Sign in to follow this  
WaterChildOfGaea

Seeking mental balance

Can anyone please recommend some home/herbal remedy to help restore mental balance and discipline?

I have diagnoses of Bipolar and PTSD.

Thank you in advance

Holy basil has been helping me to gain clarity & thus reduce anxiety. It's subtle. Holy basil isn't the same plant as common cooking basil. It is used mostly to decalcify the pineal gland. I also stopped drinking the city fluoridated tap water unless its been purified 24-36 hours using shungite stones to take the "stink" out. Shungite is a natural water purifying shale rock, very high in carbon, with amazing health benefits since the body is carbon based. I just keep 2 water pitchers with rocks in the fridge & rotate them. I use purified water for things like ice tea, homemade soup & cooking absorbent things like rice & noodles. I get both H.Basil & Shungite off amazon. There is also shungitestore.com website for price comparison.

I feel I've had excellent return on investment by using only shungite purified H2O for cooking & drinking. At one time I'd been on 14 different prescriptions. One day I just said enough damnit. It took 2 years but I'm down to 5 prescriptions & beat everything but the diabetes & old age. Im 65. Give me a break. :)

What Zombee said is her own experience, knowing her own body and what meds she is/was taking.

As a Master Herbalist, I will tell you that there is no way I would recommend anything herbal without knowing you and having a complete workup. Despite current perceptions, herbs are drugs and can have unexpected, even adverse reactions on individuals, especially those taking synthetic drugs. If you choose to take herbs to help your condition(s), please do your own, extensive research!

Guess I shudda mentioned that the HB had been suggested by an herbalist. The shungite water purification is my own idea. It's very true that what works for one person may not for another. My standard MD has complimented my efforts.

I have extensive knowledge of western medicine and was researching the herb Zombee mentioned in relation to my western pills (Quetiapine, Mirtazipine & Propranalol)

It's getting late now though here in Britain so will look into it further tomorrow.

Rest well, Ladies. :)

I would recommend Valerian Root.  I grow it and make tinctures and teas from the roots, however, you can buy it in capsule form too.

Water Child of Gaia I will start by saying i'm NOT a formally qualified herbalist or MD, but I will list some herbs you may wish to investigate below after this warning:

If you are taking pharmaceutical medication DO be VERY careful about drug/herb interactions, things like serotonin syndrome (among others) are bad on a sliding scale from very unpleasant to fatal.

Caveat given . . .

For mood stability:

Albizzia Jubilans extract - Positive mood

HTP-5 from griffonia simplicifolia- I use 120mg daily. This eliminated my social anxiety and insomnia completely within a couple of weeks of use.

Sedatives:

Scullcap

catnip (fairly safe)

Valerian (as mentioned) is a strong sedative and dangerous in larger doses.

Chamomile and Lavender are sedative in small doses, but some people experience stimulant effects in larger quantities

Hopps

Adaptogenic

Lemon balm (also a mild MAOI so be very careful with interactions)

Withania somnifera

Ginseng

Rhodiola rosea (Arctic root)

Schisandra chinensis

Edited by FrozenThunderbolt
  • Upvote 1

I know that you are asking for herbals, which although I dabble in, I don't know enough about to make recommendation (besides lavender, but that's pretty common knowledge). But, if you are interested in crystals also, I highly recommend Lepidolite. It is a form of mica that contains lithium. Since I harvested some myself (I began prospecting this year!), I have found that it indeed helps a lot with emotional stabilization, helping to mitigate anxiety and stress, especially during times of transition. I was amazed during the first few weeks of my use of it and now I rarely go anywhere without it.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Lithium! That could help with an unbalanced / spontaneous kundalini (serpent fire in witchy speak) awakening. Very interesting. I will keep that in mind for anyone going through a difficult experience.

I know that you are asking for herbals, which although I dabble in, I don't know enough about to make recommendation (besides lavender, but that's pretty common knowledge). But, if you are interested in crystals also, I highly recommend Lepidolite. It is a form of mica that contains lithium. Since I harvested some myself (I began prospecting this year!), I have found that it indeed helps a lot with emotional stabilization, helping to mitigate anxiety and stress, especially during times of transition. I was amazed during the first few weeks of my use of it and now I rarely go anywhere without it.

Edited by WitchVillage
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I was experiencing depression, mental fog, very slow mental processing/thinking (Neurological doctors call it Fluid Thinking).

I said "to hell with this" I am resisting this with everything I have! I tried all of the self healing creative visualizations, meditations etc. etc. But it didn't work. 

I tried a lithium mineral vitamin supplement. It helped the depression a little. I almost always refuse to take Pharmaceuticals for any reason. Especially when there are safer, healthier, better non-drug options.  

This is what helped me. I was very shocked and pleasantly surprised that I started improving almost immediately and kept improving steadily. I am back to my old self again as if it had never happened. And have been able to reduce my dosage of the Cognizin. I didn't reduce the Meriva Curcumin because it has many other health benefits.

Jarrow Formulas Cognizin Citicoline [stabilized CDP Choline (cytidine 5'diphosphocholine, phosphatidylcholine) Cognizin is a patented and tested form of Citicoline (CDP-choline, phosphatidylcholine ).

Jarrow Formulas Meriva® Curcumin Phytosome Phosphatidylcholine
Complex
(works synergistic-ally with the Cognizin because it has Phosphatidylcholine/serine and prevents inflammation in the brain (and whole body). Also helps
oint cartilage and more.)
Short version on why it works: Our bodies stop creating much needed neurotransmitters when we age. The decline starts happening around age 30.
These substances supply some of the neurotransmitters for us. Are bio-available And
are able to get through the blood brain barrier
. Not all forms of these substances can.
I am not advertising for this brand.
There are also other Clinical/Pharmaceutical grade brands available of the real Cognizin and Meriva, in effective dosages.
I am not selling it. I only give Jarrow as an example because I tried other brands and immediately noticed them not working as well. I have also had much success with other Jarrow Formulas; starting decades ago when my Allopathic doctor dispensed them.
Here is just some of the Cognizin research findings for you folks who, like me, want to know the science/safety/quality/purity behind anything I put in my body. I didn't include Meriva Research because it is just to much info!
Other reported benefits of phosphatidylserine include
lowering levels of stress hormones and improving sense of well-being, increases levels of several important neurotransmitters including
dopamine, noradrenalineand aetylcholine; and helps maintain the integrity of neuronal cell membranes.*

Citicoline [stabilized CDP Choline (cytidine 5’-diphosphocholine)] is a naturally-occurring intermediate involved in the synthesis of phosphatidylcholine, a major constituent of the grey matter of brain tissue (30%)*
Citicoline consumption promotes brain metabolis by enhancing the synthesis of acetylcholine and restoring phospholipid content in the brain, both of which positively affect memory and other brain activity.*
Cognizin is a patented and tested form of Citicoline (CDP-choline, phosphatidylcholine ), shown in a clinical study to help support cognitive health,
focus, attention, learning, thinking speed and mental energy.
A recent study compared the effects of 250 mg of Cognizin vs. a placebo. After 28 days, those taking 250 mg produced more than 50% fewer errors on a commission test, showing that Cognizin help support attention .1
Edited by Homeschoolie

I've been having great results with Melissa Officinalis (Lemon Balm) lately, and after my friend suffering from depression has been taking from a plant I gave him only a couple of days ago, he has been reporting being "happier." It's a very gentle herb, with AFAIK no major contraindications, and is a balancing Jupiter herb as well, so it won't take you too far in either direction, and as such I imagine it's good for bipolar. It also helps with anxiety, so, again, balancing the depression and anxiety.

https://books.google.com/books?id=l2luDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA120&lpg=PA120&dq=elisabeth+brooke+melissa&source=bl&ots=4mzrqoT3Zn&sig=ACfU3U2k94Vw6BXcaouafIgxZNw6i5a8MA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjFyZzysYzpAhX_hXIEHVfMDEYQ6AEwAHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=elisabeth%20brooke%20melissa&f=false

If you can get a plant, it's invasive, so you'll have a lot of it soon enough.

• Upvote 1

Ohh, Melissa is so bonny! Yes an expansive Jupiter herbe in all ways, a member of the mint family, we have her all over the garden! Great for cracks in old concrete. 

I've been having great results with Melissa Officinalis (Lemon Balm) lately, and after my friend suffering from depression has been taking from a plant I gave him only a couple of days ago, he has been reporting being "happier." It's a very gentle herb, with AFAIK no major contraindications, and is a balancing Jupiter herb as well, so it won't take you too far in either direction, and as such I imagine it's good for bipolar. It also helps with anxiety, so, again, balancing the depression and anxiety.

https://books.google.com/books?id=l2luDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA120&lpg=PA120&dq=elisabeth+brooke+melissa&source=bl&ots=4mzrqoT3Zn&sig=ACfU3U2k94Vw6BXcaouafIgxZNw6i5a8MA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjFyZzysYzpAhX_hXIEHVfMDEYQ6AEwAHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=elisabeth%20brooke%20melissa&f=false

Great for cracks in old concrete. 

:lol: Who needs the demolition men when you've got Lemon Balm aka Melissa?!  :D  Well, it may take a while, but it's much prettier!!!

It has a mild MAOI effect (monoamine oxidase inhibiter).  This means it should not be taken with herbs or regular pharma that are SSRI's (selective seretonin reuptake inhibitors - a large number of modern antidepressives). 

If a MAOI and SSRI are taken together it puts one at risk of seretonin syndrome (an excess of circulating seretonin). The effects of this range from unpleasent to potentially fatal.

Posted (edited)

It [Melissa] has a mild MAOI effect (monoamine oxidase inhibiter).  This means it should not be taken with herbs or regular pharma that are SSRI's (selective seretonin reuptake inhibitors - a large number of modern antidepressives). 

If a MAOI and SSRI are taken together it puts one at risk of seretonin syndrome (an excess of circulating seretonin). The effects of this range from unpleasent to potentially fatal.

Thanks very much for pointing that out. Yet another example why people should always do their own research. I did include "as far as I know..." but that doesn't mean that I know everything. I most certainly don't. Thank you again for sharing very important information.

Edited by phantasmagoria

To continue about Melissa, it's unclear to me as to whether the medical field recognizes contraindication to SSRI. I just did a quick google. WebMB counterindicates for CNS depressants, and Beaufort Memorial for sedatives and thyroid medicines. I did find confirmation on another search that there are, like you say, mild MAOI effects, but, if webmd doesn't indicate that, then it's likely that the effect is not problematic enough to be considered notable. But, to be very clear, I have zero medical training, and zero herbal training under any recognized herbalist. I just like using them, and have read Brooke. Herbalism is very complex and I am only a personal using amateur. Anyone should be careful when using any herb and always check to see if the medications they take mix badly with the chosen herb.

Guest Sabrynia
Posted (edited)
On 8/27/2018 at 12:55 AM, WaterChildOfGaea said:

Can anyone please recommend some home/herbal remedy to help restore mental balance and discipline?

I have diagnoses of Bipolar and PTSD.

Thank you in advance

I'd suggest doing some meditation or deep relaxation exercises; maybe a ritual or a spell to top it off, as well as plenty of exercise and maintaining a healthy diet. Martial arts are also a good route for gaining physical and mental discipline of your body and mind.

I believe herbs and potions should be used sparingly and only when alternatives aren't working. The first reason is because the human brain can become accustomed to substances that it actually has the ability to create all on it's own, (cannabinoids, for example), and if you ingest said substance, (marijuana, for example), too regularly,the brain will actually STOP making those chemicals in order to compensate. That means when you stop ingesting the substance, your brain will have to try to play keep-up, and you'll go through a period where your body isn't receiving the chemicals it needs to maintain a healthy and happy outlook on life. 

So yeah, maybe try restoring your mental balance and discipline through psychology and exercise before resorting to the use of herbs or potions. The more you know! 😁

Oh,and the second reason I feel herbs and potions should be used sparingly is because they're natural resources which I have an affinity for conserving because I feel a little bad whenever I snip a piece of my lovely plants lol. I know they're happy to help, but still, they look prettier fully intact, and I don't like risking any of them dying. Most common herbs I use are chamomile tea for assistance with sleeping at night, aloe vera for cuts and scrapes, and on occasion a smidge of cannabis to expand my consciousness for deep philosophical introspection, and to just generally make me less bitchy lol. I can be kinda tense at times due to having C-PTSD (Complex Posttraumatic Stress Disorder). ...It's kinda like regular PTSD but  longer lasting with some mild psychotic features like seeing and hearing things that aren't really there. It's caused by being captured or kidnapped, or otherwise stuck in a horrific situation for a prolonged period of time with no reliable means of escape. ...Like soldiers coming home from overseas after living as a POW. 🙁

Edited by Sabrynia

Sign in to follow this