10 replies to this topic

#1 Bikaboop

Bikaboop

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

Hello all,

This is my first thread. I couldn't find something specifically speaking to this, if I missed something feel free to delete this!

When I was a kid my father went through a sort of new-age phase. I remember one afternoon he had gotten me and my sister together and showed us the crystal pendulum he had recently acquired. I was completely taken with it, in the innocent way that only kids can do. He let me borrow one and I took it with me everywhere. I brought it to school every day and showed people how amazing this thing was that would very clearly swing in whichever direction. There was, however, a little boy in my class who was very fiery and stubborn and a staunch believer in "science". He was convinced I was making the whole thing up, and was determined to prove it. He told me one day while I was playing with the pendulum in my little magical rapture - that it was because I was moving it with my arms, hands, wrists, fingers, whatever.

I was incredulous. He told me to do it while he held my arm. The movement was MUCH decreased and when I put my arm on a table I could hardly get it to move at all. In my memory that was the end of it, though it went on for a while after. For now I was fraught with a little niggling doubt which I carry to this day.

Flash forward to now, I am interested in having a go at divination to see what it's all about. My previous love affair with the pendulum seems a natural place to start. I tried making my own with an acorn and another little thing, but those didn't work. I figure it may help them to be balanced?

My real question however is this: Dedicated pendulum users, do you get the same results from holding your arm in the air vs putting your arm on a table? How do you know you don't use slight movements to come up with whatever answer you may on some level be looking for? Do you take the physical input of the practitioner for granted? If so, does it in your mind discount the results? Or not?

Would love to hear some thoughts on this.

Thanks all

#2 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:59 PM

Divination is one of my weaker areas, I still struggle with tarot, so I am no expert but using pendulums is one method that I have had success with. I have never done it with others watching like you did when you were a child but I can imagine you weren't fully focused. Especially with some little oik hovering over you.

The way I understand divination is using a method that aids you to see and interpret something through your subconscious. For me I need to be in the right frame of mind and clear on what I want to know.

I like to sit at a table with my elbows resting on it and my hands together so it forms a triangle. I have a visual aid or pendulum chart on the table between my elbows. I then have the cord of the pendulum looped around my middle finger and let it hang between my arms. I try to keep my arms and hands as still as possible, with my eyes closed and my mind focused. When I feel the time is right I open my eyes and the pendulum will be swinging away and take the interpretation from there. I always keep what I'm asking simple and I've only ever used a purpose built metal pendulum that I have connected with.

I'm sure others here will have a lot more knowledge than me on this but hope that helps a bit.

life is better with a biscuit

#3 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

It doesn't matter if I'm subconsciously moving the pendulum. It's still revealing info I wouldn't get otherwise. The subconscious is a vast storehouse of hidden info, so what does it really matter, as long as it's consistent and reliable?

I usually prop my elbow on something bcs my arm gets tired. and yeh, the motions are wider and stronger if I'm standing and my arm is unsupported. That's just the physics of a longer reach and gravity. Same with dowsing rods. I've used both. The system works. You don't need to over think it.

I used a pendulum over a map years ago when I was house hunting ... And found a good place that met my specifications, in an older part of town that has revitalized due to local colleges' growth. I use a pendulum to choose between 2 similar-seeming items when shopping, & even to check an insurance salesperson's validity, and winnow down the obnoxious Medicare supplement choices. I figured those are good ops for my subconscious guidance to be beneficial.

#4 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:22 PM

I prefer a sturdier setting. Sometimes I'll even put the pendulum on something else and touch a loose end that won't affect it to read it. If I have to read it freely in the air, I read it multiple times to standardize the answer.

RSKHFMY

#5 Bikaboop

Bikaboop

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:52 PM

The subconscious is a vast storehouse of hidden info, so what does it really matter, as long as it's consistent and reliable?

I usually prop my elbow on something bcs my arm gets tired. and yeh, the motions are wider and stronger if I'm standing and my arm is unsupported. That's just the physics of a longer reach and gravity. Same with dowsing rods. I've used both. The system works. You don't need to over think it.

I used a pendulum over a map years ago when I was house hunting ... And found a good place that met my specifications, in an older part of town that has revitalized due to local colleges' growth. I use a pendulum to choose between 2 similar-seeming items when shopping, & even to check an insurance salesperson's validity, and winnow down the obnoxious Medicare supplement choices. I figured those are good ops for my subconscious guidance to be beneficial.

Ok. This is very helpful. I will try to get my hands on a real one and give some of these things a shot.
Many thanks

#6 Bikaboop

Bikaboop

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

To everyone*

#7 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:35 PM

A "real one"? Are there simulations? :) I just use whatever's handy, like a necklace im wearing or needle and thread. I admit my favorite is one I pieced together from a chain bracelet and a faceted sun catcher. I also have a copper one advertised as being conducive to healing. Meh. My home made one works just fine.

Have you ever seen pendulum boards? An alternative when making a decision is to write several choices on a piece of paper like the spokes of a wagon wheel and hold the bobbed string over it to ask which is most beneficial. Include a couple dummy choices to test yourself if you want.

Edited by Zombee, 04 October 2017 - 10:50 PM.

#8 Bikaboop

Bikaboop

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:47 AM

A "real one"? Are there simulations? :) I just use whatever's handy, like a necklace im wearing or needle and thread.

:P I guess I meant that the ones that are geometrically on your side, aka not lopsided. The ones I have tried to make myself or find and use (an ocarina on a string, a necklace) don't seem nearly as responsive as what I remember. In fact they don't really respond at all. It possible I am not being patient/focused enough. I have been a little out of it recently.

#9 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:34 PM

It doesn't matter if I'm subconsciously moving the pendulum. It's still revealing info I wouldn't get otherwise. The subconscious is a vast storehouse of hidden info, so what does it really matter, as long as it's consistent and reliable?

This.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#10 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

I've found different methods and traditions have different fundamentals of how they work with the pendulum. As a result they seem to have different takes on involuntary movement. Some seem to rely on it others seem to avoid it.

I talked a little about what I was taught about it in this conversation. http://www.tradition...e-3?hl=pendulum

For some time now I've mainly used a hanging pendulum rather than holding one. Its just been convenient to work around. But I never hesitate to make one if I'm not at home. As for materials I often go for acorns or small pine cones and cordage. At home its a pendent I've had for many years. Seems to me its less about what it is made from and more about what works well with you and you relate with as a pendulum, rather than a bit of string and a sinker.

I hope you find any of this helpful.

#11 Verin

Verin

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:43 AM

I think the fact that YOU'RE moving it, without consciousness or intent of doing so, is exactly why the pendulum works. Because I believe that "the answers" USE our bodies to make themselves seen. But since their message is so subtle in terms of physical visibility, a pendulum is needed for us to actually SEE what the answer is. I think the answers are there just as much without any tools, but the tarot, the crystal ball, the pendulum and all of that just helps us to understand what we already know in another dimension or level of consciousness. I believe these tools to be something like a translator, or an interpreter. You could use your own body as a pendulum, and you would be moving your body rather fiercely. I've tried it when I couldn't decide on a very time consuming and expensive trip in order to salvage a friendship and I put the flag of the country I would have flown to in front of me and let my body react to it. It fiercely swung in the opposite direction. You can do that with two pieces of paper with each option written on it, and your body would swing to the right direction. So, if it is YOU moving the pendulum without intent, I think everything is working the way it's supposed to.