Sign in to follow this  
Michele

Question for those that grow herbs

Re growing herbs and edible plants - I have cats. Cats like to dig a little hole and do their business... how do I keep them from doing that in the soft soil of the edible garden beds??? 

M

Pfft. You know they believe you turned that soil and adorned it with lovely plants just to give them a beautiful potty- right? Sorry, no actual advice. No cats pooping in my herbs here- Im trying to figure out how to keep the deer away from my stuff.

I just read where someone suggested sprinkling or spraying cayenne or chili powder around the areas you want them to stay out of.  It says the smell alone will deter- but IDK if its more like their burning mucous membranes will deter- which might be more mean than your hoping for.

Most of the cats here are feral and I just put in my catnip in the areas I want them to hang about.

My grand mother would put aluminum foil around the top of the pot. I'm told they don't like the feel on their feet.

I've also heard orange or lemon peal tossed in the top of the pot, but it seems no one saying it has tried it. Supposedly they don't like the smell. Maybe wave some around and see if they find it off putting first.

I'll ask around and see if anything else turns up.

For deer I plant calendula and tagetes all about. That seems to help quite a bit.

You said about cayenne. An old woman up the road uses cayenne to keep the varmints out. I don't think its keeping her deer back(but she thinks so), but it seems to help with rabbits. That said she is out there applying it after every rain.

I 'd figure your right about cayenne and cats. That approach sounds like they just don't want go for it twice.

Our cats are immune to just about anything. I've tried the tin foil, cayenne, black pepper, orange peels, the works. The only plant they stay away from so the only plant I have in pots on the deck is rue. (Which should please you, M.) Just don't plant that near anything else you want to grow 'cuz it'll stunt the growth of other plants.

One thing I've heard of but not tried is putting chicken wire on top of the soil & putting your plants in the 'holes'. The wire doesn't give the cats any room to dig. In theory.

Tagetes species, aka marigold to most gardeners, will keep away deer but it doesn't seem to bother rabbits. (PG, the deer eat my calendula!) Sprinkling a combination of cayenne & black pepper or cayenne & ginger around the holes will force voles & moles away from where they're homing.

I can vouch for the chicken wire technique; I picked it up from my grandfather and it's saved my sprouts many years in a row when I had personal garden space. It could possibly be a pain to install after the plants have begun to fill in, but YMMV.

Mountain Witch I've had the rabbits get at my tagetes, but the deer have never eaten my calendula. That's rough.

The only time they haven't worked for me was last year all the rest would hang around the other side of the yard, but one fawn. She would show up every morning at sun up, Then go right through them to eat a few jalapenos. The whole thing was so odd I just left her go.

I could see how that chicken wire would work. I'll have remember that one. Phaedra I'd think just like skirting a tree. You could cut the ring in half then wire it back together.

I'm also making a note of your tip on moles and voles. We're rotten with them and the only thing I've found affective was, well cats. They don't seem to eat them, but sure like to leave them laying around.

It can be horrible stuff to work with, but I talked to a fella this morning that used fox urine to train his cats away from the flower pots. That got me thinking a fox paw charm, tail, or bit of fur, may do the same without the smell. Just a thought really, fox skins are real oily and musky.

Re growing herbs and edible plants - I have cats. Cats like to dig a little hole and do their business... how do I keep them from doing that in the soft soil of the edible garden beds??? 

M

So I've had this problem for a while but I'm starting to figure out how to deter the pesky felines. I started covering my garden in twigs and pushing pine cones and other pricklies into the soil. Cats prefer soft soil to walk on, so I've been finding it's doing the trick. I also put citrus peel in the compost. I just discovered cats don't like citrus fruits. 

Sign in to follow this