12 replies to this topic

#1 Hunter

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:28 PM

I've come back here after a very long spell away (3 years, I couldn't even get back into my old account since it was registered to an old e-mail address which no longer exists) & I thought about an interesting topic...

Just how secretive are you as a witch?

Personally I am extremely secretive. I take it as far as to write in my boring looking leather journal in invisible ink. That's how important it is to me to keep this part of my self hidden. In words, it is my soul. Maybe one day I will choose to bare it to someone, but that day hasn't come yet. My tools are all disguised as other items or hidden. My familiar looks just like that... a dog. My boat looks ordinary, only if somebody looks closely will they see the small gold pentagram hung near the roof as you enter. It's a mere decoration isn't it? I work alone apart from Lucas (my familiar, a dog with hetechromia eyes who fell into my life) & nobody ever sees my workings.

Am I ashamed? Absolutely not. No, I simply do not want others seeing my life lest they use it against me. I do not want others stumbling across my works & copying or questioning it. I cannot be bothered with questions, I know exactly who & what I am.

I see many witches who bare their souls & I am curious as to how the response is with partners & friends.

Nature is complicated. There are no "rules" & it's only when we understand that that we can truly grow to appreciate it.

#2 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:51 PM

I’ve been tempted to reveal it to a close friend and my younger sister. Of course, they both are spiritual and believe in witchcraft. The most comfortable middle ground for me is to hint at it occasionally but never admit to it or say it explicitly. I wouldn’t let anyone read my grimoire either. I certainly don’t want anyone copying the work I put into learning what I’ve learned so far. Or trying to have an opinion on who I am.

My close friend takes the hints and is smart enough to know what they mean but not ask for confirmation of her suspicion. We’ve always had an unspoken level of communication, I know that she knows, and she knows that I know that she knows. My younger sister I actually told, because she’s wanted to practice before as well and has cast a spell with a friend before. They know me well so they are not surprised by this.

Edited by FancyShadowCat, 09 November 2018 - 08:54 PM.

#3 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:09 PM

To Know, To Will, To Dare and To keep Silent! This is good advice. I am careful about who knows.

#4 WinterMeudwy

WinterMeudwy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:40 PM

I am personally very secretive about my craft itself. Most people know I'm a witch, but that's as far as it goes. And they do ask questions or advice sometimes, but I just state the 4th rule of witch club...to keep silent, that ends the conversation usually! My close friends know better than to ask now, but I enjoy being out of the broom closet generally. My mum and partner also practice, so it's not as if there's lots of questions or a need to keep things hidden for me, it's relaxed at home and with family.

I keep my belongings and books bound and out of the way, upstairs though. My personal things and writing are absolutely for me only.

Interesting to see other people's experiences!

#5 Wezip

Wezip

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:05 PM

I keep it secret too, there are far too many haters where I live and I would hate to have prayer groups turn up outside my house in order to “save” my soul...

It happens here more than I am comfortable with.

#6 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:14 PM

I keep it secret too, there are far too many haters where I live and I would hate to have prayer groups turn up outside my house in order to “save” my soul...
It happens here more than I am comfortable with.

and then there are the dreaded JW's, I find it difficult to get rid of them, I really don't like being rude to them, but they do infringe on my beliefs.

Edited by Onyx, 05 January 2019 - 06:15 PM.

#7 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:56 AM

and then there are the dreaded JW's, I find it difficult to get rid of them, I really don't like being rude to them, but they do infringe on my beliefs.

I had a fun conversation with my local ones shortly after I moved in. We chatted for a good 10 mintues about disaster preparedness and self-sufficiency.
When the main guy's mates dragged him back to the car to and they asked if they could leave literature (think they had figured it was a lost cause by this point - maybe spotted the ram skull and Pan bust in the tree!) I told them 'My gods are not your gods, but I'm happy to help if there's an emergency'
We shook hands, they left and haven't been back. :D

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#8 Wezip

Wezip

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:11 PM

maybe spotted the ram skull and Pan bust in the tree!) I told them 'My gods are not your gods, but I'm happy to help if there's an emergency'
We shook hands, they left and haven't been back. :D

Ha ha, that’s one way to get rid of them!!

I don’t try to ram my beliefs down anyone’s throat so I really don’t like it when others try to “save me”

#9 Faolana

Faolana

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:55 PM

I am deeply secretive. I can’t even really explain why other than it just feels so wrong to me to say things out loud. Especially about my spells. I don’t mind discussing the generalities of how to do things but when I create/commit to a spell I never want to talk about what I’m doing or what I’ve done. Sometimes it’s hard when I do one and it works and I get excited and I want to tell someone. But for some reason I feel as though it will somehow negate the spell if I say anything out loud. And I’m pretty secretive about being a witch in general, only very close people know. I can feel that it’s about not wanting others to have some kind of possible power over me with the knowledge. Maybe I’m just not very trusting in general, I dunno, but I feel it in my bones that I need to keep my mouth shut.

I just recently discovered that someone who doesn’t particularly like me in a community (not craft related) we are both part of is a proclaimed witch. I don’t know how long she has been but she just recently changed her twitter profile to include that she is a witch and will be tweeting about witchcraft. This made me more wary of her, made me really glad she doesn’t know that I am one and really struck me- it just doesn’t seem like a smart thing to do. I just don’t get it. I am very wary of people who flaunt their “witchyness”. But that’s just me.

#10 UnMasked1467

UnMasked1467

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

I am fairly secretive about it, to the point where I didn't tell my boyfriend once we decided we'd officially began a relationship! The relationship didn't last anyway, for other reasons. I'm not ashamed, nor am I particularly afraid of what people will think or do. I'm a Witch, and that is how it is. If people don't like it, they can shove it. It's more that it doesn't occur to me because it's such an integral part of me. This is simply indicative of my personality-- I'm secretive about a lot of aspects of my life because I don't see the point of mentioning them. Maybe it's because the secret is from a past experience and this is now, or maybe I just feel it's irrelevant to the situation at hand and shouldn't be used against me. Sounds weird probably, but that's how I am. I know what I am and who I am, and if you don't like it, that's your problem, not mine. 

#11 CoastalWitch

CoastalWitch

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:26 AM

Not in the broom closet, but also don't run around talking about it without reason. I am open with those of like minds, who have become my friends first, about what I am, if they should ask or it becomes pertinent in some way. Just as there are signs aplenty in my home for those who are welcome there and have eyes to see them. About the path I follow and actual workings that arise out of that, I mostly keep my own counsel. There may come a time when that changes, but for now, it saves me the aggravation of having my bible-belt neighbors worry over my soul and other witches try to tell me how to witch.

#12 NightLeo

NightLeo

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

There are some days that I feel like I'm sneaking around to do what I do.  My closest friends know about me and the struggles I've gone through to get at this point in my life. My initial thoughts were that I was going crazy when I started seeing shadows and things waking me up at night. I even went to a psychiatrist and our parish priest. It got real quick though. Then I knew no one could help me except me. Grant it, this was 25 years ago and I think maybe 4 people know about me. Thank the Goddess that my husband gives me all the support that I need. I think I'll keep things the way they are.

#13 BlackbirdSong

BlackbirdSong

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:32 AM

I am relatively careful, but will share some things. I prefer sharing general information or helpful things, rather than deep personal experience. I might share some experiences that I think might be helpful to others - if I do it is often a good while after they happened. Some open conversation can be good, I feel, as can some sharing some experiences with those who wish to learn. My family do not know because they wouldn't be able to understand the concept fully, and it would upset them. I'm fine with that, but I do see it as being a deep, integral part of me. There are other parts of me that are deep and integral that they cannot understand, so it doesn't feel strange. I do share parts with my husband, though he is not a witch. It's very situation and person dependent for me. I have told people who I know are open to it in order to help them, and I have kept silent when I know trouble would be caused.

I think where you live can have an impact on this. I am lucky enough to live in an area of the UK, where many are open minded and have more of a curiosity than a terror or wish to hurt. If I lived somewhere else, I would be even more careful.