• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:31 PM

I have a Wiccan acquaintance as well and I do like her. I suppose i should’ve said that I’d prefer if those who try to define the entire scope of the craft to be what ever their path is (usually harm none and what ever they believe in) were more quiet.

I respect people’s individual paths, though I don’t agree with how some loud individuals try to proclaim that all witchcraft is about such and such that THEY practice. That woman sounds nice, I hope you find a good use for that candle.

#22 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:52 PM

Yes, she just was so open and relaxed about what she was doing, I liked her frankness.
The candle is for my daughter in Law, she is a skull lover.

#23 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:54 PM

Candle is for my Daughter in Law, She is a real Skull lover!

#24 AgentBender

AgentBender

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:38 PM

I have struggled with relating to the world in this way, finding the balance of healthy self-expression: not stifling my Truth, not over-exposing. I definitely gave up discussing sacred things with muggles and skeptics. I am an absolute cIosed-book with these types. To share the deepest, most sacred parts of oneself only to be scoffed at is detrimental in so many ways. I only share with people who are interested in practicing or who seem to really want to believe, and even with these, I keep it vague.

I open up to other witches, but still I am very mindful of what I say. I never discuss spellwork already done. To do so is to break the spell; I try to literally forget when I've done a working for manifestation. I never discuss interactions with the Fae, even with other witches, because, from what I've experienced, it offends them deeply, but especially so to divulge with skeptics or muggles.

I do discuss theory and technique with my one and only experienced witch friend, and I will do so on this forum, as well.

I have one public, revealing post on Facebook, in which I declared my status as a "pan-sexual, anarchist, Marxist Witch, on an agenda to corrupt you and everyone you know - and by "corrupt," I mean "liberate and empower."" I made this post because I am an activist and I want to be controversial to spur conversations, to let my fellows know what I am, and because I made an oath to be more open and True to myself. I do protect myself a bit by using an alias an Facebook.

Edited by AgentBender, 22 July 2019 - 06:39 PM.

#25 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:27 PM

I was 8 or 9 when I became interested in stories and history of witches and alchemists.  Around 10 I started playing Dungeons and Dragons with all of my characters being magical.  I began really looking into a magical lifestyle around this time.  I would paint runes on rocks and leave them stashed around the woods near our farm.  I would read everything I could get my hands on.  I was creating protective sigils and my dad let me paint one on the barn, of course he didn't know what it was, he just liked the way it looked.  Always artistic, my subject matter was always of the mystical.  I discovered Wicca from a Lewllyn publication about candle rituals, and I was hooked.  By 16 my hair was down to my waist, my ears were pierced and if I wasn't in the woods, I was in the library studying everything from Norse shamanism to Native American mythology to Hawaiian spiritualism.  By 18 Wicca was tapped out for me and I began examining the craft with a more traditional approach.  I don't really give a shit what people think, my hair has fallen out, and I sleep well at night.

#26 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:01 PM

I have been so open about my identity and experiences in my IRL life that it's a bit ridiculous. I've spoken about such personal and unspeakable experiences so many times, with people who were not meant to hear them, and who I barely know. In this way I have made many mistakes, and have certainly undermined myself left and right, and painted myself into a corner. Learning to keep my mouth shut, it seems, is one of my life's lessons. I suppose I have been so open out of a desire for connection, and also perhaps out of a desire to teach and share what I know. However, I have not benefited from any of that. Being raised during the advent of the online world (I was 5 when we got a computer in the house and was not even 10 when I was on the internet, with free reign), I grew up in a reality where I was sharing my most intimate thoughts and feelings on online journals, and was along for the ride when Myspace and Facebook became a thing. Besides, I have a few years under my belt of on and off living in my vehicle, which puts one in a situation where, very literally, I have had to "have nothing to hide." Living a private life is not something that I am practiced in, but I am finding that I am doing my best to make the change into doing that as much as I can. Nevertheless, I cannot take back how open I have been with my experiences, and so I have to be ready at all times for the consequences of having done so. I often wonder what the long term story is for me, and why I have been led to expose things that it seems a lot of people here would be horrified at my sharing, or at least tell me that I screwed myself over. Yet, it's what I have been led to do. For example, I was told never to show anyone one of my tattoos...but in order to pay my bills, I had to become a nude figure model. Situations like that: for survival, I have been forced into talking, exposing, etc. I have been told by elders that there is no precedent whatsoever for my path.

I have never had direct contact with any otherworldly guides, as far as I know, but my understanding is that I probably have offended them due to my openness, having disobeyed the universal rule to "not talk about it." Thus, I am not certain that I have found what really works for me, and it may take me years more of not talking about it outside of trusted people, to even get back to a baseline. Just feeling my way through totally uncharted territory. I have tried to make myself feel better about it by reassuring myself about my beliefs about determinism, and sort of an "akashic records" perspective, wherein information about everything that has happened in the universe is accessible to anyone at any time, so it really doesn't matter if I have talked about it or not. I try not to beat myself up about it, but, am working on changing, because again, my openness hasn't provided me any benefit. Perhaps in the years to come, there will be beneficial effects from it, but it's time for me to put less effort into sharing, and more into just living my life. Hard to do, as someone with a very strong Leo signature. Certainly that has been a huge part of what has driven me to "perform" myself in the way that I have. I also have very strong connections with Fox medicine, which is a dualistic energy. On the one hand, Fox is flamboyant, and out of necessity, has to appear in many places, and show off. On the other hand, Fox has to hide itself, and completely disappear. So, I am learning more about the "completely disappearing" side.

I do often wish that I had not been led to be so open. It puts me in a very awkward position. I've taken many steps back as far as my public openness, and have made an effort to become more anonymous, and am seeing where it goes. Either way, anyone who has already seen or heard about me, knows, and of course, the government has access to everything that any of us have done on the internet. I am starting to see why this world has been so secretive for so long. Others' secrecy has made me feel angry and left-out before, and I think that's part of why I have been so open: to attract like-minded people. It hasn't accomplished that, though. So, trying a different approach. Of course, even by discussing this on here, I'm being open. Well, like I said, this is where being open has brought me, but I am taking more of a "let them come to me" approach and seeing where it leads me, whereas in the past, I bought BIG TIME into the common advice, "put yourself out there." I am finding that is a load of bullshit, though. Putting myself out there has made me into a target, and so, I feel as though I have to start over... but I cannot. I can only move forward, and do my best to change my methods.

Edited by phantasmagoria, 13 November 2019 - 09:03 PM.

#27 woodwitchofthewest

woodwitchofthewest

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:39 AM

My husband knows I'm witchy and do Tarot, and has said he's fine with me being as Pagan as I wanna be, but - he doesn't know all of it.  He's a complete materialist, doesn't believe in magic, and it would be awkward to try to talk to him about it, because his mind is made up.  Most of my kids know I'm pagan, but we don't discuss the details.  I have three friends that know I'm a witch, because they do witchy things, too. and we've shared a bit.  I have been to one semi-local witchy Hecate ritual where everyone was a witch of some stripe, but I haven't visited again.  I keep journals on tarot readings and other things, but don't share them.  So I guess I'm mostly in the broom closet, and plan to stay there, as I don't trust other folks enough to not give me grief over it.  Plus, in this country, there are large pockets of bigotry, and the way things are going politically, there's no way to know how knowledge like that might be used against you later.  Also, I have a very insane ex who says things like it's mandatory to put family members to death who have "strayed from the path of holiness."  Mostly he's a big bag of hot air, but he's just crazy enough I don't want to tempt him to look me up out of a feeling that he's somehow responsible for my soul.  

I would say you folks on here know more about the details of my practice than anyone else.  

If I were more clever, something interesting would appear here...

#28 SwampHag

SwampHag

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:11 AM

I'm a pretty secretive person. I'd say only a handful of people I know in person know I'm a witch, and none of them knows what that entails for me. Given my work situation, living situation, etc. it would probably be unsafe for me to publically be a witch, given the prejudice against non-christians in these here parts.

In the long run? I'm probably going to keep it that way. I think a lot of my practice veers into some morally questionable territory and I don't want to expose the world to that in broad daylight, and I certainly don't want anyone to interfere with my work.

#29 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 06:09 PM

I don't know why people have to be so judgeing, it is not their life. Frankly we don't need that one little bit.

#30 woodwitchofthewest

woodwitchofthewest

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:23 AM

I don't know why people have to be so judgeing, it is not their life. Frankly we don't need that one little bit.

I think it's because few people truly have the courage of their convictions.   So the way they make themselves feel better about their chosen path is to disparage others' paths.  If everyone else is "wrong" then they can pretend that proves that they are "right."  

If I were more clever, something interesting would appear here...

#31 UnMasked1467

UnMasked1467

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:08 PM

I can definitely relate on the subject of secrecy. For me, it's like showing my artwork (which I actually managed to do just now on this site)-- I feel like a piece of me is being shared with the outside world, and that is difficult for me; not because I am afraid of what other people will think (screw them if they can't handle it), but because it makes me feel naked almost. It's a comfort zone thing. Regarding witchcraft specifically, I have only told those closest to me because I don't feel it's necessary for the whole world to know my life. My mom knows, I think she told my dad but I'm pretty sure he has forgotten lol. And my best friends know. That's pretty much it.

#32 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:24 PM

I think it's because few people truly have the courage of their convictions.   So the way they make themselves feel better about their chosen path is to disparage others' paths.  If everyone else is "wrong" then they can pretend that proves that they are "right."

I think you are right on that!

#33 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:29 PM

I can definitely relate on the subject of secrecy. For me, it's like showing my artwork (which I actually managed to do just now on this site)-- I feel like a piece of me is being shared with the outside world, and that is difficult for me; not because I am afraid of what other people will think (screw them if they can't handle it), but because it makes me feel naked almost. It's a comfort zone thing. Regarding witchcraft specifically, I have only told those closest to me because I don't feel it's necessary for the whole world to know my life. My mom knows, I think she told my dad but I'm pretty sure he has forgotten lol. And my best friends know. That's pretty much it.

I hear you on the showing off your Art fear, I'm afraid that a lot of artist's feel that way. Of course, showing your family will always get praise, the real terror is entering an Art competition and being critiqued by a professional.
Just remember that it is only "their" opinion. It takes bravery to show you Art! Good for you!

#34 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:21 PM

It its because our art is a visual tangible translation of what is in our deepest places and so it carries an emotional attachment.  With enough practice, we can still keep that attachment, but dismiss any negative reactions we get from other people as background noise.  As Witchcraft is an art that non-practitioners seem to have opinions on, we have the same reservations.

#35 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:00 AM

Art or witchcraft, we have to do it to please ourselves and not for others. If the others like it too, then that is great.