Sign in to follow this  
Duchess

New Yorker: Many Faces of Witches

At first, I didn't read as much I just skimmed down through the photographs. If it's a photo book, independent of context, I love it. Especially Unassuming Grandma and Afro-Caribbean witches at the end there.

"This latter-day witchiness has often been corralled to commercial ends: an Urban Outfitters shirt bearing the words “Boss Ass Witch,” say, or the women-only co-working space the Wing referring to itself as a “coven.” 

I appreciate that it's trying to come across as just factual by acknowledging the trendy-thing going on around us. But this photo series is destined to be on display in October down in Chelsea, just in time for Halloween, right?

It attempts to present witches in the very simple-and-yet-complex ways that we exist--we're here, there's no real spin to it, and we dress or don't dress however. I think the series is well-done. However, I can't help but wonder if the presentation of the photos wouldn't have been better served by divorcing it from the timing and description. If it had just been a photo series that had been put on display with little fanfare or explanation prior to going into it, and you just recognize the links on your own as opposed to someone attempting to frame it? I think that would have been perfect.

Edited by StJohn

hmmm... Sephora is about to release the Beginner Witch Kit.  Whaaa?  This has something to do with cosmetics? Ridiculous I think, but my biggest fear is not being able to find Frankinsence. HaHa! If this takes off the market will be flooded with imitation crystals and over priced this and that. Like Gretta, I want to be alone. Really its annoying that they're making money off our practice. For many this is they're religion. I know it will pass but enough.    

Well I have already cornered the market on crystals, no imitation ones for me. My Autistic Son who had almost every crystal known to man, decided he did'nt want them anymore so now they are mine. Muahaha!

They are presently creating a vortex in the basement. Soon I will have my very own portal...I need a bigger house.

Edited by Onyx

Onyx,  Love it! My daughter and I keep buying more stones. I'd love to have that many.

I like the photo essay.

I can't be bothered, however, by how popular or not witchcraft is or how mainstream it is. If you shop wisely, more people being into it for the optics of it, just mean the market is bigger and potentially things that were once harder to find become easier. Also it's easier to pass when people don't take witchcraft seriously because they think it's just an instagram fad.

Also it doesn't matter a lick what other people are doing or if they are posing or whatever, I will do my own thing one way or another; I don't need to be seen as the real thing or distance myself from the hype because I don't care what other people think.

Sign in to follow this