11 replies to this topic

#1 Wezip

Wezip

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:05 AM

For the past 6 weeks or so any time I leave my house or go to different destinations I keep seeing 1 magpie - only ever 1. This is unusual as they are more often found in pairs.

When I am stopped in traffic on my way to work. There’s always one outside my car - no matter the place I’ve stopped...

When I walk the dog, head out of a shop, take the kids for a walk etc etc - always there appears one magpie at some stage of my journey...

I know the old rhyme “one for sorrow, two for joy etc” and I am beginning to think I’ve had a curse put on me or that this is a message of some bad luck that’s about to befall me...

Has anyone any other explanation for this? Or has anyone else experienced something like this?

I always make a point of saying hello to the magpie and giving him the traditional “salute and asking after his family”....

Side note - I did call out to the Morrigan a while ago... but I thought she always sent crows, so I’m not sure if that has any relevance, but thought I should add it in...

#2 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 03:16 AM

Side note - I did call out to the Morrigan a while ago... but I thought she always sent crows, so I’m not sure if that has any relevance, but thought I should add it in...

'Pies are also corvids (same family as ravens) so could be a connection.

They are fiercely protective of their chicks and family/territory so might be a learning in that direction, of course it could just be that one has decided that your place is nice and setting up shop there - leave out bacon rinds and such for it and you will make a fast friend. :-)

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#3 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:21 PM

I love Magpies, we don't get them in the mountains where I live. When we go to an area where there is open range lands I see them there a lot.
I know one is supposed to be unlucky and I always look for another to make a pair. But really I'm just happy when I see one. They are so pretty, I don't believe they are unlucky
Just like my Black Cat, he's not unlucky.

#4 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:56 AM

I know the old rhyme “one for sorrow, two for joy etc” and I am beginning to think I’ve had a curse put on me or that this is a message of some bad luck that’s about to befall me...

Is there any reason someone would want put a curse on you? Been pissing any witches off recently? If not, then it's most likely nothing.

As it is still a bit warm for this time of year perhaps the young birds fledged late and are still being fed by their parents. They usually hang around their parents until October anyway. It tends to be the non breeding birds that are in groups, so if the parents are still feeding that would explain why you are seeing single birds. 

Edited by Khundekling, 23 October 2018 - 10:29 AM.

life is better with a biscuit

#5 WaterChildOfGaea

WaterChildOfGaea

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:49 PM

I don't think they are unlucky either, and as someone previously mentioned, unless you've aggravated any witches lately I doubt you're cursed.

:)

#6 BlackbirdSong

BlackbirdSong

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:05 PM

I see them constantly when I am writing creatively or having a lot of ideas around writing. I don't know if this is a personal symbol or if others have found it, but they definitely relate to voice for me - having a voice, expressing verbally and in writing etc. I don't see them as unlucky (I don't really see any animal as unlucky though), but I do always greet them. I definitely don't see them as signifying a curse, but wondered if you might have personal reason to feel this? They are actually very special to me, my other online name is Magpie. 

There are a couple who live in my garden or the neighbouring one, they actually moved in when my ability to write returned after a couple of years of utter nothingness. So, for me, a very good omen indeed. One other thing they represent to me is knowing myself, that might sound a bit weird, but many people have misinformation about Magpies so, often, the birds they actually are compared to what people believe is different. They remind me to tell my own truth and my own story, to look at my actual self, and know what is within me - not be swayed by others' views of me. I hope that makes sense? It might be irrelevant because it is quite a personal one, but thought I'd share it in case it helps.

#7 Wezip

Wezip

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:19 PM

I see them constantly when I am writing creatively or having a lot of ideas around writing. I don't know if this is a personal symbol or if others have found it, but they definitely relate to voice for me - having a voice, expressing verbally and in writing etc. I don't see them as unlucky (I don't really see any animal as unlucky though), but I do always greet them. I definitely don't see them as signifying a curse, but wondered if you might have personal reason to feel this? They are actually very special to me, my other online name is Magpie. 

There are a couple who live in my garden or the neighbouring one, they actually moved in when my ability to write returned after a couple of years of utter nothingness. So, for me, a very good omen indeed. One other thing they represent to me is knowing myself, that might sound a bit weird, but many people have misinformation about Magpies so, often, the birds they actually are compared to what people believe is different. They remind me to tell my own truth and my own story, to look at my actual self, and know what is within me - not be swayed by others' views of me. I hope that makes sense? It might be irrelevant because it is quite a personal one, but thought I'd share it in case it helps.

Thank you for this!

Sometimes I am the sort of person that just really needs the obvious to be explained to them!

I literally see one (only ever one) pretty much everywhere I go, and I have had a bit of a run of bad luck recently which has probably just ate in to my insecurities which then lead on to me thinking "am I cursed", however - when I think rationally about it, I haven't pissed anyone off (that I know of), so no one should have any reason to place any curses on me...

When you write about them representing knowing yourself that has immediately struck a chord with me, I am going through a bit of a personal journey this year (after almost dying twice) and when you write about "telling my own truth and my own story, to look at my actual self, and know what is within me" it all makes perfect sense.

Thank you for this and now every time I see one I will absolutely be mindful of my true self and my own story!

You are a bit of a genius xx

Edited by Wezip, 24 October 2018 - 01:20 PM.

#8 BlackbirdSong

BlackbirdSong

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:46 AM

You’re very welcome. ☺️ Glad I could be of help. I empathise with the personal journey and have noticed quite a lot of us on here have gone through near death experiences, even being resuscitated. I was resuscitated and in a coma in 2016, and though I already practiced the Craft I think it still changed the way I practice and pushed me to explore further, I went on to nearly die a few times after that, so I understand how it can push you in certain ways on your personal journey. I really hope everything is going a bit more smoothly for you now.

#9 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:18 PM

Glad to hear that you are still alive and kicking! I have been resuscitated as well and it aint no picnic. Weird thing was while I was lying in recovery I thought it was a good time to meditate and relax when suddenly I had two male nurses jumping on my chest and then they shocked me. A WTF moment!
I'm glad to be in the alive and kicking club too!

#10 Wezip

Wezip

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:29 PM

I wonder if having to be resuscitated does indeed alter us in some way... it’s an interesting thought, and I can say for sure that I haven’t been the same since it all happened...

#11 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:40 PM

I think it does alter your perceptions a little. Now we know how easy it is to die.

#12 Wezip

Wezip

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:42 PM

True. We are fragile little vessels really!