8 replies to this topic

#1 professorchaos

professorchaos

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:02 PM

Hello, 

I have not posted much at this point. I am really still focusing on reading up on folklore, history etc from a few different cultures as I work on finding my way and as such have not had much to contribute as of yet. The scope of my practice thus far has really just been more getting to know myself, working on honing my skill and maintaining a meditative state, some sigil work and the like. I am not gifted in mediumship and am not aware of any one in my or my husband's family who is (not that it makes it an impossibility). My question is pertaining to my children, specifically my 2 youngest sons. I tried searching this topic and was not able to find an answer that got to the heart of my question, which is how to know if your children are showing signs of mediumship or when it is just their imagination?

My boys are 3 years apart, when we moved into our new home a few years ago my older son who was 4 at the time started to tell me about his friend who lived in our house and described him to me in detail. He also stated that he had an arrow through his head and he was very sad because he was alone and missed his momma. I didn't try to tell him that it was all fake and just let him know that that was very sad, I asked at one point if we could help and he said his friend told him no. I was not practicing witchcraft at this point but I had seen a couple of spirits (or something I assumed was a spirit) at different times in my life so I was still a firm believer in ghosts and didn't want to dismiss it out of hand. As time went on he quit talking about his friend and I forgot about it, and assumed maybe it really was just an imaginary friend.  A couple of years later, my younger son brought up the same friend's name when he was about 3, he described him similarly, though not exact (he was 3 to be fair) and it made me wonder if it really was something more.

My husband is a firm non-believer and dismissed it as my being silly but I am not convinced. My youngest son also has the world's most sensitive nose (he has been known to start crying because of overwhelmingly bad smells that no one else can detect) and he frequently says that he can smell things like perfumy/shampoo etc. when no one else is able to. I was hoping that someone had some insight or experience with something similar? I do not want to discourage my kids from being in tune with any potential psychic gifts because they are hammered over the head with the phrase "it's not real" since I believe differently but I also don't want to start thinking zebras when they may just be playing. 

#2 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

I have no children; so of course I'm an expert. :witch2:  I think that kids are open to things that adults screen out. Also, "spirits/ entities /etc.", may make themselves "available" to children because they are a more willing audience.

If you become worried about what your children are perceiving you might instill some sort of protection in your home for them; if you've not already done so. And, with open ended questions,  try to evaluate the nature of what they see/ smell /hear.

There are bad things out there that can and do masquerade as something else. :ghost:

Edited by Belwenda, 09 January 2018 - 08:51 PM.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#3 professorchaos

professorchaos

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:50 PM

Thank you, at this point it has been a couple of years and nothing upsetting has happened so I do think it is probably fine. I definitely try to avoid leading questions and just leave all possibilities open when we talk rather than try to influence them one way or another. I guess I can just  keep an eye on the situation and see how things develop. I will also keep the in home protection going. I appreciate the perspective!

#4 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:40 PM

I also have no kids, but I used to be one :) so can offer a viewpoint from memory.

As far as encountering spirits, well...the elderly lady next door came to my bedroom one predawn to say good bye when I was 4. I told my mom in the morning, and she told my dad later (I shamelessly eves dropped). They were discussing that the neighbor had died over night. My parents decided together to tell me I'd heard an owl. Humph. I just took the neighbor's presence at face value at the time and nodded dumbly when I was told it was an owl. It wasn't until my late teens that other similar things began to make sense and drew me to read up on parapsychology at the library.

There was zero tolerance in our household for paranormal anything. Ive wished so often for a more open-to-discussion background, and can accept now they did the best they knew how. Many years down the road, when mom was in & out of a coma before dying, & said her deceased mother was talking to her. This disturbed mom something fierce. I was able to reassure mom that it wasn't an owl :D because I could see grandma too. So the little event went full circle and helped mom cross over in due time with far less fear. It was one of life's friendlier lessons.

In my thinking, your 2 kids describing a similar child years apart was probably paranormal and not fabricated.

#5 Merianna

Merianna

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:43 AM

I have the same thought as Zombee. Since your children who are a few years apart are describing the same "entity" in similar ways has to count for something. And for a young child to be so descriptive in what they are seeing for me is pretty much straightforward.
I myself haven't had such vivid visits, only the occasional shadow figures when the lights are off. I do feel the spirits in my house around a lot but rarely spot them.

I'm glad that you aren't just brushing it off and calling it nothing, because to me, it sure doesn't sound like nothing.
Ask your kids if maybe they feel comfortable around the boy or not.

Edited by Merianna, 22 January 2018 - 09:45 AM.

#6 Phoenixxx

Phoenixxx

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:17 AM

Hi!
Well I DO have a minor child :-) and we had an instance in 2008 that I'd like to share with you.
One of my best friends had passed away due to an overdose two days after her birthday & we started hearing things, seeing but not seeing things - if that makes sense. However, my boyfriend (now ex! Ha!) and I talked about it often, but never ever around my son.
One evening my son and I were listening to music when he asked if I could turn it down because he wanted to tell me something. I did, of course, and he said..
You know, we have a ghost? I asked where & he pointed toward the unoccupied back room. I then reassured him all was well and asked it was a boy or girl. My son said...
Now this blows me away - because only I knew what she looked like because she had moved to another state -
She looks like a boy but she's a girl and she's nice!
Now my friend DID look exactly like that. Also I KNEW it was her. Before my son shared this with me, like I said, we'd been experiencing things - even dreams. In fact my boyfriend and I had the same exact dream where our friend said the same exact thing to each of us.
So.. honestly, it may be an actual spirit your child is seeing - or imagination. But, like suggested, do a blessing in your home and a protection blessing too.
I hope my story helps!
Thanks for reading !!

#7 professorchaos

professorchaos

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:26 AM

Been away but thank you for the replies! The boys said they feel fine around him, he's nice. They haven't seen him recently though (maybe since early February?) Not sure if that's significant, I haven't done anything but a general cleansing and blessing throughout the house ( this was in March) I'm curious to see if he will make another appearance. I wish I could get better information about the history of my neighborhood but sadly, there's not much available that I can find

#8 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:37 PM

You might check Internet census records and get some names, then begin searching the names in your local on-line newspaper obituaries...y'know, if you have that kind of time.

#9 professorchaos

professorchaos

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:08 PM

That is a great idea :) I don't have the time per se but, I'm great at procrastinating other projects to make time for new rabbit holes to dive into ;)