• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Graeyrain

Graeyrain

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:51 PM

Of course there is discussion about candle-use dispersed all over these forums but as far as I can tell, not one dedicated to candle use and specifically the practicalities of them. So please forgive if this seems redundant.

Here’s what’s on my mind:

What kind of candles do you prefer to use? Votive, stick, tea light? What kind of material?
Where do you get your candles? Do you make or buy them? Where or what of?
What do you do with your candle remains after a spell? What if not for a spell?
How do you clean your candle holders? How do clean up wax on altars, cloths, tools or holders?
How do you light your candles? Short matches, long? Lighters, wicks?

Let’s talk!

#2 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:29 PM

Wow! That is a lot of questions... OMG! I love candles,I use the spell candles, I have every color just so I can whip up a spell at any moment.
I buy them from my local Occult store, I know white can substitute for any color, but I still like to use the correct corespondance color if possible.
Wooden matches, but a lighter if that's all I have.
I put my candle holders in the freezer to remove wax.

#3 Graeyrain

Graeyrain

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:02 PM

Are your candle holders metal so the wax just pops off? Or does that work with glass as well? I’ve been struggling with how to get wax off glass.....

#4 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

I use the little glass ones and I was breaking them all the time with hot water. So I tried putting them in the freezer and the wax pops right out.

#5 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:54 PM

Because I HATE cleaning candle holders, I tend to buy the novena-style candles for any sort of working. I will sometimes also buy the ones with Catholic iconography if they suit my purpose/intention. Because I live in a largely Catholic area, I can buy these at my grocery store very easily. I use wooden matches, or, more often than not, will simply light the candle with a stick of incense before I blow it out.

The other thing I love about the glass novena style candles is that I can draw/write all over the outsides of them for whatever working I'm doing. 

The working will let me know what I should do with the remains. Generally, I just close the intention and toss what's left over. 

Most of my candle burnings take place in my kitchen, because I just light them when I'm around and leave them going as long as I'm on the premises. I love to glance over and have a reminder of the work I'm doing even as I go about my day. 

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#6 Graeyrain

Graeyrain

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:20 PM

I use the little glass ones and I was breaking them all the time with hot water. So I tried putting them in the freezer and the wax pops right out.

Ahhh okay- I use little glass ones too and I’ve been using hot water but there is always residue which requires a lot of wiping and wasting of paper towels. I’ll try them in the freezer.

The other thing I love about the glass novena style candles is that I can draw/write all over the outsides of them for whatever working I'm doing.

The working will let me know what I should do with the remains. Generally, I just close the intention and toss what's left over.

Most of my candle burnings take place in my kitchen, because I just light them when I'm around and leave them going as long as I'm on the premises. I love to glance over and have a reminder of the work I'm doing even as I go about my day.

I *do* love that you can write on them. I don’t know why but I always feel like just throwing leftovers of a spell away is wrong. I always assumed they needed to be buried or burned or drowned, etc.

Some spells supposedly don’t take effect until the candle goes out so with novenas it seems like it’ll take forever! Being able to get them super cheap and then toss them is definitely a plus though.

Even my long matches burn too fast when I’m trying to light a bunch of candles so I’m always trying to find a better way to light them.

#7 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:43 PM

Yes, I have lit my candles with an incense stick too.

#8 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:17 AM

I use large (5cm by 20cm) white pillar candles on my ancestor shrine. I light them at least once a week and then welcome and later dismiss with bells and snuff with a bras snuffer.

Other than that, for most everyday things I'll use the mini tea lights and anoint and enscribe them as needed.

For something really special I'll either dip (ugly but fun!) or mold my own from paraffin wax with a bit of crayon for colour. If you make your own buy good quality wicks of the correct size for the candles you want to make.

If I were very rich I would use nothing but bee's wax as it is both natural, and smells lovely as it burns.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#9 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:47 PM

Here’s what’s on my mind:

What kind of candles do you prefer to use? Votive, stick, tea light? What kind of material?
How do you clean your candle holders? How do clean up wax on altars, cloths, tools or holders?

Let’s talk!

I tend to use tea lights. What the dollar store sells. 

Dollar store. I don't make candles well. 

Nice thing about tea lights is they don't usually have much left over. Bury if not. 

To clean wax get brown paper like a shopping bag and place on wax, iron with no steam. Freeze candle holders and the wax pops out. 

Matches. Always matches. 

When doing bindings or wax poppets I use beeswax. Just melt a bit on in a can. 

#10 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

The Spell candles usually do not leave much residue, I usually place spell or candle remains at the base of my old Apple Tree. Likewise any offerings that I have leftover.

#11 Graeyrain

Graeyrain

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:47 PM

The Spell candles usually do not leave much residue, I usually place spell or candle remains at the base of my old Apple Tree. Likewise any offerings that I have leftover.

What kind of candles? The little pillar colored ones?

#12 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:39 PM

I use the small taper candles, they are only 4 ins long. sometimes they are called chime candles.
Usually they take about one hour to burn, and they don't leave much of a residue to dispose of.

#13 Adare

Adare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:50 PM

I've taken to working basically with small candles exclusively! I haven't done workings that extend for several days, so I prefer smaller candles that can be used easily for one-shots and are easy to store.

Tea lights are great! Sometimes I get my candles from either Big Dipper Wax Works (for beeswax) or off of Etsy (I've got my eyes on some of Elizaville Beeswax's shiny rose-gold 6-inch candles. That'll be for a splurge). I haven't made a candle yet, but I've considered it. It'd be such a potent tool to add to a working, but alas, I haven't made time for it.

I'm considering putting birthday candles into my travel altar. The size is so convenient.

#14 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:11 PM

Birthday candles are perfect for a quicky spell, and they come in all colors, even black!

#15 Domina

Domina

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:56 PM

I normally use small votives or even tea lights if I don’t have time to let it burn. I typically carve runes or sigils in them and then anoint/dress with oils. Most of the time there isn’t really any wax left. However when there is, I just throw it away. I struggled about how to dispose of it in the beginning but then I read something where a practitioner considered the wax “spent” after it was done burning.

#16 Khundekling

Khundekling

Huge Member

• Moderators
  • 494 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:23 PM

Surly this all depends on what you're using the candle for. 

I tend to buy mine but for decorative ones around the home I make my own. I save the scraps from spent candles, melt them down and make a new one. 

I bury any leftover wax used in a spell. 

Candle holders hot/warm water usually does it. I always put my candles on a piece of glass or a plate, something like that. Makes it much easier to clean. Just scrape off the wax and clean it like the holder. 

Normal candles I'll use what ever.. matches, lighter, a lit fart! But I'll never light a spell candle directly. Can't remember where I read or heard it but it/they said never to light a candle you are using in a working with a match because of the sulphur. So I will always have a lit tealight before I perform any candle magic and light the spell candle from that. 

Edited by Khundekling, 24 January 2019 - 03:37 PM.

life is better with a biscuit

#17 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:30 PM

Normal candles I'll use what ever.. matches, lighter, a lit fart! But I'll never light a spell candle directly. Can't remember where I read or heard it but it/they said never to light a candle you are using in a working with a match because of the sulphur. So I will always have a lit tealight before I perform any candle magic and light the spell candle from that.
[/quote]
Well that is the first time I have heard of not using matches because of Sulfur. After all, that gets burnt off in the lighting action. I did hear you should use wooden matches because of the power of the wood. I'm not actually trying to call up the Devil.

#18 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:07 PM

I use a lighter— the long mini-blow torch style kind.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#19 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:18 PM

Those kind of lighters are nice, I think they are meant for lighting pipes.

#20 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:53 AM

I've taken to working basically with small candles exclusively! I haven't done workings that extend for several days, so I prefer smaller candles that can be used easily for one-shots and are easy to store.

I'm considering putting birthday candles into my travel altar. The size is so convenient.

Birthday candles are perfect for a quicky spell, and they come in all colors, even black!

Birthday candles! Damn that's a good idea. You can even get those ones that are impossible to blow out - relight them selves - would be neat to work with if it's a bit windy out!

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: candle