• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:18 PM

I have some candles that are supposed to have flames that change colors, they were a waste of money. I suppose I could use them as an emergency supply. They are supposed to be Birthday Candles.

#22 bluelily

bluelily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:37 PM

I LOVE candles! I even make my own.

What kind of candles do you prefer to use? Votive, stick, tea light? What kind of material? -      All of the above. For spells I often utilize smaller tapers. I prefer beeswax , but also use parrafin/soy
Where do you get your candles? Do you make or buy them? Where or what of?-        I make my own using beeswax, parrafin and soy. I also have store bought tapers/pillars.
What do you do with your candle remains after a spell? What if not for a spell?                   I throw away what needs discarded. Its use has already been utilized. 
How do you clean your candle holders? How do clean up wax on altars, cloths, tools or holders?                    Heat gun to melt it down, and scrub or scrape it off. 
How do you light your candles? Short matches, long? Lighters, wicks?              Lighters!

#23 Adare

Adare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:07 AM

Birthday candles! Damn that's a good idea. You can even get those ones that are impossible to blow out - relight them selves - would be neat to work with if it's a bit windy out!

I really like that idea! And the pranking element is delicious too! "You think you put me out? I'll show you!"  :D

Edited by Adare, 09 February 2019 - 06:08 AM.

#24 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:36 PM

What type of candle I use depends entirely on the purpose. Pillars or jars are nice for altars, though I use tapers here sometimes. Size- well depends how long you want that candle around for. I keep mostly plain white or natural beeswax around, and a good quantity of black. I have a few colored candles but find that inscribing a candle with something and or dressing it is more than sufficient in attaching it to its purposes- color mattering very little in general. And as previously mentioned I use lighters, as they are convenient and intended to make fire. :)

Mainly just posting to share this (YMMV): I recently discovered that the cheap little wooden tools designed for sculpting clay, are very useful in wax clean up. Specifically there is one shaped similarly to a butter knife. But with this you can scrape or pop off cold wax without damaging the surface the wax is on. Also found you can jab it into a candle stump that is stuck wiggle a little and pop out the cold wax. Seems that the wood is textured just enough to get some grip on the wax.

{Edited to add- while a good nail,heavy needle, or thorn are excellent(and sometimes preferred), some clay tools are also great for carving candles. There are various metal tipped tools that are also cheap.}

Attached Files

Edited by Oroboros, 09 February 2019 - 09:49 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#25 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:46 PM

What kind of candles do you prefer to use? Votive, stick, tea light? What kind of material? - For one-off spells I prefer 2-hour burn time, 4-inch bees wax "chime" candles as an affordable size for natural material; for long-term efforts a 7-day candle in glass & let it burn uninterrupted. For shrine "offertory candles" I like the convenience of 8-hour tea lights. I use white but have an unopened pack of black T-lights collecting dust ... .

Where do you get your candles? I stock up once a year on bulk supplies of T-lights on line from amazon & beeswax on-line from BlueKorn; & 7-day candles as needed from my local grocery store, ethnic foods section. Then there's rose or carnation scented T's or votives from Shorties Candles on-line for the joy of nose-candy when I need a treat. I'm a secret candle-holic.

Do you make or buy them? On-line purchase.
Where or what of? I went thru a candle making phase just for the experience & decided that was enough of that experience.

What do you do with your candle remains after a spell? - there's seldom anything left but if so, wrap remains in paper & put them in the trash. Wax & wick are fuel & the flame is the spell, IMO.

What if not for a spell? I put them in the trash.

How do you clean your candle holders? - Set the glass or brass holder in the freezer for 15-30 min & the wax pries off with a plastic orange peeler. Then wash with soap & warm water; hand towel dry.

How do clean up wax on altars, cloths, tools or holders? - use a handheld blow hair dryer to soften & wipe wax off hard surfaces with paper towel. Stick cloth in the freezer, as above.

How do you light your candles? Short matches, long? Lighters, wicks? - I often use book-stlyle incense-matches & will light the offertory candle from the incense-match. If no stinkies are desired I use a lighter. Any spell candles usually are lighted from the offertory candle.

Edited by Zombee, 20 July 2019 - 07:13 PM.

#26 Watersiren

Watersiren

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 04:08 AM

This is such a fun discussion about candle use. Great to see and hear how others do it.

I also love Birthday cake candles for their size and utility in quick fix spells and small workings.

Love the beeswax type - but it isnt always practical and they tend to run on the costlier side.

Tealights and votives are great staples. I tend to use primarily white and dress and charge them with intent and purpose rather than having a number of coloured ones on hand.

#27 Mona

Mona

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:27 PM

What kind of candles do you prefer to use? Votive, stick, tea light? What kind of material?
Where do you get your candles? Do you make or buy them? Where or what of?
What do you do with your candle remains after a spell? What if not for a spell?
How do you clean your candle holders? How do clean up wax on altars, cloths, tools or holders?
How do you light your candles? Short matches, long? Lighters, wicks?

I make my own of bees wax. Can make them smaller or bigger as wanted, and I can make them quick. They usually does not leave any ramains, just a bit of ash. I have metallic holders, what keeps warm for a while after candle finishes. It is easy to clean while it still warm. Loved the idea to put in freezer if missed warmth. :) Have lighted with matches, lighters, wicks...anything what can set fire. 

#28 Mona

Mona

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:13 PM

Oh, forgot one more thing. Some times I'm using funeral candles, what has been placed beside coffin. This kind I'm using only for a real needs. There is a possibility to use one more than once. Not easy to get them of course so will keep even a bit of 2-3". 

#29 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:57 PM

Where do you get the funeral candles? I have a vision of you lurking around funerals waiting to pinch their candles. Wearing your trench coat with the large pockets.

#30 Mona

Mona

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:44 PM

Yes, right, I have picked a few myself after ceremony, but I was dressed well :)) The rest I have got from Russia, people sent them to me as thanks.

#31 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:24 PM

I have a neighbor who makes beeswax candles.  Not alot of color variety, but I love them.  For indoor use I like the pillar type, outside I use the little votives.  I found a smoke shop that sells these amazing foot long matchsticks in all different colors!  I would like to learn candle making.  Any suggestions on how to start?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: candle