I touch them. They're used to me. When I need specific help, I go there and call to my ancestors. I ask the plants questions, I watch for the wind in them to see the answers.

All my house plants are out in the garden for the Summer, but when Fall comes they are right back in the house. Plants seem to love me, I have the touch I guess.I think the trick is to not pamper them, you can kill them with kindness. talk to them, touch them, tell them they are doing a great job.

So this was something that was a thing for me lol. I love plants but used to think I had a black thumb. When I'd "take care" of them they died, but when I "ignored" them they thrived. Then i started to pay attention and treat them like I would when working with wildlife. I "listened" to them and let them tell me what they want and need.

Since I used to have pets and plants weren't really safe to have in the home i hadn't really gotten much practice and experience with houseplants. Now caring for wild plants, that's a different story.

Now that I can't have pets, plants have started to take that place lol. The neat part is the three I have came to be in my possession not dissimilar to how ppl end up with stray animal pets. I have an air plant, a hibiscus, and a pothos that were all "rescues". The hibiscus was being thrown out at my job (it looked dead but something told me to take it home anyway)... It went from a 6in pot a few months ago and now it's nearly as tall as me... And still blooming like crazy....I had no idea it can grow that fast or come back that strongly lol. The relationship I now have with it is via ritual rather than magical. But hopefully this post still qualifies on this thread. So far it's taken place if my usual oboo. (It's a type of shrine found in Mongolia) - my version is a bit adapted since people around me probably wouldn't understand lol. The hibiscus is on my porch, but when I do my daily ritual I prefer doing it outside and so it has become my point of connection with the spirits I honor. My little rituals I do are very simple and adapted to just appear like I'm just caring for my plant etc.

I'm sad though as I'm going to be moving in a month and can't take it with me. It'll be adopted by someone I know and may therefore get an opportunity to get a cutting later (I missed my window of opportunity earlier).

Speaking of which I have a question I'll ask in a sep post as soon as I get a chance!!

I planted a pot of Narcissus bulbs a while ago, they are up and blooming already, they smell so delicious.

• Upvote 2

So this was something that was a thing for me lol. I love plants but used to think I had a black thumb. When I'd "take care" of them they died, but when I "ignored" them they thrived. Then i started to pay attention and treat them like I would when working with wildlife. I "listened" to them and let them tell me what they want and need.

Since I used to have pets and plants weren't really safe to have in the home i hadn't really gotten much practice and experience with houseplants. Now caring for wild plants, that's a different story.

Now that I can't have pets, plants have started to take that place lol. The neat part is the three I have came to be in my possession not dissimilar to how ppl end up with stray animal pets. I have an air plant, a hibiscus, and a pothos that were all "rescues". The hibiscus was being thrown out at my job (it looked dead but something told me to take it home anyway)... It went from a 6in pot a few months ago and now it's nearly as tall as me... And still blooming like crazy....I had no idea it can grow that fast or come back that strongly lol. The relationship I now have with it is via ritual rather than magical. But hopefully this post still qualifies on this thread. So far it's taken place if my usual oboo. (It's a type of shrine found in Mongolia) - my version is a bit adapted since people around me probably wouldn't understand lol. The hibiscus is on my porch, but when I do my daily ritual I prefer doing it outside and so it has become my point of connection with the spirits I honor. My little rituals I do are very simple and adapted to just appear like I'm just caring for my plant etc.

I'm sad though as I'm going to be moving in a month and can't take it with me. It'll be adopted by someone I know and may therefore get an opportunity to get a cutting later (I missed my window of opportunity earlier).

Speaking of which I have a question I'll ask in a sep post as soon as I get a chance!!

How cool! So this plant knows you, and is familiar with how your work. You have a relationship with it and it knows what you need when you work with it. I love hibiscus - in some religions they are used as offerings to divinities. Beautiful plants! They line the walkway (well, what is going to become the walkway lol) leading up to my front door.

Posted (edited)

I compose hymns of praise to them, lauding their talents and gifts. Then I'll speak or sing fragments of what I remember of the hymn when harvesting or using the harvested herbs. I tend to do this in a sort of breathy energised way as I move and invoke the presence of the spirit of the plant, seeing its colours and shapes form in my minds eye. I don't want to call it shamanic or ecstatic, those terms are over worked, but it's edging towards trance-y I guess.

I make herb bundles for incensing in various ways. I use the fresh herb and bind them together speaking my purpose and, again, praising the qualities of the herbs being used.

I'll sit with them and watch through half closed eyes, trying to catch a glimpse of the fey presences (I don't have "the sight" but sometimes get an awareness). I pay attention to the behaviour, how it moves in the breeze, the scent it gives, the way it catches the light. Just observing in a mindful way, and this colours my perception of the presence therein. Then I might have an inner-conversation on a relevant topic, listening for impressions. 

I routinely make a point of thanking my soldier tree (one of those seaside palmy type plants), which always 'bristles to attention' in the breeze when I pass. I also thank the bay at the front gate and the rosemary, plus anything else thorny for keeping out unwanted visitors. A heartfelt touch and a whisper is enough I feel, though yes I DO hug trees, especially my "woolly bush" (a golden conifer) out the back who grounds me nicely after a working.

Tisanes, ground candle coatings, packets to burn, salt bath blends, and good old pain relief or sedation. 

Edited by WitchVillage
  • Upvote 3

Plants are so pivotal for me. It started with reading and learning about medicinals but that was very incomplete as a source of real education.

i began foraging. Actual identification. The more you do this, the better your hearing gets. There is a visual aspect of course but as you progress you might head to the woods with no direction. BOOM you stumble onto elderberry to arrive home and find your husband has a sore throat and you’ve carried home the ingredients for a remedy syrup!

Of course, be sure you know what you have...the point is in the listening. I recommend collecting and confirming many times before you actually use anything. This might sound crazy but I find that cultivated plants are not as loud. In developing any kind of relationship with plants, I’d suggest starting with wild stuff.

5 hours ago, Kelltic said:

Plants are so pivotal for me. It started with reading and learning about medicinals but that was very incomplete as a source of real education.

i began foraging. Actual identification. The more you do this, the better your hearing gets. There is a visual aspect of course but as you progress you might head to the woods with no direction. BOOM you stumble onto elderberry to arrive home and find your husband has a sore throat and you’ve carried home the ingredients for a remedy syrup!

Of course, be sure you know what you have...the point is in the listening. I recommend collecting and confirming many times before you actually use anything. This might sound crazy but I find that cultivated plants are not as loud. In developing any kind of relationship with plants, I’d suggest starting with wild stuff.

That’s an interesting experience. It sounds like a good idea to harvest wild plants and get out there, but I also enjoy connecting with the plants through watering them and occasionally asking a question about their talents. I don’t hear the answer literally, but intuitively certain feelings and ideas will come to mind.

• Like 1

I love plants. I want some large decorative house plants indoors when I get a new place, as well as some magical plants. 

Also a fountain indoors would be cool. 

I find they make a huge difference to the air quality in rooms & the electromagnetic quantum energy as well. Plants are mysterious. I also want a couple of very small birds to fly between all these giant plants & fertilise them when they poop on them 😁 should be a fun indoor experiment. 

On 2/9/2019 at 9:12 PM, Duchess said:

All my plants are still small.  😞 The hardest one to leave behind was an eight foot tall bird of paradise who used to cuddle anyone sitting in the chair next to it. I named her Audrey. 

Feed me Seymour, feeeeeed meeeee!

On 7/13/2020 at 6:32 PM, Georgina said:

I love plants. I want some large decorative house plants indoors when I get a new place, as well as some magical plants. 

Also a fountain indoors would be cool. 

I find they make a huge difference to the air quality in rooms & the electromagnetic quantum energy as well. Plants are mysterious. I also want a couple of very small birds to fly between all these giant plants & fertilise them when they poop on them 😁 should be a fun indoor experiment. 

Georgina, you need a giant Victorian glass conservatory, to keep your fabulous birds and exotic ferns!  It would be fabulous!