• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twigwarrior

twigwarrior

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:13 PM

Has anyone tried this? Also, do folks know if it's safe to consume dittany of Crete?

Dreamer’s Tea

2 parts Mullein flowers
1 part Poppy flowers
1 part Mugwort
2 parts Spearmint

Linkhttp://sarahannelawl...part-v-mullein/

#2 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:53 PM

Also, do folks know if it's safe to consume dittany of Crete?

It is, but be certain you're getting true Dittany of Crete. It is a rare plant and sellers are known to substitute other plants for it, most notably plain ol' Oregano. Also, be certain you're getting Origanum dictamnus not Dictamnus albus, which is also known as Dittany. That one is a skin irritant and the sap it exudes will literally catch fire!

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#3 twigwarrior

twigwarrior

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:58 PM

It is, but be certain you're getting true Dittany of Crete. It is a rare plant and sellers are known to substitute other plants for it, most notably plain ol' Oregano. Also, be certain you're getting Origanum dictamnus not Dictamnus albus, which is also known as Dittany. That one is a skin irritant and the sap it exudes will literally catch fire!

Any reliable suppliers that you can recommend?

#4 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:18 PM

No, sorry. It's not an herb I use. Do some searching & if you find someone selling it, just ask them what the Latin binomial is. If they don't know or won't tell you, avoid them! (And to tell the difference between Oregano & Dittany of Crete: DC's leaves are fuzzy. Oregano's aren't.)

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#5 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:32 PM

True dittany of Crete is fairly rare and hard to get hold of. DoC is classified as vulnerable on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Plant Species 1997.
origanum vulgare - greek oregano has a similar terpenoid profile to DoC so pharmacologically has similar action and may be an acceptable substitute.
I've never personally worked with DoC so cannot speak to the similarity of any other effects though.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.