19 replies to this topic

#1 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

Spiritual cleansing bath

Can also be used as floor powder, sprinkle over floor and sweep up out front door.

1 cup baking soda

1 cup Epsom salt

½ cup borax

½ cup kosher or sea salt

½ cup Himalayan pink salt (or if you can’t get it, another ½ cup of kosher or sea salt)

½ cup Hyssop herb

9 drops lavender essential oil (or ½ cup lavender herb)

9 drops lemon essential oil (if you have it or can get it)

Place all in a jar and shake to mix.

Use about 1 cup of the mixture per bath.

-For renewing protections and recharging power, bathe on or as near as possible the full moon. Up to 2 days before or 2 days after is optimal.

Burn two white candles, one on either side of the tub.

As you bathe, feel yourself being completely cleansed, renewed and refreshed.

Be sure to wash your head and hair as well.

Say a mantra or 'prayer' to empower your working and state your intentions.

Write your own, use psalms for cleansing, or a petition to a deity or spirit you work with.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#2 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:39 PM

I like this,.

#3 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:12 PM

I usually go with the lazy “dump in Florida Water, call it good” approach, but I’m going to have to try this.

Perhaps a silly question, but do you know if there are essential oils you should never add to a bath mix? I know a lot of them can’t be put directly on the skin, so I’ve always been hesitant to add them to a bath. And in the case of a bath, is it the Epsom salt that acts as the diluting agent, or just the shear amount of water?

#4 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:39 PM

Looks great - thanks for recipe.

What does the Borax do? It seems to be banned in EU but people use substitutes depending on what it's going to be used for.

#5 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:54 AM

Hmm. I did not know borax was banned in the UK. Feel free to omit it. It is just a water softening and cleaning agent. Most natural cleaners have the added effect in sympathetic magick to clean spiritually as well.
Add more soda instead.

#6 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:31 AM

Good point Duchess. I should have mentioned that in case people decide to experiment.
Don't use mint or menthols, or anything spicy like cloves or cinnamon. Epsom salts and soda disperse the eo and make it safer, oils are not water soluble so water will not dilute them.

Edited by Solanaceae, 26 March 2018 - 02:56 AM.

#7 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:10 AM

Quoting Duchess;
"I usually go with the lazy “dump in Florida Water, call it good” approach, but I’m going to have to try this."

I love Florida water, and it goes well with this mix too by the way. Just add some to the bath water as well as the mix.
I just prefer to make my own, as the commercial stuff does not see to pack the same punch.

Edited by Solanaceae, 26 March 2018 - 07:12 AM.

#8 Neville

Neville

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

Thank you for sharing this! Could I replace the Hyssop herb with Hyssop E.O?

#9 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

I would not recommend it. Hyssop EO can be irritating to the skin, in particular, the tender bits whereas lavender and lemon are usually considered safe even undiluted (in small amounts).

Even then it kind of depends on how sensitive your skin is how you will react.

You could dilute it in a carrier oil (such as olive or coconut) first and then add it to the mix if you wanted to try that.

Personally, I also like to have some herb material in the mix. It just makes it feel alive to me, and hyssop is so nice to scrub with.

Edited by Solanaceae, 26 March 2018 - 01:03 PM.

#10 Neville

Neville

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:52 PM

I would not recommend it. Hyssop EO can be irritating to the skin, in particular, the tender bits whereas lavender and lemon are usually considered safe even undiluted (in small amounts).

Even then it kind of depends on how sensitive your skin is how you will react.

You could dilute it in a carrier oil (such as olive or coconut) first and then add it to the mix if you wanted to try that.

Personally, I also like to have some herb material in the mix. It just makes it feel alive to me, and hyssop is so nice to scrub with.

Fair enough..I really dont like floaty bits in my bath but I could always put it in a mesh bag or strainer of some sort:)

#11 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:33 PM

Fair enough..I really dont like floaty bits in my bath but I could always put it in a mesh bag or strainer of some sort:)

That works!

#12 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

Good point Duchess. I should have mentioned that in case people decide to experiment.
Don't use mint or menthols, or anything spicy like cloves or cinnamon. Epsom salts and soda disperse the eo and make it safer, oils are not water soluble so water will not dilute them.

Ohoho, no joke. Several weeks back when I was drawing up my weekly soak, I wasn't paying it due attention and steeped a menthol-heavy banishing blend rather than my healing citrus mix. I seriously must have been out to lunch during setup. I could tell the difference while soaking, of course, but the pain didn't land until I got out of the bath...Felt like my legs were being eaten up by angry ants. I've sense then kept my bath jars clearly labeled with colored tape around the lids.

Thanks for sharing this mix! It's very similar to the blend I use for the same purpose, but borax never occurred to me. I use baking soda to similar effect. Looking forward to drawing up this one as soon as my hyssop are well into their blooming season.

#13 VedgeWitch

VedgeWitch

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:17 PM

I love Florida water, and it goes well with this mix too by the way. Just add some to the bath water as well as the mix.
I just prefer to make my own, as the commercial stuff does not see to pack the same punch.

Absolutely. I made my own for the first time the night before Beltane and then let it charge under the full moon and then all day in the sun and it is intense stuff. Do you boil, cold steep, or distill? I use a small crock pot to distill. I make different herb waters that way and they seem to last longer. 

#14 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:48 AM

I would love to distill, but I cold steep in alcohol for mine.

I have hear horror stories of crock pot distillation, do you find it is safe?
If so, would you share your method?

#15 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

Another one who would be interested in the crock pot distillation method!

#16 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:39 PM

This thread is also the first place I've ever read / heard about Florida Water. I must confess I have no idea what it is but am assuming Google will reveal all.

#17 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

Florida Water is the name of an old unisex cologne that goes back to the 1800's. It was crazy popular in its day, and the particular essential oil combination used in it makes FW quite a good spiritual cleanser and offering. It's very common in Hoodoo and Santeria, and people make their own homemade blends based off the original recipe all the time. You can still find the original product for sale in stores today, though.

#18 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

Witchinplainsight, you'll love it! I have the store bought stuff and some I made at home. I only use homemade in the bath, because the store bought one burns...um.. sensitive regions of the body. 

#19 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:43 PM

Tricycle, do you have a recipe for the homemade type that you would be willing to share? I like the idea of wandering about Ireland wearing Florida water :D

#20 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:37 PM

BumpING for a friend!