Photo
- - - - -

Does making essential oils reduce the plant "spirit".

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:08 PM

I have been making magic based incense cones for the local herb shop (not pagan). She stated the clients were asking for sticks. I couldn't get the sticks to work with the mix and have bought pre-made sticks and I am using essential oils to scent the sticks. I am using the same oils I would for the cones but I feel like the oils don't have the same spirit attachment the dry herbs do. Any comments on this? I honestly don't think the customers will care one way or another since most are not practitioners but it's bothering me. 

#2 Neville

Neville

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:23 PM

I dont know the answer but am interested to find that out too! I do most things with essential oils and actually dont have much of a (dried) herb collection

#3 BeanSiFiain

BeanSiFiain

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:23 PM

Do you make your own oils?

Edited by BeanSiFiain, 16 March 2018 - 04:41 PM.

Braggart by nature,    just like nature..

#4 Neville

Neville

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

@BeanSiFiain: I dont no..but it is something I do want to start doing. Its going to need some time and investing to start it I suppose. Would that be where the spirit is strongest?

#5 BeanSiFiain

BeanSiFiain

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:41 PM

@BeanSiFiain: I dont no..but it is something I do want to start doing. Its going to need some time and investing to start it I suppose. Would that be where the spirit is strongest?

time for sure. I don't own land yet so its mega slow going for me, I can only grown what I've got room for that will live and strive in a pot. plus I'm kinda a brown thumb (cause I'm usually distracted ALL THE TIME and forget). for now I only grow essentials; veggies, chamomile, lavender, things I can't live without (well, there is the grocery store, but growing your own anything is usually best). 

so as an animist, I believe that every living thing has a soul or a spirit. for the sake of this conversation well call it a spirit. this isn't limited to only living things though. your home has a spirit, the clearing where our fire pit and forge is has a spirit (I know I said I don't own land, we rent off my inlaws in my husbands childhood home because it has these amenities). every place, nearly every THING has a spirit, though there are exceptions. lets not go there now.

consider that your lavender has its own spirit, just as the other plants in your garden do. on its own, its spirit has the rudiments of a personality, imagine. now add the fact that it has a home in your garden, that you have tended it with love and intention, that you have spoken to it.

the result is a healthy, strong spirit in your lavender. when you cut it, and you hang it, treat it, you are performing a ritual on it or for it. it lives a full life, and continues its journey as a spirit after its life is extinguished. you are still caring for it as you bathe and soak it to make your own oils.

the integrity of the spirit of the incense is bound to the integrity of the spirit of its active ingredient, in this case, not the stick, but the oils. I think

Edited by BeanSiFiain, 16 March 2018 - 04:42 PM.

#6 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

To my way of thinking, the whole plant is where the spirit lies - the essential oil is just part of it. Sort of like you are you as a whole person, but your blood is only part of you. That said, there is an overarching spirit for each species. Perhaps try to access that rather than the individual plant's spirit?

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#7 BeanSiFiain

BeanSiFiain

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:50 PM

To my way of thinking, the whole plant is where the spirit lies -

​uh oh, I think I found what I want for my birthday in your signature there.....:b

Edited by BeanSiFiain, 16 March 2018 - 04:50 PM.

#8 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:43 PM

Do you make your own oils?

No I don't have the equipment to but I try to buy them from etsy where a person is making them more than a big company churning them out. 

#9 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

In my opinion, if you are getting your essential oils from a reliable source and they are in fact well made essential oils and not fragrance oils or the like

you should still be able to connect with the 'overarching spirit'  as Mountain Witch said.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#10 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:53 PM

I wanted to thank everyone for their input. I think it was just starting a new medium throwing me off. 

#11 steffykaye

steffykaye

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:14 PM

I buy all of my oils from the shop at my college. Most of the plants are grown on site, harvested and processed by the same people who grow them. However, as many have said getting them from a reliable source is the next best option to making them yourself. I don’t think oils reduce the spirit of the plant. We actually discussed this in one of my classes. With all of the attempts by traditional science to isolate individual chemical components that are medically beneficial in order to be able to replicate them in the lab, they have discovered something that amazed them. Even though the chemicals they replicated did have some benefit, the entire essential oil had a greater effect. The spirit of the plant is present in the oil making it impossible to duplicate the benefits of the plant in the lab.