9 replies to this topic

#1 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:07 AM

I decided to read the cards for myself on the subject of my romantic relationship, even though I’ve heard here that such subjects can be hard to read due to bias. As I shuffled the deck I recited an incantation along the lines of “show me the truth, show me the future, is he the one for me”.

After about 10 seconds of shuffling a chunk of my deck fell out of my hands. This chunk fell neatly onto my desk displaying the Lovers Card. I took this as my answer, and one that was as good as any since if I had laid out a full spread I might not believe the results I got (due to inherent bias to the situation).

Have unexpected card events happened to any of you, and/or would you take them as your answer to your question? Ive been curious if other practitioners would have interpreted the event in the same way that I did.

#2 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 04:18 PM

In that case, I would definitely take it as an answer to your question.
Usually, you would consider events like that, anytime a card falls out of the deck or something of that nature.
Often one card is all it really takes to answer, where a long elaborated reading might complicate it.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#3 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 04:32 PM

I agree that if a card leaps out at you, you got the answer.

#4 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:00 AM

Thank you both for the replies. And I agree Solanaceae that having additional cards likely would’ve complicated the matter.

Edited by FancyShadowCat, 24 November 2018 - 01:00 AM.

#5 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:31 AM

To add to this discussion - I've had the same thing happen with the same card! Only in my case I was shuffling and it was the only card that jumped out. But the Lovers shows a choice so with hindsight I don't think it showed anything more that how we felt about each other. Nothing more happened.

#6 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:38 PM

To add to this discussion - I've had the same thing happen with the same card! Only in my case I was shuffling and it was the only card that jumped out. But the Lovers shows a choice so with hindsight I don't think it showed anything more that how we felt about each other. Nothing more happened.

This raises another question of mine actually. Is it the meaning I associated with the card that matters in the divination, or is it the meaning traditionally given? The booklet I got for my deck defines the lovers card as signifying a strong bond as well as an ability to overcome obstacles for established relationships.

I should also probably mention that the card was not inverted when it lept out.

Edited by FancyShadowCat, 24 November 2018 - 04:39 PM.

#7 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 08:10 PM

There are different schools of thought on the intuitive versus learned approaches. I liked the meanings as a starting point but the more you use them personal meanings become clear. That can be one benefit of asking the same question several times. It's not usually advised but when your cards start repeating personal meanings can start to jump out. So for example seven of swords means 'adultery' when I see it in a reading.

#8 ThreeCircleTarot

ThreeCircleTarot

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:05 PM

I have an intuitive style, but I agree with lovers being an indication of present feelings and choices. Dedication is relevant in my mind, too. Sparks turning into flames with fanning, that sort of thing. Tarot reading for myself can be very present oriented and it can feel like the deck is mirroring me sometimes--you seem to really like the person if they're worth a reading, maybe the card reflects this? Something to consider. So in terms of leaping cards, for me it depends on the deck. One of my oracles is super slippery so jumpers happen with some frequency. For more matte decks that fit my hands well, I might pull another card or two to add more depth to the message, particularly if the card that jumped happens to be playing the reflection game.

edit: makes sense that you see adultery in Seven of Swords, witchinplainsight, I see thief.

Edited by ThreeCircleTarot, 25 November 2018 - 04:06 PM.

#9 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:38 PM

It looks like I have a lot to learn with divination. I appreciate the feedback :) I’m happy and complete being alone so I would be hurt if the relationship ended but I would not be devastated or broken (at this point). I’m hoping this allows my cards to be less biased as I read them, but time and experience will teach me how to read my cards it seems.

#10 ThreeCircleTarot

ThreeCircleTarot

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:06 AM

I played a bit of devil's advocate there, trust yourself and look for opportunities. Go about life and keep it in the back of your mind! When you see what comes up in your story in correspondence to a card, you'll eventually have a library of past experiences to affect your impressions of various cards.

Reading for myself has (lately) been like a conversation with the deck. I've been working with multiple decks in one spread and every deck has a different voice. Jumpers can be just a part of what the deck has to say and it's up to you if it's important enough to add into your reading; there's also that feeling you get when you know when to stop shuffling, or which exact card feels right to pick. Personally, I'll do 3-5 small spreads with a few decks on hand, focusing on different queries each time but allowing fluidity in say the overarching themes/numbers/suits/symbols/etc.

Just keep working with the deck and spending time on learning (it never really ends, by the way). Practice shuffling too. You'll get better and better control over your deck when your hands know what to do. This will also assist your bond with the deck.