7 replies to this topic

#1 Adare

Adare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:22 AM

How do people here like to work with live plants? For me, I gather my small potted plants to stand watch as witnesses or sentinels when I do workings. I'm don't know what inspired me to do so, but it makes me feel less lonely and so it's what I do now.

Sometimes I forget to water my plants, but I'm trying to motivate myself by using the watering time as a moment to connect and reflect upon my grandpa, who I remember always took the time to water and cultivate his plants on the balcony when I was a child.

I was curious how others here find ways to connect with living plants and how it has influenced your craft.

Edited to clarify I mean live plants

Edited by Adare, 09 February 2019 - 06:25 PM.

#2 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:57 AM

Grow them, kill them, weep for them. Grow them again.

Eat them, drink them, smoke them, wear them.

Tincture them and distill their oils.

Capture their Alchemal essence in a spagaric preparation.

Grind their body, blood and bones to make your incense.

Carve them to make the tools of your craft.

Plant them to guard you home and boundaries.

Visit them and leave offerings of yourself to help connect with their spirits.

Sleep with them, meditate with them, lay with them and put down your roots.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#3 Adare

Adare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:30 PM

"Sleep with them, meditate with them, lay with them and put down your roots."

I like that! Need to meditate with them more. I realize I needed to be more specific – I meant working with live plants. I feel like I come across a lot notes about how to use their parts for ingredients and materials, and wanted to see what other kinds of ways people have to engage with them.

#4 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:20 PM

I had to leave all mine behind when I moved countries, and I’ve slowly been growing the collection again. I keep them around as friends, to liven up the place in the dead of winter, to act as warning signs, and to generally turn the house into a jungle. They help create the space I want to live in. I spend once a week watering, feeding, and talking to them.

#5 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:42 PM

I breathe on my plants and talk to them, they like the carbon dioxide from your breath.

#6 Khundekling

Khundekling

Above Average Member

• Moderators
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:39 PM

It's only in the last year or so that I've become more interested in house plants (no garden) and my connection with them grows greater the more time I spend with them. I don't mean a connection in a conversing sense or anything like that, just caring for them, watching them grow, gives me an emotional connection to them. I whisper words of encouragement to them, but talking with plants and trees is something I've always done. My apartment definitely has a different energy to it, now that I have some bigger plants. Not sure what that is yet, guess I'll just have to buy some more  ;)

life is better with a biscuit

#7 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:12 PM

My apartment definitely has a different energy to it, now that I have some bigger plants. Not sure what that is yet, guess I'll just have to buy some more  ;)

All my plants are still small.  :(  The hardest one to leave behind was an eight foot tall bird of paradise who used to cuddle anyone sitting in the chair next to it. I named her Audrey. 

#8 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:14 PM

As far as growing, for whatever reason I do fabulously with outdoor plants and am a veritable plant slayer indoors... an issue I need to figure out, lol.
Relationship wise... (obviously you can’t do all of this with certain plants) but I sit on the ground by them, touch them, some I literally kind of bury my face in, but basically whatever proximity is reasonable and while doing so get a feel of the plant. I have a little “game” I play where in this process I ask “what is it you (the plant) want to do,” what is its natural inclination, what is it good at/for. I have found that most of the time what I sense the plant “wants” to do will match a known benefit or property of the plant when I later later look it up. (Try this with stones as well.) This accomplishes a few things. It’s a good exercise for me to practice “reading” the energy and spirit of a thing. Also, be it plants or stones, or anything- you may find 20 properties listed for a given thing. But, YOUR particular lavender plant (for example) may really excel at one or two of them. Also, there is a type of relationship formed here. You are caring for and getting to know this plant, that hopefully will later serve you well. I think connection with the spirit of a plant creates a far more powerful ally than simply treating them as ingredients. Even if I purchased the plant as a dry herb, taking the time to connect with the spirit of the plant before using it, creates a far more potent outcome. Sometimes you may discover that what you were about to use isn’t really in line with your intentions and adjusting your plans may be in order.

But basically, in working with any organic matter there is an opportunity for a type of interaction, relationship, and cooperation- so I try to make the most of that.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe