• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:36 AM

I know about rosemary for remembrance' and do drink it semi-regularly to help learn new things, but last night something new and odd.

I took a large pinch of fresh (prostrate) rosemary such as I would normally use for tea, but quidded it instead.
Within the time it took me to shower I felt like I was about to be booted into trance state.

This seems odd to me as I've no history of rosemary giving this effect, and have never heard of it effecting others like this.
Typically I use it as a protective herb, to boost memory, and a chthonic link to honour the memory of ancestors.

Thoughts, opinions, your uses for rosemary . . .? :P

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#2 BeanSiFiain

BeanSiFiain

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:00 PM

I did a quick search (I'm not a big fan of rosemary, and generally only use it in my shepherds pie) and I did find some pages that suggest it as useful during meditation and dream work, mostly for the purpose of remembering past lives or evoking some memory. I know that rosemary has been proven to provoke the memory centers in the brain, so I suppose it makes sense that it would be useful in trance or journey work. You may just have been itching to trance? And the rosemary was just an innocent by standing catalyst?

Braggart by nature,    just like nature..

#3 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

I have never felt drawn to use rosemary other than cooking. I had to look quidded up. I learned a new word.  :D

#4 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:37 PM

I've used it in restorative tea for after trance &' in chicken recipes.

#5 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

I have heard Rosemary can have some psychoactive effects. Improved focus and clarity have been noted. I have never experienced it myself.

Quidding it, you would very likely have a more profound effect than with tea. Interesting.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#6 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

Might try the rosemary, since me and mugwort have a love hate relationship. Thanks for the tip.

Zombee, that's everything I love about this site in a single sentence :chakrahearts:  :cauldron:

#7 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:34 PM

I’ve used it in a lot of protective work as well, but I’d never heard of it for trance work. Now I’m going to have to give it a try, I love rosemary.

#8 vyvyan

vyvyan

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:14 PM

So if I use it as a tea it would have the same effect if used another way? I'm still learning, and I grow rosemary everywhere. I use it for all kinds of things (mostly chicken related, but I've used it on fish before, too). Just curious.

#9 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:25 PM

I love rosemary and will post more about my use of it later when I have more time, but I just needed to post this right away so y'all don't hurt yourselves: ROSEMARY IS NOT MEANT TO BE INGESTED IN LARGE QUANTITIES. (infusions or external uses of rosemary oil (and of course inhalation) are safe, but eating it straight up it is not - this doesn't include using it in small amounts as you would with cooking, I'm talking about sticking lots of the plant in your mouth, not just a few of the tiny leaves you'd get in cooking).

I'm going to copy/paste info from WebMD for the quickest summary - hopefully those above in the thread will see this before they try eating or quidding it:

Taking large amounts of rosemary can cause vomiting, uterine bleeding, kidney irritation, increased sun sensitivity, skin redness, and allergic reactions.

Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Rosemary is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken by mouth in medicinal amounts. Rosemary might stimulate menstruation or affect the uterus, causing a miscarriage. Not enough is known about the safety of applying rosemary to the skin during pregnancy. If you are pregnant, it’s best to avoid rosemary in amounts larger than food amounts.

If you are breast-feeding, also steer clear of rosemary in medicinal amounts. Not enough is known about what effects it might have on the nursing infant.

Aspirin allergy: Rosemary contains a chemical that is very similar to aspirin. This chemical, known a as salicylate, may cause a reaction in people who are allergic to aspirin.

Bleeding disorders: Rosemary might increase the risk of bleeding and bruising in people with bleeding disorders. Use cautiously.

Seizure disorders: Rosemary might make seizure disorders worse. Don’t use it.

Edited by IslandBruja, 27 March 2018 - 08:27 PM.

#10 vyvyan

vyvyan

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:36 PM

Oh my. I had no idea. I need to go back to reading my herb books. Thank you for that information, IslandBruja

#11 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:41 AM

Thanks everyone, good info.
Island Bruja, that is a useful warning thank you. In my case I had no more in the quid than I would in a cup of tea, so was not worried about the potential toxicity.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#12 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:32 AM

Thanks everyone, good info.
Island Bruja, that is a useful warning thank you. In my case I had no more in the quid than I would in a cup of tea, so was not worried about the potential toxicity.

But keep in mind there's a big difference between ingesting an infusion of a quantity of an herb, and directly chewing that same quantity: you're getting a much more concentrated dose by chewing it (it's why it's safe to cook with a few sprigs, but not safe to take the essential oil internally...)

I'm just thinking perhaps your trippy experience might have had something to do with an allergic reaction, etc (there are various ways these reactions can manifest)... I like having you around the forum and wouldn't want something avoidable to happen to you ;)

Edited by IslandBruja, 28 March 2018 - 11:33 AM.

#13 BeanSiFiain

BeanSiFiain

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

This made my day.

Taking large amounts of rosemary can cause vomiting, uterine bleeding, kidney irritation, increased sun sensitivity, skin redness, and allergic reactions.

Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Rosemary is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken by mouth in medicinal amounts. Rosemary might stimulate menstruation or affect the uterus, causing a miscarriage. Not enough is known about the safety of applying rosemary to the skin during pregnancy. If you are pregnant, it’s best to avoid rosemary in amounts larger than food amounts.

If you are breast-feeding, also steer clear of rosemary in medicinal amounts. Not enough is known about what effects it might have on the nursing infant.

Thank you for this! I came back to this thread this morning because I remembered I read that pregnant women shouldn't eat it fresh, and if using it for cooking, should use it dried, and in lesser amounts. I felt a little anxious that I was negligent in mentioning it. Im glad someone posted the warnings.

Braggart by nature,    just like nature..

#14 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:18 AM

I'm just thinking perhaps your trippy experience might have had something to do with an allergic reaction, etc (there are various ways these reactions can manifest)... I like having you around the forum and wouldn't want something avoidable to happen to you ;)

Thanks Bruja :P I'll try not to worry you too much - I'll try the tea again soon and see if i have any reaction to the decoction before I consider repeating my initial experiment.
I'm pretty good at looking at LD50's and such  - I tend to use between 1/100 and 1/500th of LD50 to determine starting point for ingesting a herb depending on what the possibilities of it going bad might be!
Good quality analytical chemistry papers and a good quality micro-gram scale are ESSENTIAL prerequisites for good quality herbal experimentation IMHO :D

#15 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:22 AM

Ok, so here's some of my probably unconvential use of rosemary: 

Personally, I don't like the smell of burning sage, so I actually burn rosemary instead. I burn it for purification and clearing. I simply started doing it on my own intuition but when I researched it further, I discovered that rosemary was actually one of the herbs used to smudge homes during the Black Death and that it has now been shown (along with other herbs like sage) to scientifically reduce the amount of airborne bacteria in a confined space, sometimes nearly eradicating it... so it's great to burn both during and after an illness in the home.

If anyone is interested in the scientific end of things to further your explorations with rosemary, here's a study done on the effects of rosemary inhalation on the brain: https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3700080/

#16 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:53 PM

I'm the same, IB. I use rosemary for smudging because sage smells horrid to me. (And it's so much more convenient - I grow rosemary but white sage won't grow in my climate!)

And, F everyone's I, rosemary was used to smudge hospital wards as late as World War I.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website