• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

I was watching the Good Witch again the other day... don't judge me ;)... and I wondered if anyone on here had turned their witchcrafting skills into a full time or part time career?

I know Sandy has (I'm not a proper stalker, honest).

oh and if you can think of any other alliterations feel free to add lol 

life is better with a biscuit

#2 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:29 PM

I’m trying to figure out how to carve a niche for myself In the occult business world, but Inhavent quite stumbled upon the right path yet.
I am very wary of Gordon White’s warning “This is a very over-saturated market for a relatively small group of people”. Everyone with a smartphone has a YouTube channel or an Etsy is page these days...not all of them should. But then there’s some really talented astrologers, card readers, herbalists, etc. that seem to be doing very well for themselves.

Some of you know that my career has me working for a Christian organization. The job is the only one of its kind that perfectly suits my talents, gifts and abilities, while challenging me in areas of my passions. Plus, I’m helping people everyday. But in order to stay in this dream job, I have to be dishonest about my beliefs and that is wearing me down so much. It’s weird, because I have felt that this was “a calling” in some ways ..:to help people connect to their form of deity, even though I feel the church has a very narrow concept of divinity. Plus the practicalities of trying to find a secular job which uses my experience and talents is proving nearly impossible. After six years in this leadership position, I’m not sure how exactly to start over from scratch...I don’t exactly want to go back to working at Starbucks unless I have to, you know?

So maybe there is an occult equivalent to the job I do now? I know there is...I just haven’t figured out how to make it pay the bills yet. Being a trad witch (rather than associated with a religious or occult organization) makes this a little more difficult I think. But I’m getting there. I get sick of the new ager’s always talking about “Divine Purpose” and all that...but maybe that resonates a little deeper than I would care to admit.

#3 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:08 AM

RG - this is an aside, but after seeing your tarot art just now, I think you could definitely crowdfund and self-publish your deck as an ongoing venture for an occult income. That's an area that never seems to be over saturated, as most people who have more than one or two decks seem unable to avoid buying more decks if they're unique :D (and I think your art is beautiful!). Plus, you can even crowdfund it *prior* to finishing it since you have the Majors done and can leverage that for backers and other items beside just the finished deck (e.g. shirts, bags, etc)

Anyway, I personally wouldn't want to try and utilize my Craft to make money even though there are several ways I could do so, because I don't want the focus to be on business. As someone who's been self-employed my whole adult life, I'd rather keep marketing, etc out of my Craft....

#4 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

The good witch's main character has a shop that sells all sorts of things from crystals, to home remedies, to items of interest she'd purchased on her travels.  That's what started my train of thought and went on to imagine having a small shop selling oddities of the macabre, mythical and wonderful. Bit like Borgin & Burkes from Harry Potter lol 

I somewhat agree with you IslandBruja, I would personally feel that the exchange of money would cheapen a spell, making it almost an emotionless business transaction. And I don't know about others but I can't perform a spell without emotion. But on the other hand if you have a particular gift for an aspect of your craft, whether it's Tarot, charm making, candle magic etc. you could profit from that one of few areas of expertise. What do they say, If you're good a something, never do it for free! 

And RapunzelGnome, from what I remember of your pumpkin picture you have an artist talent. Like IB said, perhaps use that skill combined with your knowledge of your craft to make works of art for sale. I know of someone who started selling the odd piece and now is working full time with a printing and commissioned artwork business. 

life is better with a biscuit