• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

There is only one thing: the Universe. The word universe itself is a combination of unus "one" and versus "to convert". They come together here to mean "turned into one"... all things, all that is known and yet unknown, boiled down to one singular thing. I do enjoy how the word verse in the modern language means a poem, a rhyme, or a song. The Universe: one endless song which encapsulates all of existence, an endlessly expanding force of creation. I've heard that there's a strong theory kicking around which proposes that all matter at the most foundational level is actually a form of sound wave. That the atoms which construct our reality are made of particles, which are made of vibrating energy---sound. The difference between material and immaterial becomes inapplicable at the level of these fundamental "particles", and how these particles manifest to our understanding is wholly dependent on the causes and conditions to previously arise.

We are all just as empty---lacking any independent existence outside of our ever-changing contexts. Each of us is the result of the causes and conditions which came before us, and so each of us is forever new, forever changed in big and in slight ways by the moments which are continuously slipping by. Cells die and are shed, food is processed and their nutrients distributed, and our thoughts and ideas flow and are formed by the stimuli we come into contact with. To be empty does not suggest here to be nothing, or to be devoid, but instead to be replete with potential. The Cunning Fire which is gifted to humankind allows for this emptiness which we arise from and consist of to be filled and refilled, granting us a unique flexibility to adapt and become as we will. The witch takes this further and utilizes this Fire to deliberately enforce favored conditions.

Interdependence and emptiness, when understood correctly, can empower one with optimism and the spirit of odyssey, priceless tools in the arsenal of anyone who seeks to work powerful magic in their lives. There are no fixed starting points, and no definitive conclusions. We can start anything from nothing; wherever we are, whatever we are, and whatever we have at any given time makes for fertile grounds for our endeavors. We can absolutely start from zero: how else would anything begin? Any point in any given moment is the right starting point---this is the perspective that emptiness flings wide open for those who have the guts and imagination to employ it. It isn't an abstract concept; it is entirely practical and sorcerously liberating.

#2 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:09 AM

I ve read a smidgeon re:Alchemy's One Great Thing. How do we know there's only one universe?

#3 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:28 PM

I suppose we don't; the multiverse concept is one that's kicking around in some circles. I don't see it as a legitimate area for scientific inquiry, but hey, I'm not a scientist. Maybe the Big Bang was of such eldritch magnitude that it occurred on multiple layers, alternate dimensions, rippling across planes that no human mind can begin to fathom outside of the effects of a fierce psychedelic trip....and maybe it didn't. It's thereabouts that it becomes too abstract, and maybe I'll find out when I'm dead. For now, the "known" universe is plenty full and big enough for me to jive with on its own.

#4 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:10 PM

Yea, like Dorothy's comment at her return from Oz (talk about trips!) that if she ever goes looking for her hearts desire again she won't go looking beyond her own backyard, ie it was there all the time.

#5 Ozman

Ozman

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:53 PM

We are all everything and nothing, in order to gain deeper understanding of ourselves and the universe we must accept it. Sooner or later we must all move through and embrace our own "Dark Night of the Soul" "Moon Shadow" or "Daath." Other dimensions exists without a doubt, all working through what we do. One thing I always say to myself is: When all the lights burn out, only blackness remains. I take comfort in this. 

Nothing is really unknown or briefly forgotten waiting to be remembered.