• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ManWitch

ManWitch

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:38 PM

I’ve been having trouble finding a good, solid black cloak for magical practice (particularly for when I head out into the woods). The ones that are commercially available are crap and don’t really fit me, you know?

I noticed that 13 Moons had some ritual wear, which is great, but then I found YourDressMaker.com, and for $85-150, depending on which upgrades you choose, you can completely customize your own cloak (color, shape of the hood, type of clasp, lining, cotton or silk), and also customize it’s size and fit to your body measurements. The basic cloak without upgrades is $85.

Though based in China, they’ve be been around for about a decade, I think; the website design, photos, and product details are professional; and they have tons of great reviews. Basic black cloaks on occult sites are selling for $100 already, so this place is where it’s at!

I’m totally getting one.

#2 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:49 PM

Another good way to get a fine cloak is to make one. They're really simple patterns, great for beginner sewers, and you can do some really awesome trim, thread/bead work, or whatever you like.

#3 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:16 AM

I'd look on Etsy -- there are lots of seamstresses on there that will do custom work for really reasonable rates because there's such a glut of them on there. Look there before you buy from a Chinese website, because all too often their pictures look fabulous and you get the item and it looks nothing like the pics (just google "prom dress fails"), but since it's through their own website there's not much you can do about it (and, unbeknownst to most people, PayPal won't offer buyer protection/refunds on custom items even if the end result is ridiculous (it's happened to me before with woven sew-on labels that were COMPLETELY illegible, yet paypal did nothing)). If you buy through Etsy however - even if the seller is in China - you have Etsy's refund system to back you up on custom orders that go awry... Hope that helps.

#4 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:07 AM

If you want something really super pimpish and custom, try:  http://www.theelvishtailor.co.uk/

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#5 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:23 AM

If you want something really super pimpish and custom, try:  http://www.theelvishtailor.co.uk/

oh, if we're talking super pimpish and custom, my favorite shop is in the Ukraine: https://www.etsy.com/shop/armstreet :wink:

#6 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:31 AM

Oh wow, the items are really nice!  Nicely priced I think as well.  Saved the link  :D

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#7 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:34 AM

Oh wow, the items are really nice!  Nicely priced I think as well.  Saved the link  :D

Yeah, I think so too for what you're getting, but sadly, the things I want are still out of my price range (and no one in my life has yet bought them as a gift for me from my Etsy wishlist :rofl:)

#8 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:49 AM

You can make some nice ones if you're good at sewing. I used to have a polar fleece one but my dog peed on it. It was super warm and easy to embellish.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#9 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:49 AM

That Armstreet store is beautiful! I never bought a cloak as I work outside a lot and thought the neighbours might get a bit spooked... but now I'm tempted!

#10 Lauvitra

Lauvitra

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:27 PM

I was going to suggest Armstreet myself, but since I'm too late, I'll just add this: I highly recommend! They have their own website as well, so Etsy isn't the only place you can buy their stuff from: https://armstreet.com/

They don't have that many cloaks, and many of the ones they do have, also have quite a high price, but they do have a couple of simple ones. I personally haven't bought a cloak from them yet, but I've purchased a lot of other stuff - and everything else that I've purchased has been of excellent quality, with a perfect custom fit. So, if quality and fit are important to you, ManWitch, I recommend.

I also second the recommendation to search through Etsy for other custom cloak-makers. You can find quite a few, and perhaps you'll find someone closer to your location to save on shipping (and possibly, import taxes).

"We pledge ourselves to you, the Frame-Maker, the Scarab:

a world for us to love you in, a cloak of dirt to cherish."

#11 ManWitch

ManWitch

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:00 PM

Good point on being cautious with Chinese sellers. I was doubtful too but they have great reviews.

These other stores are definitely pimp though!

#12 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:57 PM

Good point on being cautious with Chinese sellers. I was doubtful too but they have great reviews.

These other stores are definitely pimp though!

It's not just Chinese sellers - the illegible labels I got were from Denmark. My point was just that if it's through their own website, you are at their complete mercy if they screw up a custom order, with no recourse. Plus, positive reviews for shops that sell high volume mean next to nothing these days -- it's quite easy to pad reviews when they're in charge of their review system, and even on Etsy you have to actually read the negative reviews to see what the issues are because they might have thousands of "5 star" reviews from people who simply received a booklet of their fabric samples, while their actual garments get much lower reviews (I've seen this before).

As for Armstreet - they do have some simpler, less expensive cloaks, plus they have a 20% off coupon available right now for Halloween! 

#13 ScyldisBlackbriar

ScyldisBlackbriar

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

I bought a pretty nice wool cloak from https://www.etsy.com...onautmercantile that I'm happy with. It keeps me toasty in cold and light rain (which are factors in doing outdoor ritual during fall-spring where I live), and I'll often even wear it around in the house on the really cold days of winter.  :D

Personally, I try to buy high quality items made with natural materials, handmade and more locally when possible, or from places I know employees have good working conditions and are paid a living wage... which generally rules out a lot of Chinese products.

Every now and then I look over Armstreet's website and dream of buying all their gorgeous clothes, they seem to be great quality! And I agree with others, if you have any inclination to learn to sew, a cloak has a simple design and might be a good place to start. 

#14 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

Sometimes, at renaissance fairs there are nice cloaks for sale ; purchased a reversible black/ tweed wool one years ago, warm but heavy (and no hood). Used to dream of ordering one from "Cloaks of Ireland" but how to justify the cost? Fun to daydream about it though.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#15 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:41 PM

I have Two .

One from EBay (China) and one from a Etsy store.

Green velvet is the handmade luxury one is heavyweight, stunning inside and out approx £80 - £100

Red was from China, lightweight about £20

Attached Files