• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 An_Bruane

An_Bruane

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:11 PM

The day before yesterdey I was taking care of my plants when I realized that was a dead collared dove under one of my pines. The poor animal has just died because it's corpse did not yet have rigor mortis. I decided to collect some of its parts in order to use them in crafts of soul flying.

As I usually do when I found out a dead animal witch parts I use on my rites, I gave thanks to the dove for its parts and I wished her a good journey to the Other Side.

In the las 5 years I  had some difficult times (My glaucoma got worse, I discovered that my parents are not the kind people that I thought, I moved to another city, etc ...) and my brain blocked some emotions in order to manage a lot of suffering. Maybe I wanted to pretend be more strong than I really was...

Well, while I was collecting the parts of the dove (wings, feet, feathers, head and heart) I had a feeling I had never experienced before while I was collecting, as if the spirit of the dove spoke directly to my heart, like a gentle loving touch. I felt as if a dam were breaking inside of me and all the tears I represed for a long time flowed down my face. It was refreshing.

Maybe this can sound odd, but it's true. And I'n considering to aksing the spirit of that dove to join me in the Arte as an ally, a familiar.

I would like to know your opinion about that matter, please. I have a baby souldoll as a familiar but I never recruited a dead animal's soul as a familiar before.

#2 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:41 AM

A very touching experience. I would maybe consider it as more of a Spirit Guide, look into what Dove may mean to you at this moment in time.
Dove can mean a powerful time of clear vision and prophecy and spiritual renewal.
Nurture yourself.

#3 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:56 PM

A very touching experience. I would maybe consider it as more of a Spirit Guide, look into what Dove may mean to you at this moment in time.
Dove can mean a powerful time of clear vision and prophecy and spiritual renewal.
Nurture yourself.

Onyx, I get that you are trying to help, but could you kindly stop posting  'advice' that was clearly copy-pasted from other sources and acting like it was your idea.

It is plagiarism because you do not ever give credit to the source.

Furthermore, if you insist on borrowing from others hard work, what you do not want to be bothered putting any real effort into, at least get better sources. 

All this New Age and Wiccan influenced crap is making us look bad.

This is a forum for Traditional Witchcraft, after all.

Onyx's obvious uncredited source;

DOVE represents a powerful time of prophecy and clear vision. You’re experiencing a spiritual renewal that’s the result of a period of intense self-examination and challenges. It’s important to nurture yourself with loving care. The soul of someone who’s just passed is making a smooth transition. Dove also represents peace and maternity. The song of
this totem says to mourn what has passed but awaken to the promise of the future. It’s song is more distinct in the “Between times” (dawn and dusk).This helps to see the creation process active within your own life.

Edited by Solanaceae, 08 February 2019 - 12:58 PM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#4 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:45 PM

Noted.

#5 Guest_Sollomyn_*

Guest_Sollomyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:13 AM

It could just mean you're repressing your emotions too much. But I don't know an awful lot about omens, signs, and symbols, nor how big of a part they play in day to day life, or if there's even any validity to them. Aside from Dream Symbols; I'm somewhat familiar with that and have every belief in their validity, because it's just too plain damn weird that so many people report having the same types of dreams with the same types of symbols, indicating the extreme likliehood that the Dreamspace is a universally shared dimension, and not just a figment of the human condition. 

In regards to asking the spirit of the dead dove to be your Familiar, I personally don't think it matters either way, because I don't think you'll actually get a response, because I'm pretty sure that bird's spirit is pre-occupied at the moment, but if it would make you feel better personally, then sure; go for it. I'd prefer an actual animal though; probably a dog seeing as they can double as a watchdog.

Now...What are these "Crafts of Soul Flying" of which you speak? Sounds interesting.  :)

#6 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:58 AM

In regards to asking the spirit of the dead dove to be your Familiar, I personally don't think it matters either way, because I don't think you'll actually get a response, because I'm pretty sure that bird's spirit is pre-occupied at the moment, but if it would make you feel better personally, then sure; go for it. I'd prefer an actual animal though; probably a dog seeing as they can double as a watchdog.

A watchdog is not a familiar, that's a pet. Personally I wouldn't want my dog to be a familiar, she'd be too busy licking her own ass to be useful. 

#7 Guest_Sollomyn_*

Guest_Sollomyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:33 AM

My familiar would be my pet. Familiars are essentially helpful entities which are commonly known for assisting witches and cunning folk in their practice of magick. They can appear in numerous forms; often as an animal, but occasionally as a human or humanoid figure. By having a pet, one is simply providing a host for the familiar to work through. I'm willing to bet there's probably some kind of ritual or spell for that too; the equivalent of putting an open-for-business sign on your pet for any and all friendly familiars.

My choice would be a dog because I'm a mountain man lol; a dog would really come in handy in regards to hunting and retrieving and warning me of potential danger, and backing me up in battle if it ever came to that. They ain't called man's best friend for nothing haha. 

#8 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:54 AM

Aww, sweetie, just no.  Maybe you should do some more research.

Also, "providing a host"? What kind of asshole adopts a pet just to force it to be a host for something else? 

Edited by Duchess, 10 February 2019 - 04:05 AM.

#9 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Poking not recommended

• Moderators
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:39 AM

My familiar would be my pet. Familiars are essentially helpful entities which are commonly known for assisting witches and cunning folk in their practice of magick. They can appear in numerous forms; often as an animal, but occasionally as a human or humanoid figure. By having a pet, one is simply providing a host for the familiar to work through. I'm willing to bet there's probably some kind of ritual or spell for that too; the equivalent of putting an open-for-business sign on your pet for any and all friendly familiars.

My choice would be a dog because I'm a mountain man lol; a dog would really come in handy in regards to hunting and retrieving and warning me of potential danger, and backing me up in battle if it ever came to that. They ain't called man's best friend for nothing haha.

It would be of great benefit for you to do a basic search on what a familiar actually is. We have lots of info on the site, use the search bar to find it. Pets shouldn’t be conduits for otherworldly beings. There are methods, sure. You can do it with humans too. It’s called possession and it’s torture, where the living being becomes an involuntary vessel and loses some or all of their will. Why do this to a pet?

RSKHFMY

#10 citoyenne

citoyenne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:40 AM

LOL
OK I am trying really hard to not make some crude joke about putting an open-for-business sign on my dog for entities to.. mount them....
Really Hard. Oh gods I'm just making it worse.... :dies:

That aside I am with Duchess. I couldn't imagine just forcing my pets to act as some sort of host for entities, that contradicts the notion of "pet" which is defined as an animal kept as a companion or favourite. I mean, ok I guess, if you're the type who wants to force dominion and needs a little sack of flesh encasing an interloping spirit without giving a thought towards the actual owner of that sack of flesh and their suffering. I know there are all kinds out there, but those people don't seem like the touchy feely dreamscape spirit guide type.

It sounds like, mr Mountain Man, that what you need really is just a watchdog if you're worried about going into battle(?)

My familiars are non-corporeal entities.

#11 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:54 AM

In addition to the numerous threads on familiars on the forum, I had this article pointed out to me recently. It is quite good and perhaps of use to the O.P. http://ioqayin.tumbl...familiar-spirit

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#12 Guest_Sollomyn_*

Guest_Sollomyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:57 AM

My mistake; I was misinformed. 

Thanks Oroboros for at least being respectful about it. 

PS: An animal is a primitive lifeform driven by instinct; it really wouldn't care if a higher being were communicating through it, let alone even be aware of it. Also, given the loyal nature of dogs, if a higher being were to use him to protect or guide me, I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I was under the impression that familiars took the form of animals, and seeing as animals don't just pop up out of thin air, I assumed familiars used animals as vessels. I'm sorry, but if you tell me your cat Fluffy who just shit in the litter box over there was previously nothing but a ball of energy that willed itself into a flesh and blood animal, I'm going to be highly skeptical; it just makes more sense that an entity took control over an animal's body for the purposes of assisting you for whatever reason they may have had. 

Edited by Sollomyn, 10 February 2019 - 10:58 AM.

#13 Guest_Sollomyn_*

Guest_Sollomyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:16 AM

you're worried about going into battle(?)

Of course I am; it's a legitimate concern. There are crazy people and aggressive animals in this world, many of which will try to hurt you if they get the chance. 

It is wise to do what you can to prepare yourself for such an unfortunate eventuality. Having backup is always a good thing. 

But you're right; what I really need is a pet; whether or not they're also a spirit guide lol. Really doesn't matter. 

#14 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:31 PM

Nurture yourself.

Source Animal Spirit Guides by Steven D. Farmer

#15 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

Thank you Onyx.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#16 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:57 PM

The day before yesterdey I was taking care of my plants when I realized that was a dead collared dove under one of my pines. The poor animal has just died because it's corpse did not yet have rigor mortis. I decided to collect some of its parts in order to use them in crafts of soul flying.

As I usually do when I found out a dead animal witch parts I use on my rites, I gave thanks to the dove for its parts and I wished her a good journey to the Other Side.

In the las 5 years I  had some difficult times (My glaucoma got worse, I discovered that my parents are not the kind people that I thought, I moved to another city, etc ...) and my brain blocked some emotions in order to manage a lot of suffering. Maybe I wanted to pretend be more strong than I really was...

Well, while I was collecting the parts of the dove (wings, feet, feathers, head and heart) I had a feeling I had never experienced before while I was collecting, as if the spirit of the dove spoke directly to my heart, like a gentle loving touch. I felt as if a dam were breaking inside of me and all the tears I represed for a long time flowed down my face. It was refreshing.

Maybe this can sound odd, but it's true. And I'n considering to aksing the spirit of that dove to join me in the Arte as an ally, a familiar.

I would like to know your opinion about that matter, please. I have a baby souldoll as a familiar but I never recruited a dead animal's soul as a familiar before.

———————-
I just saw this and it made me think of your post. It may or may not have any meaning for you... but given the timing I thought I’d share:

"The birds they sang at the break of day
"Start again", I heard them say
Don't dwell on what has passed away
Or what is yet to be

Ah, the wars they will be fought again
The holy dove, she will be caught again
Bought and sold and bought again
The dove is never free

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in."