• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

Just wondering what you are all doing to get ready for winter? :) I saw the winter is coming thread which was great for recipes but what prep do you make to stock up and see you through winter?

I treated myself to a dehydrator so I could dry lots of things quickly. But during the summer I had time to dry lots of dandelions, sea daisies, lavender and sage.

Today I'm starting the final lavender cut and I have it and some bladderwrack in the dehydrator. I also need to get some rose petals, rosemary, thyme, peppermint, lemon thyme, chives and sage cut and dried. My Echinacea died a death :(

I've been looking everywhere for elder and think I found some but can't be sure enough not to poison myself! There were loads of rosehips and hawthorn berries but I wasn't sure what to do with them so any ideas I would love to hear them!

For next year I would love to have some mugwort growing.

#2 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

I'm in the beginning of Spring, but I love this topic :)

I, like you, collected lots of lavender before Winter, and I'm so glad I did. I collected lots of dandelion fluff, that's been very handy for spells sent through the air :D

I wish I had've thought to collect some of the other things you've done, so that's been good to think about. Can you still collect geranium flowers where you are? I think they would come in very handy! Eucalyptus would be another one I'd like to remember next time around, not sure if you have them where you are?

Also, ivy and birch would be great. Do you have any blackberry or raspberry bushes around? The leaves from those would be good, too.

#3 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:17 PM

I have a porch garden with potted herbs and other perennial plants. Right now I'm working on setting up a place inside to bring them when the weather cools off. My house doesn't get a lot of light, so I am going to get a light for them. Most of the plants I have I started with cuttings from other plants.

I have been working with the Artemisia plants for the first time this year...wormwood, mugwort, and tarragon. I discovered a whole crop of baby volunteer mugwort plants that have come up this summer around the edges of my main garden. It was such a cool discovery and I am certain that they were not there before. I am letting most of them mature and then I will dry them for the winter, but I did dig up a plant and potted it for the porch garden.

Other than that, I've just been drying or otherwise preserving the last of the harvest :)

True magic is neither bad nor good. It is both, because nature is both; loving and cruel all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch. Life keeps a balance on its own. - Lirio

#4 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

Ooooh, tell me more about the blackberry leaves please! How can they be used?

No geraniums here now Tricycle. Have lots of ivy collected. Would love to hear how you use it :) Love it that we're all over the place here.

MuireAnne I have Mugwort envy :D

#5 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

Ooooh, tell me more about the blackberry leaves please! How can they be used?

No geraniums here now Tricycle. Have lots of ivy collected. Would love to hear how you use it :) Love it that we're all over the place here.

MuireAnne I have Mugwort envy :D

@Tricycle, I too would like to hear about your uses for ivy! And by this do you mean English ivy?

@witchinplainsight, it really was the oddest thing. I've looked for wild mugwort for ages in my area and finally broke down and ordered some dried from Mountain Rose. I hadn't even received it when I noticed all the little plants coming up around the planter edges of my garden. I've lived here for nearly eight years and I've never seen it here. It's also not growing anywhere else nearby, only around my garden. I am choosing to view it as a gift and a greeting from the plant spirit :)

True magic is neither bad nor good. It is both, because nature is both; loving and cruel all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch. Life keeps a balance on its own. - Lirio

#6 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:39 PM

:flyaway:  Flying ointments all the way! :D

#7 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

@Tricycle, I too would like to hear about your uses for ivy! And by this do you mean English ivy?

I am planning to just use whatever type of ivy is growing at my house, I'm not sure what type it is. I've not used it in magic yet, but I thought I'd do some research, and see what comes up :) But, I will say, I've always wanted to try my hand at making baskets out of ivy and blackberry canes! Wouldn't it be interesting to work intention into it?

With the ivy, I was thinking of collecting the leaves and wood. I would like to experiment with the flexible stem parts as well, see if they can be twisted or tied in some way, for what use, I'm not sure yet. I also really want to take a cutting, to grow a small pot of ivy in the house.

#8 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

I am planning to just use whatever type of ivy is growing at my house, I'm not sure what type it is. I've not used it in magic yet, but I thought I'd do some research, and see what comes up :) But, I will say, I've always wanted to try my hand at making baskets out of ivy and blackberry canes! Wouldn't it be interesting to work intention into it?

With the ivy, I was thinking of collecting the leaves and wood. I would like to experiment with the flexible stem parts as well, see if they can be twisted or tied in some way, for what use, I'm not sure yet. I also really want to take a cutting, to grow a small pot of ivy in the house.

Ivy cuttings root exceptionally well in water and will even grow in water, provided that you change the water weekly and fertilize on a regular basis. I have done this to make hanging baskets and planters of ivy before. I do this with herbs also. Nearly all the herbs in my garden were originally from bunches of fresh herb cuttings that I purchased in the grocery store! If you dissolve an aspirin in the first batch of water it will improve the success rate. Willow bark works, too.

#9 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

Ivy cuttings root exceptionally well in water and will even grow in water, provided that you change the water weekly and fertilize on a regular basis. I have done this to make hanging baskets and planters of ivy before. I do this with herbs also. Nearly all the herbs in my garden were originally from bunches of fresh herb cuttings that I purchased in the grocery store! If you dissolve an aspirin in the first batch of water it will improve the success rate. Willow bark works, too.

Ooh, nice tip! Thank you. I hadn't heard the aspirin one before.

#10 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:43 PM

Ooh, nice tip! Thank you. I hadn't heard the aspirin one before.

Personally, I have much more success propagating plants this way than from seed. Just be patient, some plants take weeks to start rooting!