• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 WitchVillage

WitchVillage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:54 PM

Do you make living magickal art Onyx? I create Witching Mandalas (meaning: "manda" = spirit / "la" = vessel) for longer term goals that sigils may not have the endurance or "torque" power for. Initially I would create, then feed and enchant (candles, song, incense) the Mandala for a whole lunar cycle to get it established. If I feel the purpose is complete after that time, I might release/liberate its spirit to the fire. Or if its purpose is something much longer term, I'd put it away to rest, then bring out and enchant and activate when I want to stir it from hibernation and aid me in my ongoing aims.

PS: I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if I'm going over old ground.

Edited by WitchVillage, 28 January 2020 - 05:15 PM.

Heaven above, Heaven below
Stars above, stars below
All that is over, under shall show
Happy thou who the riddle readest

#62 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:19 PM

Do you make living magickal art Onyx? I create Witching Mandalas (meaning: "manda" = spirit / "la" = vessel) for longer term goals that sigils may not have the endurance or "torque" power for. Initially I would create, then feed and enchant (candles, song, incense) the Mandala for a whole lunar cycle to get it established. If I feel the purpose is complete after that time, I might release/liberate its spirit to the fire. Or if its purpose is something much longer term, I'd put it away to rest, then bring out and enchant and activate when I want to stir it from hibernation and aid me in my ongoing aims.

I would say No to the living magickal art!  In the sense you are meaning.  I do create magickal art in the way of illustrating my Grimoire and in my spell crafting  But nothing like a mandala.

#63 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:23 PM

I find that when I try to focus on my art as income potential, my inspiration dries up.  I think it's because I feel as though I am creating for approval rather than the joy of it.  The exceptions are my wands and runes sets.  These are custom works that allow me to show off my monkey tool using skills a little.

#64 Mona

Mona

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:24 PM

I do understand very well what you mean, Sagefire.

#65 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

I find that when I try to focus on my art as income potential, my inspiration dries up.  I think it's because I feel as though I am creating for approval rather than the joy of it.  The exceptions are my wands and runes sets.  These are custom works that allow me to show off my monkey tool using skills a little.

My wands are always made for me, I have not tried to sell them, I have not used all, just a couple, my Raven Wand is mine and has been used.  My mine, I mean I have claimed it and it declared itself to me.  We agree.

It hardly ever works to create for someone else's approval.  Unless it is a commission and there is a set subject for you to complete.   I think you should always try to please yourself first, I think if I am happy and proud of my work it will show itself to the other person.  That being said, there are some people that like everything you make but are cheap and will not buy anything anyway.  

#66 Mona

Mona

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:20 PM

Right, Onyx, always please yourself first.

I'm sure your protective eye is really protecting my home. Thank you. And your paintings are drop dead gorgeous, I love them. They are on my book shelf now, but I will find a decent frame and place for them. You are a real artist.

I'm not envious. Just adore your work.

#67 UnMasked1467

UnMasked1467

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:23 PM

Wow, beautiful work Onyx!!!

#68 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:09 AM

Thank you Mona and Unmasked for your kind words.

I am still doing the little paintings, a habit is hard to stop once you have made one,  I put away last years work and have started on February's offerings.  I will post new pictures as I take them.

Thanks for the encouragement!

#69 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:19 PM

As promised, here are January and some of February's continuation of the tiny pictures, enjoy!  The first photo is of a collection of four leafed clovers that I found when cleaning out my art Room.  and a picture of my kittie Onyx.

Attached File  DSCF1808.JPG   80.91KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1809.JPG   95.99KB   0 downloads  

Attached File  DSCF1811.JPG   89.27KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1812.JPG   110.65KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1813.JPG   119.59KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1814.JPG   125.32KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1815.JPG   102.03KB   0 downloads

#70 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:23 PM

As promised, here are January and some of February's continuation of the tiny pictures, enjoy!  The first photo is of a collection of four leafed clovers that I found when cleaning out my art Room.

Attached File  DSCF1808.JPG   80.91KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1809.JPG   95.99KB   0 downloads  

This is Onyx

Attached File  DSCF1811.JPG   89.27KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1812.JPG   110.65KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1813.JPG   119.59KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1814.JPG   125.32KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1815.JPG   102.03KB   0 downloads

#71 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:29 PM

Do you have any photos of your Mandalas?  I am familiar with Indian and Tibetan Mandalas.  I would love to see some of your work.

#72 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:55 PM

Love the moths!

#73 WitchVillage

WitchVillage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

I've got one one working for a long term project for me now (so I'll keep that private for the time being).

When I feel they've completed their "service" so to speak I have a habit of releasing them (usually in a sabbat fire)  and for whatever reason (not intentional) I don't tend to photo them. 

I'll make up a couple of examples and do a post on it maybe? x

Do you have any photos of your Mandalas?  I am familiar with Indian and Tibetan Mandalas.  I would love to see some of your work.

Heaven above, Heaven below
Stars above, stars below
All that is over, under shall show
Happy thou who the riddle readest

#74 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:09 PM

I've got one one working for a long term project for me now (so I'll keep that private for the time being).

When I feel they've completed their "service" so to speak I have a habit of releasing them (usually in a sabbat fire)  and for whatever reason (not intentional) I don't tend to photo them. 

I'll make up a couple of examples and do a post on it maybe? x

I can understand the need for privacy while you are working them, but I would love so see an example of the form.  A separate post would be a great idea.  Releasing in the fire is the way I like to do things as well.

#75 Mona

Mona

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:30 PM

The photo of cat...I have seen this eyes on another photo :)

#76 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:49 PM

I might have posted a photo of my cat Onyx before, he is a Black Smoke, domestic long hair.  He likes to sleep curled around my head like a turban.