10 replies to this topic

#1 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:31 AM

I have never tried.
I can not see how an app could ever work as well as an actual deck that you have to touch and shuffle.

What do you guys think? Anyone use them?

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#2 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

I know of people who enjoy them. I personally don't find them useful for divination. But I do find they're a cost effective way of testing out a deck before purchasing.

#3 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:27 AM

Oh, they're also good if you have an out of print deck and need the guidebook found on the app

#4 mudang

mudang

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

Depends on the app and if the algorithm is truly "random" in terms of pulls.

I enjoy using my phone app if i can't get to my physical deck. it seems about 75% accurate with the reasons i give.

Call me Mivi.

Korean Shaman-Priest (무당)

Schedule 신점 (divination), 기도 (prayerwork), 굿 (grand ceremonies)!

Fundraiser for Temple Room

"Money can move the gods."

#5 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

I've tried a couple and found them useless for actual divination. They could be a useful tool for a complete beginner to start learning the traditional card meanings as some are nicely set out with key words etc or have card tutorials.

Other than that, I ended up deleting them pretty quickly.

#6 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:29 PM

I use the Wildwood Tarot app for my daily draw. I started doing that way back to learn the cards when I got the Ww deck and it's become a nice morning ritual for me. I don't use it for more in depth spreads and readings, but it seems to be pretty accurate for a general energy reading.

The app has an option to shuffle, cut or riffle the deck which you can do as many times as you wish. I don't usually use that function, as it doesn't seem to be necessary now that the app is "in-tune" to my energy.

I understand concerns about it not being a physical deck to touch and feel (which is why I use a real deck for most readings....just feels better), but if you think about it, there's probably no object you own that you carry, touch, use, and pour time and energy and emotion into as your phone. And it's literal a portal for communication. It's not traditional no, but the witches of old used the things they had available so it's in the same spirit. For me it's become an equivalent to checking the planetary transits and moon phases on my phone each day.

Edited by RapunzelGnome, 07 October 2017 - 08:31 PM.

#7 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:57 PM

Rapunzel one of the apps I had actually made the same point about the phone - how deeply they are imprinted with our energy. I was really excited at the idea but one of the apps was just ok and one of them was terrible. Every reading was just negative - even with the most innocuous questions.

I'd love to find a phone app I could work with as the convenience of them is really appealing.

#8 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:29 PM

I get what you are saying wips, but I think the same could happen with a physical deck as well. Sometimes you get one that just doesn't work for you.

Rg, I really like how you describe it, It seems I was being teck bias.

I guess I will just have to try it myself.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#9 Alric

Alric

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:01 AM

I have both. But I find I can attune my energies much better to something I can physically touch. I've tried the app but I'm not sold on its trustworthiness, especially since for me there's more distractions, I.e. notifications from other apps, texts, etc.. more of a temptation to switch the screen over to something else for a bit and come back to it.

#10 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:27 PM

Yeah, if I could find a phone deck I connected with I would love it for the convenience! It might be a good, cheap way to try out some decks. I know the wildwood one seems to be a real Marmite deck - people either love it with a passion or don't connect with it at all. So the phone app might be a good cost-effective way of trying it.

#11 Birka

Birka

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:32 PM

I find them useful for small things, not for larger readings. 

I like the wildwood. I had a rider waite that is no longer supported that was pretty phenomenal. 

I've had better luck with Rune or dice apps than tarot, though. I find random number and dice apps work really well.