• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Selaara

Selaara

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 04:10 PM

For me traditional is what ever feels right to me. If I don't vibe with an idea or practice I put it aside for now. I have always had to follow my instincts since I had such a conflicted childhood. My instincts have let me to hoard Crystals since I was a child. I didn't find out till I got older and started doing my research that the rocks and crystals I was collecting were boosting and protecting my psychic abilities. I believe I was drawn to them as a defense mechanism against my mother's inconsistent magical defenses. Nearly all of my stones and Crystals are locally found. I even found a quartz arrowhead while walking in The woods one day. I think the word traditional is not as important as how it feels to you as an individual. You are the tradition.

#22 Micheál

Micheál

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:58 PM

Traditional to me, is something that's passed down a few generations. In regard to witchcraft, I think it's the same as other cultural elements like music, sport, folk traditions, e.t.c. Therefore, I would consider traditional witchcraft practises that predate the occult revival, and modern witchcraft. 

That  gets a little tricky with dealing with the likes of Cochrane's Craft (still just in my opinion) Though there are differences with modern witchcraft traditions like 'Traditional' Wicca(which I'd consider traditional if Tubal Cain is considered so, as the two are both very different from other modern traditions that they likely influenced), there are many similarities, and they likely came from the same sources (which are debatable). Feri I definitely would consider part of modern craft. There are some forms of ceremonial magic(k) I'd consider trad craft as well, as cunning folk were influenced by the grimoire tradition. A difference in social classes (historically) might define those. A cunning man with a grimoire might be practising something closer to trad craft than someone who is fortunate to have their own private ritual space, robes, and tools galore. Today, I think it also boils down to how the two are practised.  

#23 Strigid13

Strigid13

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:18 AM

This is interesting topics and thank you for creating this!

Briefly If you haven't read my introduction, please do so Because it explains mostly about what I do. In my believes I don't really understand the concept of upper or under-world. But my belief is as such. Working with energies, I believe everything comes and goes to the same exact place. This whole energy creating all space filled with energy but each with their own consciousness. That is where all the divines and all us know which spirits is which. The energy itself is like what the nature course. It runs everywhere wherever they want the same with water, fire, earth, or wind. But yes all the energy has a certain path they follow. Our natural order follow the law of gravity and the  energy in our craft follow the law of intention. That where our work actually matters in my craft. We intended the whole path of energy to move in a certain direction, sometimes it's easy but sometimes it's difficult, depending on what our power to "move" the energy. I do believe in divinities, but then I believe divinities are created and has power because intention from several people creating that energy to be a higher being. 

As for the practices and ceremonial magic. The real question is do you do this in form of traditions? if you do it and teach you to your children then it is traditions. But I think the words can be used interchangeably. Because if you do your practice as a form of ceremony, then isn't it ceremonial magic? Try sabbath. What ceremony you use to celebrate it? Then it is both traditional and ceremony combining together. From my perspective using circle/compass and classical elements not veering away from your own Traditional practices if you do believe in that. Personally as an Asian, we use elements and compass as core of our practice. So does it mean that Asian shaman or witch is not Traditional witch? Isn't the true meaning is go back to the root of magic prior to Christianity and this whole acknowledged belief system?

So briefly, traditional witchcraft for me is where we work and try to understand how the past beliefs of our ancestors can be used in this modern day. It is crazy because it is two different things, because before people are really close to nature and observe the nature as what they see it and now we observe nature by also using the knowledge of science and how some natural phenomenon works. But all in all, I believe in the term of collective consciousness from psychology, which believes wherever you are, at least some of us think in similar way and also the sign from the energy shows us the way or the path of the craft which could be same for some people and different from some people. Imagine like a glass of water having this same molecules but with different personality, beliefs, and consciousness, and all this water having the same instinct to be water and to flow in a certain direction. I think that's how what is happening outside of this physical reality, all this energy are together yet singular. Anything that we do to understand, guide, and connect with this energy are actually what we call the craft itself in traditional witchcraft.

Edited by Strigid13, 07 January 2020 - 03:20 AM.

Endure, Endure Endure! Because the final answer will be better, sweeter and making you more mature!

-Strigid13, 7th Jan 2020-

#24 woodwitchofthewest

woodwitchofthewest

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:32 AM

I use the word "tradition" as an alternative to the word "path."  I don't use it in the sense that it means passed down through the generations, although I believe being "traditional" requires some adherence to the older ways. (Having knowledge passed down through the generations would be cool, but from what I can see, very few actually have that sort of resource to draw upon.)

I also use the label "tradition" as a way of differentiating what I do and believe from what Wiccans do and believe.  Common usage in many places seems to say that Wicca is Wicca, and other paths that honor older ways are called "Trads" - so that seems to be an acceptable way to communicate my non-Wiccan-ness to other folks.  

Is it correct?  Heck if I know.  But it is the best label I've found for what I do.  

If I were more clever, something interesting would appear here...