Photo
- - - - -

What's your favourite form of divination?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Hunter

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:11 AM

:flyaway:  So I thought I'd open up this topic since it's a fun topic & I couldn't find a thread.

Personally I'm really into multiple forms of divination. Tarot, visualisation, pyromancy & now I have a set of oracle cards to which I'm learning how to use... I think I've finally linked with them tonight, I've been practicing with them for days building an energy link. 

I'm rapidly picking things up again since my period of witchy absence (long weird story involving homelessness etc it's over now & I'm settled).

I find there are so many arts towards practicing divination... the good news is the dejavu flashbacks & dreams have increased the more I practice & the other weird thing is my health is improving the more I practice  :crystal-gazing:  I'm going to type that up in another thread though because it's interesting.

I find my mood changes, but mostly I use cards & pyromancy.

My worst failure ever was a "crystal" ball... maybe it was really just low quality glass or something but seriously I nearly fell asleep multiple times trying to do divination with one. I gave up in the end & tossed it onto the mantle, forever more it was decor.  :wavex:

Nature is complicated. There are no "rules" & it's only when we understand that that we can truly grow to appreciate it.

#2 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

I use my oracle cards every day, they are the ones I made for myself and you can find a picture of them on my Art page. I have had no luck with my crystal ball, but then again I hav'ent tried it recently.

#3 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:08 AM

I use tarot most often, but douse with L rods.

My favourite though, is an unconventional trance method.

When I can get my wife to drive on a sunny day through and area with many trees I lie back with my eyes closed (it also works under a tree with dappled shade on a windy summer day).
The rapid flashes of alternating light, and 'red dark' (light shining through the blood vessels in my eyelids) will normally have me seeing things within a minute or two.
I've able to direct what I see with some success and interpret useful answers to the questions I've posed.

It's odd, and certainly not for everyone (I can't sustain it for more that about 10 minutes without feeling ill), but i find it immensely satisfying.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#4 WinterMeudwy

WinterMeudwy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:46 AM

I read tarot and playing cards mostly, but I enjoy exploring loads of various other cards systems (I publish indie decks), hedgeriding, tea leaves and I'm working on making myself a black mirror for scrying.

#5 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:47 PM

A black mirror for scrying would be a nice tool to have, let us know if you have any luck using it.
Tea leaf reading is something I would like to try, I have to stop using teabags though! They are hard to read.
Let us know when you get your mirror done.

#6 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:59 PM

Tarot when reading for others. Black Mirror for getting info for myself. 

#7 Strigid13

Strigid13

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

Pendulum is the best for me, probably the simplicity that makes it interesting. Also there is this energy related that somehow connected to how the pendulum works, so that interest me.

Endure, Endure Endure! Because the final answer will be better, sweeter and making you more mature!

-Strigid13, 7th Jan 2020-

#8 woodwitchofthewest

woodwitchofthewest

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:52 PM

For me it's mainly dreams, and Tarot.  I am going to work with runes this year, though, to see if I can gain any new insights that way.  

If I were more clever, something interesting would appear here...

#9 Mona

Mona

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:06 AM

I mainly use tarot. But depending of the situation, sometimes can use runes, or a pendulum. If I need to look at another person’s dream, or to clarify my own, I'm using bay leaf or water. I never tried crystal balls. I do not have a black mirror, but I have a ring with a large obsidian, it is convenient to get in touch with the dead through it. 

#10 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:35 AM

Astrology and tarot, but I use them in different ways.

Sometimes I read the runes, but I don't have my own set, so when I read them it is either when a rune appears in real life, like tree branches or whatever, or, with an electronic casting. I have also divined with Hebrew letters from things I see in real life (for example there is one car make that has a tail light that is in the shape of Nun!). My knowledge of Hebrew is even less than my knowledge of Runes, but being that I am studying Thoth tarot, I am preparing to attempt to learn the Hebrew letters, and I have a feeling that when I do, it will really open up a lot for me as far as all of my divination goes, but it does feel quite daunting.

I also get "knowings" but that is not a divination "system."

Edited by phantasmagoria, 13 January 2020 - 05:36 AM.

#11 Micheál

Micheál

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:51 PM

I work with tarot and runes, but the ogham is my go to, and most used. I feel it's hard to work with runes and ogham without acknowledging the myths, and language of the cultures that they come from, which is why I'm mostly connected with the ogham.  

#12 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:16 PM

I like Runecasting, I make beautiful custom sets, I can read Anglo-Saxon and Elder Futhark, but can't divine for squat.

#13 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:31 PM

Sagefire, I have seen your Rune sets, they are very beautiful.  Learning the Runes is one of my goals, yet to do it though.

#14 PrimalWitch

PrimalWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:43 AM

I'm really into divination in general so I've tried many methods with variable success.

Tarot and bone throwing are my favorites. I'm learning about runes but right now I keep eye out for them in nature (trees, patterns in stones, etc). Eventually I'll make a set and try that too. As for pendulums I've had great results with spirit communication that has nothing to do with me (like talking to ghosts haunting a location) but not when used as a dowsing tool or talking to my own guides, etc... I'm not sure why except maybe a personal block I need to address.

I was gifted two "Crystal balls". Neither are actually Crystal and though I really like them I've had no success. I'm assuming it's just a combo of inexperience and not connecting with those particular objects. I've heard it doesn't have to be real Crystal but maybe my subconscious is being a snob lol.

A couple of days ago, on a whim I experimented with other objects (random stones, Crystal chunks, different shells, etc) and had some fun results. So far it seems the clear stones with lots of inclusions or reflective stones with lots of markings (particularly my fist sized labradorite, and a small opal pendant) work the best for me. Some of the other shells and stones may be worth looking more into as I did get flashes of images when holding them with eyes closed.

#15 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:22 AM

I'm really into divination in general so I've tried many methods with variable success.

Tarot and bone throwing are my favorites. I'm learning about runes but right now I keep eye out for them in nature (trees, patterns in stones, etc). Eventually I'll make a set and try that too. As for pendulums I've had great results with spirit communication that has nothing to do with me (like talking to ghosts haunting a location) but not when used as a dowsing tool or talking to my own guides, etc... I'm not sure why except maybe a personal block I need to address.

I was gifted two "Crystal balls". Neither are actually Crystal and though I really like them I've had no success. I'm assuming it's just a combo of inexperience and not connecting with those particular objects. I've heard it doesn't have to be real Crystal but maybe my subconscious is being a snob lol.

A couple of days ago, on a whim I experimented with other objects (random stones, Crystal chunks, different shells, etc) and had some fun results. So far it seems the clear stones with lots of inclusions or reflective stones with lots of markings (particularly my fist sized labradorite, and a small opal pendant) work the best for me. Some of the other shells and stones may be worth looking more into as I did get flashes of images when holding them with eyes closed.

We seem to have a lot in common here. First with Runes, and with Pendulum. Like you, I just have not really connected with it. Granted, I have not really invested much into it. As far as personal block goes, I think that it may be that Pendulum CAN be "so simple" as a yes/no, that, as far as facing one's shadow, it is so direct that one may not want to even go there. When I try, I always question to what level I am consciously controlling the outcome, and that sort of kills it for me as a pure divination tool.

I eliminated a Crystal Ball that someone gave me a while back for a personal reason (the ball originated with someone who made a spiritual decision that I did not agree with, though in retrospect, if I could go back to that moment I would have kept it or disposed of it in a different way, but that all besides), but would definitely try again. When I experimented with it, I had this feeling that looking at it was sort of like looking at my own eye, like an "as within so without" but in a geometric way that the globes of our eyes can relate to it. Rather than symbolic images, it's an actual lens. Seems more of a quantum discipline than a mental one. If that makes sense. Because it has to do with bending light...so, phosphoromancy, and deep trance... much more of an altered state than what I use to an astro chart, or cards, which are much more "mental" disciplines in my experience. They have to be, to parse the visual language. Whereas crystal ball, it seems, takes one right into the mind's own eye, and its projections.

From my research "bone throwing" is actually a reference, according to most, for reading from a mixture of items, like you describe. So, when you write "bone throwing," do you mean only using bones, as in a set of bones, either from the same animal, or different?

Edited by phantasmagoria, 15 January 2020 - 04:25 AM.

#16 PrimalWitch

PrimalWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:43 PM

From my research "bone throwing" is actually a reference, according to most, for reading from a mixture of items, like you describe. So, when you write "bone throwing," do you mean only using bones, as in a set of bones, either from the same animal, or different?

All the above actually lol... I have several different sets depending on type of reading, who I'm reading for (self or others) etc.

One set is based on contemporary style (bones, shells, curios). It's technically my newest set (going on 3 years) and fun to work with. It's still somewhat mutable, probably always will be.

A set that mostly includes artifacts from or related to animals I personally knew/cared for/worked with over the years. This one is pretty much for personal use only with only few exceptions.

I have a set specifically for yes/no type questions (4 raccoon fibulas marked on one side)

Last set is from armadillo with certain number of ribs and vertebrae, I use mostly scrying methods with this set.

I have been considering creating a rune set using the scutes. The tiny pieces would make it easy to take with me everywhere. Plus, if I wanted to do a toss instead of a pull I don't need as large of a surface as with my larger bone sets (could employ scrying along with rune interpretation)... I still eventually want to make a larger set from (most likely) wood but until then this could be a good start?

#17 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:08 PM

Have you heard of making a Junk drawer Divination set?  Everyone has a junk drawer full of interesting items from toys to sink plugs, screws and strings.  I saw the idea on Pinterest.  Why not?

#18 PrimalWitch

PrimalWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:41 PM

Have you heard of making a Junk drawer Divination set?  Everyone has a junk drawer full of interesting items from toys to sink plugs, screws and strings.  I saw the idea on Pinterest.  Why not?

---- that would be fun! I know there are YouTube videos of charm casting that could give people ideas... I've considered making a set myself that doesn't have any animal parts (great for public readings if there's issues with bones and such). Works the same way but the sky is the limit for pieces (plus can put together a set much more quickly for most beginners).

#19 PrimalWitch

PrimalWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:44 PM

With my fascination with throwing things I've had friends tease me, surprised I haven't purchased a mini take deck to throw lol... Told them don't tempt me cuz I probably will at some point haha

#20 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:11 AM

Thanks for the education PrimalWitch! I have bones from a cat who I did a bone reaping for, but have not worked with them as far as casting and throwing for a visual reading, but when I hold them, I do feel like I am connecting with the Other Plane, and the Spirit of that cat. I suppose that is Scrying? I can definitely see why most people keep their bones private.

Edited by phantasmagoria, 16 January 2020 - 02:14 AM.