• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 emurray612

emurray612

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:17 AM

hi guys, i am fairly new to this site. i joined a few years ago, but then my late husband died, so i was not very active. however, i am a witch, aged 57,working alone with my old ginger cat "harry" in an urban area of scotland. i don't follow any special rules or rituals, nro have any fixed beliefs but keep an open mind and an open heart to all schools of thought, just do my own thing as instinct leads me, and knew i had power and charms others did not even when i was a very young child growing up :)

well anyway, the last few years i have a very old antique wooden box, and i have been adding to it, things i could use in the future, without meaning to sound too gruesome, i have collected in the box, dead but perfect condition butterflies and moths, about 30 of my cat's whiskers that he shed naturally, and the tails of mousies and rats that he catches and brings in for me (he eats the rest of them ). i have a few birds claws too that harry caught and brought in, and also a birds beak. does anyone have any idea how i could use these items for my witches work please ? the only thing i had thought myself was of doing a burial with one at a time, as part of a spell, burying each with a crystal. but i feel certain they have more importance than this if i only knew. thanks guys x

"virtus junxit mort non separabit."

#2 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

Greetings emurray, I also have a box of Cat's Whiskers, carefully saved in a little box. They are very lucky. I do not however collect all of my cats kills although I was tempted one day when he presented me with three Hummingbird bodies all lined up in a row.
Lots of witches collect bones and parts to include in their magic as a way of connecting with the spirit and attributes of the animal.

#3 Khundekling

Khundekling

Above Average Member

• Moderators
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:13 PM

Why would bury them with crystals?

Cat's Whiskers can be used in wishing spells or I've heard of them being used for protection as well. 

As moths have a strong connection with the moon, I would have thought anything regarding lunar work would be a good use for it. 

Butterflies are associated with transformations, for obvious reasons and in some cultures are linked with the soul.

Are the rat and mice tails dried? Maybe you could use them for sigils?

Numerous Bird claws can be used for protection. Perhaps make it into neckless or to hang up. 

And the beak, again maybe use as a pendant or keep for part of a divination set. I'm only guessing here but I would assume it could be used in a communication spell.

life is better with a biscuit

#4 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:53 PM

Nice reply Khundekling,
I would keep my crystals, they are too expensive to lose. They can be reprogrammed for other purposes.
I use my Cat whiskers as part of a spell for Luck. I burn them with my spell candle and I say my wish as they burn.

#5 emurray612

emurray612

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:18 AM

thanks "onyx" i guess i was thinking of somehow connecting with the spirit of the animals for them to protect me when i thought of burying some of the body parts with a crystal as an offering to the animal, but having thought about it now, if i was going to do a burial for a blessing or to bond with the animal, then i would bury the whole animal not just the tail or claw ??????

thanks "khundekling", what a great idea to make protection amulets or pendants witdh the claws and beak :) will defo do this :) i could even then sell them on ebay, as magical items are popular there :)

thanks again "onyx", yes i have read that burning a cats whisker and making a wish into the smoke, really works well :) but at the same time i like keeping them too, so i might simply keep the whiskers and dried mousies tails for now until instinct or spirit leads me to know how i should use them when the right time comes :)

you are right, butterflies represent metamorphosis, and moths are linked with the moon :) why didn't i think of that before ??????? we have a special supermoon coming up this month, so i will use the moth for this night :)

thanks to both of you for your inspiration xxxxxxxxx

having mentioned ebay, i was bidding on 3 very old and very small silver phallic charms that a man (the seller) found with his metal detector recently down south england, and i really wanted them for my old magical box, knowing they were probably buried by another witch. i went up to $101 for them, but they went for far more than this :( almost $140 if i recall.

i guess i could also list my cats whiskers and maybe some of the other animal parts he caught on ebay too, but i would not fully trust anyone i didn;t know to use things so intimate to my cat harry the right way :)

#6 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:13 PM

@emurray612 If you have not done so, I’d suggest meditating with any animal part you have and connect with the spirit of the animal this way first. After making a connection, what, if anything, the animal can do to work with you should become more apparent. There are of course standard folklore magic uses for this part and that. But even then a connection and understanding makes the difference between magic and just an object, I think.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#7 GraceWhite

GraceWhite

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:20 PM

I'm really glad I'm not the only mad woman with a box of whiskers :D
One of my cats - can't tell which one - deposited a large rat outside the window today, I know my other half would insist on the poor creature being thrown in the bin, but I was wondering if you guys had any better recommended uses? I have a stump in my garden where I leave offerings for the fae, and I've left cat-presents there before like a Crow and a magpie, big things they've brought down, but I know fae are easily insulted and I'm just not sure a rat is appropriate

#8 GraceWhite

GraceWhite

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:23 PM

Also I hope this isnt considered thread jacking - I just thought it was so similar to the topic that it fit but please let me know if I've done the wrong thing

#9 Khundekling

Khundekling

Above Average Member

• Moderators
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:39 PM

I guess it would depend what you associate the Rat with? Some think of them as vermin and link them to disease and death. Others will see them as intelligent animals with links to adaptability, survival maybe even fertility as they certainly produce a lot of offspring! lol You could use parts of the animal, like with the OP having rat tails. Or you could bury it, wait for nature to do it's thing and retrieve the bones at a later date. Now this something I've only thought about and don't know if it is a practice, hopefully someone can tell me if I'm talking rubbish. But if you bury an animal and plant something above it. As the animal feeds the plant, would it take on magical properties of that animal?

#10 GraceWhite

GraceWhite

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:21 PM

I personally have a lot of affection for rats, my sister had pet rats and I do like them, it's just that I'd be worried the fae would have a different opinion and be insulted by the offering. I could definitely bury him and then dig him back up - anyone have any idea of the kind of time frame it would take a good-sized rat to decompose to bones? And yes plants would definitely absorb a lot of energy from something buried beneath, so that's also a great idea - rats to me symbolise ingenuity and adaptability, survival and hardiness so there's lots to work with from your comment, thank you very much!

#11 Khundekling

Khundekling

Above Average Member

• Moderators
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

I usually give small animals like birds etc 6 months, I bury them though. Obviously the soil type, temperature etc. will affect things. You may find this thread helpful... http://www.tradition...urying +animals

Edited by Khundekling, 13 February 2019 - 04:41 PM.

#12 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:26 PM

@Khundekling... interesting idea. I’m just talking off the cuff here I have never heard or read of that as a practice either... My thinking is that any plant already has its own essence and spirit and tendencies so I’m not sure how that would work as it’s not like imposing the traits of the animal on a blank slate. Perhaps if the traits of the plant and the animal were highly similar or complimentary? Still seems, idk like an unnatural alteration for the plant.
Now while this is splitting hairs as far as the physical action being pretty much the same- the intent is quite different. Seems that an animal buried at the base of a plant or tree that was intended as an OFFERING to it may be interesting. Then the other thing that comes to mind— the name for this escapes me at the moment, but people used to bury an animal or sometimes a human under the foundation of a new building, especially churches, and the animal acted as a ward for said building. So working off that idea, I wonder if certain animals buried at the base of a tree, say at the edge of one’s yard could be part of a warding technique. Again- more or less talking out my ass here- not something I have done or researched or considered extensively.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#13 emurray612

emurray612

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:51 AM

about the character of rats and how they are viewed, yes some people see them as vermin and associate with disease, and some people asscoiate them with intelligence and agility. for myself i assciate them as the "underdogs" of the animal world, shunned by most people, given a hard time, and so needing a lot of compassion and new understanding x

in this way i don't feel the fae would be insulted, if you were handing the rat;s body over to them to guard it and give it a happier ending :)

as i said originally, i only keep the tails of rats and mice, or the claws of birds that my cat catches and brings to me as a gift, simply for practical reasons because i have no way to keep the whole animal apart from in the freezer which doesn't appeal to me. so the only alternative would be to bury the whole animal, which is why i would bury a crystal or gemstone with it as an offering to the animal in return for the animal blessing me x

so for now i keep just the tails and the claws dried, in my old wooden box, and trust the spirits to guide me how and when to use them in the future x

one of you mentioned making pendants from the birds beaks i have, and i wonder that i i could actually even make an amulet, in the form of a pendant possibly, for protection, with a few of the tails and claws also ?

i don't get bad vibes from keeping just the tails and claws, because after all, my cat harry, who is also my familiar and soul mate, brought them in and laid them by my chair as an offering to me and a gift to me x so i just take the part i want to keep, and he eats the rest, if it is a mouse or bird, but he won;t eat rats obviously x so i usually put the rest of the rats body in the river opposite my house, and wish him well on his journey x after all, most of the rats harry catches are not "dirty" rats that we find in drains under buildings, but actually wild water rats that he catches along the river bank opposite, where they live x so it seems appropriate to cast them into the river to continue their journey x

i also have a lot of taxidermy animals in my home from aboutd 100 years old, that i purchased from antiques dealers. i have a real grizzly bear rug, complete with head and wide open jaws with original teeth, and a beautiful wolf rug, also with head and bared teeth, also some smaller animals, my fave of which is a large black raven, which has been perched on a very realistic looking human skull x i call him ebenezer, an he is on the top of the tall book case where he keeps his beady eye on me at my desk. i feel i have given my discarded antique animals a good home to end up in, and i stroke them often, talk to them softly, and i don;t feel any bad vibes, as i am tuned into their spirits and they protect me and my home, just as i am protecting ther bodies x

also my cat harry loves to cuddle up to the bear rug head to sleep x

i;ve actually had the huge grizzly bear on my bed one night, and fell asleep snuggled up to his huge head, and i felt the bond between me and the bear x

a male friend who claims to be "psychic" came here to visit at christmas, and he told me he felt the spirit of a small animal lying on his lap, but the animal was contented and happy to be here. neither of us could think what animal it could be, then as he was leaving, he spotted my small taxidermy polecat on a small table in a corner, and said, "that;s the wee animal that was on my lap ! and i can tell you he is happy here !" my polecat is designed climbing a branch, with faux ivy trailing up the branch and around his feet x

apart from my living cat harry, my animals are all around me in my home, and i feel a sense of peace with them and protection from them.

they were costly for me to buy, but i would never sell them, as this would give me bad vibes. they will remain with me hopefully until it is my time, and then be left to another true witch to treasure them the same way i have x

#14 GraceWhite

GraceWhite

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:22 PM

Your house sounds amazing emurray, it's really cool you have such large sympathetic connections to two massive predators, I can only imagine the feeling of safety that must come along with it :D I have decided to leave the rat as an offering but made sure to let the local spirits know that I would prefer to at least keep his skull if possible - and I didn't feel any negativity from the implication of it being a rat, in fact I felt like it was appreciated to be honest, which is great.
Khundekling thank you for that link it was really really helpful, there's a post in it, on the second page I think, that has a huge wealth of links to more info as well so its really great :D
Oroboros I don't think that you're completely talking out your arse I'd say you've got some solid theory there - I'd also agree that it would probably be for the best to try and somewhat "match" the qualities of the animal to the plant you were imbuing with its qualities, but I don't know if it is necessary - there's a chance that if you picked opposing energies there could be some sort of negative effect - not sure though it would possibly require some experimentation. I could be completely wrong on that though, it could be that the opposites worked together, it's hard to know. I would say that if you wanted to use an animal's spirit tied into a tree for warding you would probably want to specify that intent while burying it - and possibly turn the process into a more complex rite to ensure that the spirit both stayed tied into the tree and performed the function you intended

#15 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:08 PM

emurray, I would love to see a photo of Ebenezer sitting on the skull, he sounds fantastic.

#16 emurray612

emurray612

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:51 PM

onyx i don't have a photo just of ebenezer alone, otherwise i would post it for you, but if you search "dr elizabeth murray scotland antiques and fine arts" it will take you straight to my page witdh hundreds of pics of my whole home interior, which is pretty amazing in itself. when my page opens, ignore all the text and just click on "photos" down the left hand column. this will open up every photo i have of the interior of my house, and you will see a lot of things you will adore, as i have created a real old cross between hogwarts castle from harry potter, and the olde curiosity shoppe from dickens :) i'd valuye your commentds on it in fact x

#17 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:25 PM

OMG emurry, I would love to have an "olde curiosity shoppe" So much fun and I did notice some awesome jewellery and rings. In fact, a lot of my stuff would fit right in with yours.
Your hat pin collection is huge, I have always liked them, but never had any, my Grandmother did though. There were lots of hats back in the day.
I noticed a lot of items that could be used for magickal purposes. You must find it hard not to take it all home with you.
I found Ebenezer!

Edited by Onyx, 18 February 2019 - 10:26 PM.

#18 emurray612

emurray612

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:17 PM

thanks so much for taking the time to look up my antiques business page onyx, but did you reaalise that all you saw is actuallyinside my home, as i work and sell from home, so all you saw is actually things i live with and use every day of my life :) :) xxxxxxxx

#19 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:57 PM

Well I can understand how hard it would be to sell some of your stuff, it is all so beautiful. I love old things, they are so much better made than modern items.
I really treasure my old china and silver that I received from my Mother and Father when they passed. I only hope that my children love it as much as I. Unfortunately, usually it is the girls who like it and not the boys. I have two boys, so who knows who will want it.

#20 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:54 PM

Unfortunately, usually it is the girls who like it and not the boys. I have two boys, so who knows who will want it.

You may have daughters-in-law at some point. And my gay BFFs adore their fancy china and crystal. My fine china was my husband's 2nd wife's grandmother's. He kept it after her death & I fell in love with it. Things like that tend to find their way to loving hands.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website