ravengraey

Can we talk candles?

Of course there is discussion about candle-use dispersed all over these forums but as far as I can tell, not one dedicated to candle use and specifically the practicalities of them. So please forgive if this seems redundant.

Here’s what’s on my mind:

What kind of candles do you prefer to use? Votive, stick, tea light? What kind of material?

Where do you get your candles? Do you make or buy them? Where or what of?

What do you do with your candle remains after a spell? What if not for a spell?

How do you clean your candle holders? How do clean up wax on altars, cloths, tools or holders?

How do you light your candles? Short matches, long? Lighters, wicks?

Let’s talk!

Wow! That is a lot of questions... OMG! I love candles,I use the spell candles, I have every color just so I can whip up a spell at any moment.

I buy them from my local Occult store, I know white can substitute for any color, but I still like to use the correct corespondance color if possible.

Wooden matches, but a lighter if that's all I have.

I put my candle holders in the freezer to remove wax.

• Upvote 1

Are your candle holders metal so the wax just pops off? Or does that work with glass as well? I’ve been struggling with how to get wax off glass.....

I use the little glass ones and I was breaking them all the time with hot water. So I tried putting them in the freezer and the wax pops right out.

• Upvote 1

Because I HATE cleaning candle holders, I tend to buy the novena-style candles for any sort of working. I will sometimes also buy the ones with Catholic iconography if they suit my purpose/intention. Because I live in a largely Catholic area, I can buy these at my grocery store very easily. I use wooden matches, or, more often than not, will simply light the candle with a stick of incense before I blow it out.

The other thing I love about the glass novena style candles is that I can draw/write all over the outsides of them for whatever working I'm doing. 

The working will let me know what I should do with the remains. Generally, I just close the intention and toss what's left over. 

Most of my candle burnings take place in my kitchen, because I just light them when I'm around and leave them going as long as I'm on the premises. I love to glance over and have a reminder of the work I'm doing even as I go about my day. 

I use the little glass ones and I was breaking them all the time with hot water. So I tried putting them in the freezer and the wax pops right out.

Ahhh okay- I use little glass ones too and I’ve been using hot water but there is always residue which requires a lot of wiping and wasting of paper towels. I’ll try them in the freezer.

The other thing I love about the glass novena style candles is that I can draw/write all over the outsides of them for whatever working I'm doing.

The working will let me know what I should do with the remains. Generally, I just close the intention and toss what's left over.

Most of my candle burnings take place in my kitchen, because I just light them when I'm around and leave them going as long as I'm on the premises. I love to glance over and have a reminder of the work I'm doing even as I go about my day.

I *do* love that you can write on them. I don’t know why but I always feel like just throwing leftovers of a spell away is wrong. I always assumed they needed to be buried or burned or drowned, etc.

Some spells supposedly don’t take effect until the candle goes out so with novenas it seems like it’ll take forever! Being able to get them super cheap and then toss them is definitely a plus though.

Even my long matches burn too fast when I’m trying to light a bunch of candles so I’m always trying to find a better way to light them.

I use large (5cm by 20cm) white pillar candles on my ancestor shrine. I light them at least once a week and then welcome and later dismiss with bells and snuff with a bras snuffer.

Other than that, for most everyday things I'll use the mini tea lights and anoint and enscribe them as needed.

For something really special I'll either dip (ugly but fun!) or mold my own from paraffin wax with a bit of crayon for colour. If you make your own buy good quality wicks of the correct size for the candles you want to make.

If I were very rich I would use nothing but bee's wax as it is both natural, and smells lovely as it burns.

Here’s what’s on my mind:

What kind of candles do you prefer to use? Votive, stick, tea light? What kind of material?

How do you clean your candle holders? How do clean up wax on altars, cloths, tools or holders?

Let’s talk!

I tend to use tea lights. What the dollar store sells. 

Dollar store. I don't make candles well. 

Nice thing about tea lights is they don't usually have much left over. Bury if not. 

To clean wax get brown paper like a shopping bag and place on wax, iron with no steam. Freeze candle holders and the wax pops out. 

Matches. Always matches. 

When doing bindings or wax poppets I use beeswax. Just melt a bit on in a can. 

The Spell candles usually do not leave much residue, I usually place spell or candle remains at the base of my old Apple Tree. Likewise any offerings that I have leftover.

The Spell candles usually do not leave much residue, I usually place spell or candle remains at the base of my old Apple Tree. Likewise any offerings that I have leftover.

What kind of candles? The little pillar colored ones?

I use the small taper candles, they are only 4 ins long. sometimes they are called chime candles.

Usually they take about one hour to burn, and they don't leave much of a residue to dispose of.

I've taken to working basically with small candles exclusively! I haven't done workings that extend for several days, so I prefer smaller candles that can be used easily for one-shots and are easy to store.

Tea lights are great! Sometimes I get my candles from either Big Dipper Wax Works (for beeswax) or off of Etsy (I've got my eyes on some of Elizaville Beeswax's shiny rose-gold 6-inch candles. That'll be for a splurge). I haven't made a candle yet, but I've considered it. It'd be such a potent tool to add to a working, but alas, I haven't made time for it.

I'm considering putting birthday candles into my travel altar. The size is so convenient.

Birthday candles are perfect for a quicky spell, and they come in all colors, even black!

I normally use small votives or even tea lights if I don’t have time to let it burn. I typically carve runes or sigils in them and then anoint/dress with oils. Most of the time there isn’t really any wax left. However when there is, I just throw it away. I struggled about how to dispose of it in the beginning but then I read something where a practitioner considered the wax “spent” after it was done burning.

Surly this all depends on what you're using the candle for. 

I tend to buy mine but for decorative ones around the home I make my own. I save the scraps from spent candles, melt them down and make a new one. 

I bury any leftover wax used in a spell. 

Candle holders hot/warm water usually does it. I always put my candles on a piece of glass or a plate, something like that. Makes it much easier to clean. Just scrape off the wax and clean it like the holder. 

Normal candles I'll use what ever.. matches, lighter, a lit fart! But I'll never light a spell candle directly. Can't remember where I read or heard it but it/they said never to light a candle you are using in a working with a match because of the sulphur. So I will always have a lit tealight before I perform any candle magic and light the spell candle from that. 

Edited by Khundekling

Normal candles I'll use what ever.. matches, lighter, a lit fart! But I'll never light a spell candle directly. Can't remember where I read or heard it but it/they said never to light a candle you are using in a working with a match because of the sulphur. So I will always have a lit tealight before I perform any candle magic and light the spell candle from that.

Well that is the first time I have heard of not using matches because of Sulfur. After all, that gets burnt off in the lighting action. I did hear you should use wooden matches because of the power of the wood. I'm not actually trying to call up the Devil.

Those kind of lighters are nice, I think they are meant for lighting pipes.

I've taken to working basically with small candles exclusively! I haven't done workings that extend for several days, so I prefer smaller candles that can be used easily for one-shots and are easy to store.

I'm considering putting birthday candles into my travel altar. The size is so convenient.

Birthday candles are perfect for a quicky spell, and they come in all colors, even black!

Birthday candles! Damn that's a good idea. You can even get those ones that are impossible to blow out - relight them selves - would be neat to work with if it's a bit windy out!

I have some candles that are supposed to have flames that change colors, they were a waste of money. I suppose I could use them as an emergency supply. They are supposed to be Birthday Candles.

• Upvote 2

I LOVE candles! I even make my own.

What kind of candles do you prefer to use? Votive, stick, tea light? What kind of material? -      All of the above. For spells I often utilize smaller tapers. I prefer beeswax , but also use parrafin/soy
Where do you get your candles? Do you make or buy them? Where or what of?-        I make my own using beeswax, parrafin and soy. I also have store bought tapers/pillars.
What do you do with your candle remains after a spell? What if not for a spell?                   I throw away what needs discarded. Its use has already been utilized. 
How do you clean your candle holders? How do clean up wax on altars, cloths, tools or holders?                    Heat gun to melt it down, and scrub or scrape it off. 
How do you light your candles? Short matches, long? Lighters, wicks?              Lighters!

Birthday candles! Damn that's a good idea. You can even get those ones that are impossible to blow out - relight them selves - would be neat to work with if it's a bit windy out!

I really like that idea! And the pranking element is delicious too! "You think you put me out? I'll show you!"  :D

Edited by Adare

What type of candle I use depends entirely on the purpose. Pillars or jars are nice for altars, though I use tapers here sometimes. Size- well depends how long you want that candle around for. I keep mostly plain white or natural beeswax around, and a good quantity of black. I have a few colored candles but find that inscribing a candle with something and or dressing it is more than sufficient in attaching it to its purposes- color mattering very little in general. And as previously mentioned I use lighters, as they are convenient and intended to make fire. :)

Mainly just posting to share this (YMMV): I recently discovered that the cheap little wooden tools designed for sculpting clay, are very useful in wax clean up. Specifically there is one shaped similarly to a butter knife. But with this you can scrape or pop off cold wax without damaging the surface the wax is on. Also found you can jab it into a candle stump that is stuck wiggle a little and pop out the cold wax. Seems that the wood is textured just enough to get some grip on the wax.

{Edited to add- while a good nail,heavy needle, or thorn are excellent(and sometimes preferred), some clay tools are also great for carving candles. There are various metal tipped tools that are also cheap.}

post-3315-0-59049100-1549748170_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Oroboros
  • Upvote 1

What kind of candles do you prefer to use? Votive, stick, tea light? What kind of material? - For one-off spells I prefer 2-hour burn time, 4-inch bees wax "chime" candles as an affordable size for natural material; for long-term efforts a 7-day candle in glass & let it burn uninterrupted. For shrine "offertory candles" I like the convenience of 8-hour tea lights. I use white but have an unopened pack of black T-lights collecting dust ... .

Where do you get your candles? I stock up once a year on bulk supplies of T-lights on line from amazon & beeswax on-line from BlueKorn; & 7-day candles as needed from my local grocery store, ethnic foods section. Then there's rose or carnation scented T's or votives from Shorties Candles on-line for the joy of nose-candy when I need a treat. I'm a secret candle-holic.

Do you make or buy them? On-line purchase.

Where or what of? I went thru a candle making phase just for the experience & decided that was enough of that experience.

What do you do with your candle remains after a spell? - there's seldom anything left but if so, wrap remains in paper & put them in the trash. Wax & wick are fuel & the flame is the spell, IMO.

What if not for a spell? I put them in the trash.

How do you clean your candle holders? - Set the glass or brass holder in the freezer for 15-30 min & the wax pries off with a plastic orange peeler. Then wash with soap & warm water; hand towel dry.

How do clean up wax on altars, cloths, tools or holders? - use a handheld blow hair dryer to soften & wipe wax off hard surfaces with paper towel. Stick cloth in the freezer, as above.

How do you light your candles? Short matches, long? Lighters, wicks? - I often use book-stlyle incense-matches & will light the offertory candle from the incense-match. If no stinkies are desired I use a lighter. Any spell candles usually are lighted from the offertory candle.

Edited by Zombee