• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Cherry

Cherry

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:12 PM

So I spend most of my weekends traveling, because of my work. After a while it started to annoy me how every time I would need some ingredients or tools for my spells there would be something missing. Of course this is not that a big of a deal since you don't really NEED all that, but for someone like me who prefers using these tools and constantly forgets something at home... I desided I should make this on-the-go witch kit.

Inside my on-the-go witch kit:
- Crystals and gemstones
- Tarot
- Small mirror (mostly for scrying)
- Many tiny jars full of ingredients (salt, cinnamon, rosemary, seaweed etc.)
- Tealight holder, tealight and box of matches.

WitchCraft%2B2.jpg

I know, I know... it's still pretty big, but it has pretty much all the things I like to use on my daily practises right now (except a small cauldron).

Do any of you guys have your own on-the-go witchcraft kits? Any good ideas how this could be improved?

Edited by Cherry, 04 December 2017 - 09:13 PM.

#2 Moly

Moly

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:05 PM

I don't really use tools but I think your travel kit is awesome. It's like a home away from home, very practical but also comforting. You've even got a quartz wand. Love it

#3 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

I have one packed into a soft, 4x4x6 zippered cosmetic carry case. However the contents are similar:

6" wand, made from a left-over piece from my 18" "home" wand
Mini Brass cauldron
Wooden bowl
Recycled small herb shakers of my own all-purpose herb mix &'salt
Plastic Holy Water bottle, water is holy after all
Incense matches & birthday candle color pack
"Pocket" note book & red pencil for sigils
Spool of Red Thread
Pendulum
Compact mirror
Mini journal BOS
Folding "pen" knife
Palm stone, serves as hearth stone as it's from my yard, and as a stroking stone for meditation/spells

The herb shaker fits inside the cauldron which sits inside the bowl. Everything else fits in around the edges. The books lay flat on the top. Wand, pencil & knife fit in elastic brush holders in the lid. And I walk with a cane, so it goes everywhere with me and serves well for a staff, which is all I need.

Edited by Zombee, 07 January 2018 - 02:51 AM.

#4 Cherry

Cherry

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:20 PM

I have one packed into a soft, 4x4x6 zippered cosmetic carry case. However the contents are similar:

6" wand, made from a left-over piece from my 18" "home" wand
Mini Brass cauldron
Wooden bowl
Recycled small herb shakers of my own all-purpose herb mix &'salt
Plastic Holy Water bottle, water is holy after all
Incense matches & birthday candle color pack
"Pocket" note book & red pencil for sigils
Spool of Red Thread
Compact mirror
Mini journal BOS
Folding "pen" knife
Palm stone, serves as hearth stone as it's from my yard, and as a stroking stone for meditation/spells

The herb shaker fits inside the cauldron which sits inside the bowl. Everything else fits in around the edges. The books lay flat on the top. Wand, pencil & knife fit in elastic brush holders in the lid. And I walk with a cane, so it goes everywhere with me and serves well for a staff, which is all I need.

Sounds awesome! Can I ask do you use actual Holy Water or just fill the bottle with regular one? It's always interesting to notice how the ways we practise our craft differs from one witch to another. I don't really use sigils, thread or wand in my craft. I'd say I'm more focused on divination right now, though I'm sure that will change at some point. I'll probably replace the gemstones I have in my kit with some stones from my home town too, since they tend to speak to me more. I've always liked rough stones I've collected myself more than those gemstones I've bought somewhere. It's easier to understand their personality, strengths and weaknesses. But that's just how I like it :)

Edited by Cherry, 05 December 2017 - 08:21 PM.

#5 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

I am refilling an old, emptied bottle, stamped with the words "Holy Water". It's flat and fits in the bag. I use plain water in which the Moon's reflection has been caught. 1/2 cup H2O & 3 pinches of plain salt. Bless them and that's it.

Yes our kits should reflect the types of work we do. I suck at Tarot divination, but folk magic makes sense to me. And I love rocks. Really. Big round one's. Flat ones. Oddly marked one's. Shiny one's, oh those especially. :) they all sing.

#6 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:15 PM

There was a thread a couple of years ago where someone commented that the little packets of salt you get in restaurants can be very handy for workings on the go. 

Very nice and practical kit Cherry and it makes a lot of sense if you are on the move a lot.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#7 Akashiel

Akashiel

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:30 PM

I rarely leave my house for long enough to need a on the go kit, but I do have a small assortment of items where ever I go (excepts when I go drinking). A spyderco harpy knife for gathering ingredients and carving runes, a pocket grimoire,pen, punch of jewelry with various uses and a mint tin with a couple of lancets, acupuncture needles, moxa(otherwise known as mugwort) and salt.

Cool kit by the way.

Edited by Akashiel, 23 December 2017 - 09:31 PM.

#8 Moly

Moly

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

Just thinking about the pocket grimoire, does anyone else keep their notes electronically? I have a private passworded tumblr and on my train to work I'm always writing notes about magic of the previous evening using the tumblr app on my smartphone. I feel like my smartphone is kind of a on-the-go witch kit component in this way for me. Who knew electronics could be used as part of a magic practice... yet here we are talking magic on the internet.

#9 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

Love it Cherry.

I’ve always got some go to crystals in my purse (obsidian, quartz, and green adventurine) and a little roll- on of peppermint EO and cassia. Other than that, my most frequently used tool is my phone. I’ve got apps for astrological transits (recently discovered TimePassages and it’s my favorite by far), an app for the planetary hours, the Wildwood tarot app (I have the physical deck at home and use it a LOT), and a rune caster app (its... okay...). I have one notebook in Evernote that is all spells, and I keep pdf’s of a lot of alchemical texts and monographs. When I open my phone, there’s a sigil on my homescreen charged for a long term intention.

When I need to steal away to get in a trance, I open up my Calm app, pop in the ear buds and use their timed (unguided) meditation function. I listen to a lot of occult podcasts also.

At home, I prefer to go the non-digital route for my workings (analogue? Lol) but it’s nice to have corresponding tech for on-the-go. Traditional techniques in a non traditional way.

Edited by RapunzelGnome, 05 January 2018 - 05:35 PM.

#10 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:04 AM

I’m the same, RapunzelGnome. I use my phone a lot when I’m out and about. I use Dream for reality checks and listen a lot of occult podcasts and audio books as well. At home, I also prefer analogue. Usually if I’m out, I’ll make all the notes on my phone, and transfer them to my journals later when I get home.

#11 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:32 PM

I would really like to get some recommendations for good podcasts. Love podcasts for my long commute.

I have a little tin that I keep some stones shells salt water etc in. Also a lighter, tealight / birthday candles and sometimes little symbolic items. Good for offerings too like lavender I harvest from our garden. I like to do workings at the beach so a pocket size kit is good. Then I just use a scallop shell as an offering bowl.

If I'm away from home I like to have tarot cards, a smudge stick, a mini cauldron and some little net bags for herbs. I like to have salt, pepper, rosemary, cloves and bay leaves as well as my lavender.

#12 Birka

Birka

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:09 AM

I have a smallish hip pack that I take with me when I travel. It has seven or eight herbs I find essential, a couple of crystals, and if I'm traveling domestically in the US and checking my bag, I also keep a pocket knife in it. There's a small book with a few things in it, but for the most part it's pretty simple. There are a couple of small premade things in it that I refresh regularly. I also keep a small amount of candles in the pouch, too. 

I keep a lighter in my carry on, in the ziplock bag pouch. If I need any images, I keep them on my phone. 

I always have a tarot deck and a deck of cards in a bag I'm carrying, as well. Otherwise, I rely a lot on tattoos I've gotten over the years for help and assistance on the go, as I travel a whole bunch and am not always able to carry my kit bag with me. 

Neat ideas here! thanks for the thread!

#13 Moondark

Moondark

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

That's badass.

I keep a "trick bag"; dagger, tarot, pendulum, crystal ball and a desecrated rosary.

Add thereto a pouch of salt and some baubles for the Fae and it's a pretty decent collection.

I also have a big ol' leather messenger bag to throw the rest of my stuff in whenever shit gets real.

#14 Cherry

Cherry

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:12 AM

I'm back! Haven't really had time to visit forums since I have been writing my thesis ^_^

But like I said I travel a lot. Not necessarily far, but often. Every summer I spend at least 1-2 months away from home singing and performing. I usually end up living with christian people who would probably freak out if they saw my tarot cards, gems etc. So for me it's better to have everything in a small box that's easy to hide. I have a habit of drawing futhark runes on doors of the place I'm living. I usually use mixture of water and herbs, so that my roommates won't notice :P

Using technology as a part of your practise... I like the practicality of it. It's fast and easy. Also unnoticeable. Personally I don't really use it much because using my phone or computer makes me lose my focus. I need to be fully present and aware for my magic. But I do use it when doing my research and I like to transcribe my notes afterwards!

#15 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:26 PM

I would really like to get some recommendations for good podcasts. Love podcasts for my long commute.....

Peter Paddon made some excellent instructional Podcasts and videos. You-tube MrShaddowbwoy and Kelden.

Edited by Zombee, 29 June 2018 - 06:43 PM.

#16 Ozman

Ozman

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

Just thinking about the pocket grimoire, does anyone else keep their notes electronically? I have a private passworded tumblr and on my train to work I'm always writing notes about magic of the previous evening using the tumblr app on my smartphone. I feel like my smartphone is kind of a on-the-go witch kit component in this way for me. Who knew electronics could be used as part of a magic practice... yet here we are talking magic on the internet.

I have an electronic one but I then at some point transfer these notes into a hardcover book, it just depends where I'm at and what I'm doing. 

#17 Ozman

Ozman

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:38 AM

I never thought of making a kit, usually I'll back my things in a suit case if I'm travelling for the long hall, but have also relied less and less on tools as I've progressed in magic(k) so I find I don't need to pack as much as I use to. Also, if you do things mentally in meditation or in a trance state it's as if you did it in the physical as well, so that's always good when I'm on a train, airplane, or something along those lines. 

#18 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:06 PM

I'm not traveling at all any more so revamped my travel-kit as a work basket to tote outdoors for night time work in my back yard. It has an iron fire-pot, lighter, mini flash-light, self burn sawdust pine-cedar incense, copper gazing bowl, blade, stroking stone & the ever present holy water bottle. I set up a folding camp chair & star gaze in comfort. I left the pendulum &'little book in from it's former life.

Edited by Zombee, 29 June 2018 - 07:20 PM.

#19 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

I must be the one and only person in the world who does not have a cell phone. I like pen and paper, and i keep a hand written Grimoire.
When I travel, I usually have some crystals appropriate to the reason of travel. Health, Luck or safety. If there is to be a Full Moon or special Sabbat, I will take a candle and pre annoint it with the correct oil.
I don't really need much in the way of props, usually my finger and my intent is all I need.

#20 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:59 PM

You're not alone. No cellphone or digital television. Bliss! I don't miss the mass stupidity. Our society can do better than this.