3 replies to this topic

#1 Wezip

Wezip

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:42 AM

I recently looked in to my DNA ancestry and that got me to researching witches from the regions that came up...

Do any of you know of famous witches or traditional Irish / Russian / Scandinavian witchcraft practices? So far, Baba Yaga has been the most common search result...

I found out that I am mostly Ulster Irish (like 98%!!) I was kind of disappointed to be honest, I think I wanted a more interesting mix..., but also partly northwest Russian, and partly Scandinavian...

More interestingly, have any of you looked in to your ancestry? Have you discovered anything cool?

#2 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:24 AM

Do any of you know of famous witches or traditional Irish / Russian / Scandinavian witchcraft practices? So far, Baba Yaga has been the most common search result...

There's quite a few threads on here about practices of different countries. I think you may find more info on Irish witchcraft if you look for Celtic. There's also one on Scandinavian witchcraft if my memory serves me. 

I bought DNA kits for my parents, didn't come up with any surprises though. This one split Welsh, Scottish, Irish as Celtic and a separate one for British. Which I don't quite get but whatever. The majority of British people are no more than 30% and my father is 60%.

life is better with a biscuit

#3 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

I am mostly from Scandinavia 42% and the rest a mix of all the European countries and only 18% British. Those darn Vikings are responsible for everything.

#4 UnMasked1467

UnMasked1467

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:54 AM

I've thought of getting a DNA kit, but I know my ancestry pretty well already-- I'm Russian and Irish on my mom's side, and on my dad's I'm German, Pennsylvania Dutch, English, and French. Although I'd be interested in looking up witchcraft traditions from those regions, I'm more interested in my specific background, i.e., my ancestors. I can't explain it, but my father's paternal side draws my interest specifically. My Irish grandma (on my mother's side) and I played around with the tarot, runes and astrology when I was a kid, so there is something witchy there for sure. But there is also something about my grandfather on my dad's side that is curious to me. A lot of secrets died with him, it seems.