• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:33 AM

Happened across this article whilst avoiding people today, and found it fascinating. I thought other weaving witches might find it of interest as well. 

http://www.bbc.com/t...silk-seamstress

#2 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

I've been meaning to post this article on TW for a couple of months to share with everyone! Every time I think of it, I'm not online... thanks for sharing, it really is a beautiful story and craft. I wish I could see some of her creations in person, and I hope her daughter changes her mind.

It makes me wonder how many other lost arts and crafts in the world there are we've never even heard of or seen because someone had no interest in carrying it on after they were given years and years of priceless knowledge. 

#3 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:49 AM

Absolutely fascinating, thanks for sharing it. It would be a tragedy to lose this knowledge but what a pressure on her poor daughter. It's a life of service and obviously her daughter hasn't felt the same call.

#4 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

Yeah, I had mixed feelings about the daughter. On one hand, we all want to live our own lives as we see fit, on the other, she was born into a responsibility she’s completely abandoned. Although that responsibility is worth millions of dollars, and she’d never be able to make a living with it. I wonder why a surrogate daughter wasn’t chosen. It sounds like there are other sea silk seamstresses, just not “masters”.

#5 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:22 AM

Very evocative artical. I hope the daughter returns to her heritage, but agree, she cannot be forced.
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.