• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Lyra

Lyra

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:20 AM

I have a black cat. He was just abandoned at my house one day shortly after I started practicing. I felt the irony strongly at that time. I tolerate him. I have another cat, a fluffy tortoise shell. That one is my companion.

#42 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:09 AM

So I'm going a little off topic from my original post, but rather than starting a new thread, I thought I would share it here.

I have just discovered a breed of cat called a Lykoi a.k.a The Werewolf Cat and they look fricking awesome!!

Attached File  koi7-e1446066473275.jpg   195.19KB   0 downloads

Some of you have probably seen them before but it's the first time for me. 

life is better with a biscuit

#43 Lyra

Lyra

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:05 AM

... my cat is gone. He was a hunter Kitty and would often take off for multiple days at a time. He's been gone for a week this time and I knew it was different. Last night, I was having an ancestral "dream" and he was sitting on a stump as I was walking through the woods and jumped off the stump, rubbed on my legs, and joined my ancestors. It was odd.

#44 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that Lyra. Have you tried doing a locator spell? Are there any building works going on where you live and have you knocked on neighbours doors? When cats have gone missing near me they've either been stuck somewhere they shouldn't be on a building site or living it up at a neighbours house. Hope he comes back to you soon!

#45 Lyra

Lyra

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

My kitty has been found. He is very sick and weak, a neighbor left a bit ago, driving a car he never uses, and my kitty was somehow stuck underneath it. He is all skin and bones from starvation and dehydrated but he is home with me and I can help him pull through.

Edited by Lyra, 17 October 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#46 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:03 AM

My kitty has been found. He is very sick and weak, a neighbor left a bit ago, driving a car he never uses, and my kitty was somehow stuck underneath it. He is all skin and bones from starvation and dehydrated but he is home with me and I can help him pull through.

That's great news Lyra, hope he makes a speedy recovery!  :) 

#47 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:56 AM

Cats, adored pets they may be, black or not, are not familiars.  I'm sorry, but really...if you can justify such a belief please do so.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#48 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

Cats, adored pets they may be, black or not, are not familiars.  I'm sorry, but really...if you can justify such a belief please do so.

That's quite a bold statement Aurelian, not sure what qualifies you to say what is and is not in someone's practice/beliefs. I personally don't consider my pet as a familiar but I'm hoping a future one could be. And there are other's in this thread who have said their pet is a familiar. I think the majority of people here use spirits/guides/ancestors etc. in their practice to call upon and help them. Why would the living spirit of an animal be any different?

#49 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

The question could have been phrased much more gracefully.  My experience and beliefs are obviously not all encompassing.  It's always good to retain more than a shred of doubt about any given thing.  Otherwise, the question wouldn't even be worth asking.

In general terms, what does any given witches corporeal pet cat do, offer, or teach, that it is identified as a familiar?

There are reasons I ask the question.  I adjust my beliefs often, like anyone else, and am willing to do so on this subject.  

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#50 Alric

Alric

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

The question could have been phrased much more gracefully.  My experience and beliefs are obviously not all encompassing.  It's always good to retain more than a shred of doubt about any given thing.  Otherwise, the question wouldn't even be worth asking.
In general terms, what does any given witches corporeal pet cat do, offer, or teach, that it is identified as a familiar?

There are reasons I ask the question.  I adjust my beliefs often, like anyone else, and am willing to do so on this subject.

I’m allergic to cats, so the only thing they can offer me is a box of Kleenex

#51 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:34 PM

@Aurelian, If my understanding is correct a familiar is a spirit / conscious energy that you have a close connection with. You can connect with them directly or through another, be it animal, plant or human. Please correct if I'm wrong  :)

With regards to pets being familiars I'm sure it's rare, as from the accounts I've read the familiar finds you. Maybe it's the nature of cats being allowed to wander around on their own that there are more reports of them being familiars as apposed to other pets. I've certainly read more reports of birds and other wild animals being familiars over the family pet. The main reason I asked in my original thread if people considered their cat as a familiar, is purely down to the witch black cat stereotype and if the close bond with that pet was considered more.

I'm with you on taking everything with a pinch of salt. I'm also doubtful, especially with my own beliefs and abilities. Which is why I'm finding this site such a blessing as I can read everyone's experiences and compare them to my own. I would definitely like to hear from those with familiars though.

Thanks Solanaceae for the familiars thread bump

Edited by Khundekling, 24 October 2017 - 04:36 PM.

#52 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:01 PM

Sometimes I wonder if a spirit can have a familiar? I used to have an all white cat who would come running and jump on my shoulder whenever I channeled a particular spirit. She ignored every other channeled presence.

#53 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:03 AM

Perhaps that particular spirit was your cat's familiar?  ;) 

#54 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

@Aurelian, If my understanding is correct a familiar is a spirit / conscious energy that you have a close connection with. You can connect with them directly or through another, be it animal, plant or human. Please correct if I'm wrong  :)

With regards to pets being familiars I'm sure it's rare, as from the accounts I've read the familiar finds you. Maybe it's the nature of cats being allowed to wander around on their own that there are more reports of them being familiars as apposed to other pets. I've certainly read more reports of birds and other wild animals being familiars over the family pet. The main reason I asked in my original thread if people considered their cat as a familiar, is purely down to the witch black cat stereotype and if the close bond with that pet was considered more.

I'm with you on taking everything with a pinch of salt. I'm also doubtful, especially with my own beliefs and abilities. Which is why I'm finding this site such a blessing as I can read everyone's experiences and compare them to my own. I would definitely like to hear from those with familiars though.

I think that you have a decent grasp on the concept, although different witches have divergent definitions and opinions on the subject.  

The reason I'm so opinionated and salty about this particular subject is that too often people will latch onto a shallow and/or pop culture guided understanding of familiars, never delving any deeper into the matter, and any further understanding comes to halt.  Lo and behold, now their cat is their familiar!  Never anything else, it wouldn't cross their minds.

It goes without saying that if a witch does indeed have a kitty that is their familiar, me making a strong statement on the matter will change nothing at all!   :D

#55 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

I think that you have a decent grasp on the concept, although different witches have divergent definitions and opinions on the subject.  

The reason I'm so opinionated and salty about this particular subject is that too often people will latch onto a shallow and/or pop culture guided understanding of familiars, never delving any deeper into the matter, and any further understanding comes to halt.  Lo and behold, now their cat is their familiar!  Never anything else, it wouldn't cross their minds.

It goes without saying that if a witch does indeed have a kitty that is their familiar, me making a strong statement on the matter will change nothing at all!   :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Aurelian-

Just a quick comment from me-

I do have a black cat that I've had a long time. She is about 13 yrs old. I do admittedly have a strange connection with her, although I wouldn't necessarily call her a "familiar". Some examples; she is an indoor/outdoor cat...she catches mice but it is a rarity that she catches a bird...like maybe once or twice in 13 years. I needed a bird one time. I let her out one morning and mentally told her to go get me a bird. Not an hour later that cat killed a bird and brought it to me. Another time I was in the house watching her outside "play with" a mouse out in the backyard. Feeling badly for the mouse, I wondered why cats actually do that. I was having a new talent emerge during this time period that allowed me to "switch minds" with animals  (which I have contemplated to be the real definition of shape shifting possibly) and actually was able to switch minds with her briefly...like a minute or two maybe (I don't recommend it-it feels dangerous and is a very strange experience...I've only done it a few brief times...I feel like a lot of bad things can happen when you can truly do this...it's like giving your body over to an animal with an animal's mind and your own mind becomes more primal and a bit more limited in its ability to think like a human...saying all of that because this is in the public section of the forum). Anyway, it was fairly easy to make the switch. I know why cats do that now..lol. She does have a bit of an interest in being around when I am doing spells. I think she likes being around the energy that's being raised. I think she feels it maybe?

I don't necessarily believe that our pets can be familiars...but based on my few experiences, there is a nugget of truth to explore there. Basically, where there is smoke, there is usually some fire. 

Regarding cats though, in general, I have more of a personal affinity for calicos (or tortoiseshell) rather than black cats. Always have. I have to get another calico at some point. When my black cat was pregnant years ago, I sensed a calico. I could see it in the womb of my cat...I just knew she was going to have it. When the calico was born, I gave it away. I wish I would have kept it. I'm always on the lookout for my next calico. If you look into it, you'll see some info. out there on witches and calico cats from Europe, I believe. Makes sense to me. Interesting stuff.

I wonder if it is more about the individual owning the cat versus the cat itself...which is why I wouldn't call it a "familiar" situation but more of a witch being able to develop a special relationship with the cat, if that makes sense.

Have a good one! 

Edited by Anara, 26 October 2017 - 12:15 PM.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#56 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:10 PM

That's great, Anara!  

My cat, whom I love, just brings me.....decapitated baby bunnies.  All the time.  I've stepped out on my porch and....squish!  OMG   :stars:  He officially has his own shovel so I can go bury them out in the field.  I figure he thinks I'm the worst kitty ever and thus takes pity on me!

We can certainly develop very deep and special relationships with our critters, and I've been vegetarian for decades because I love animals.  I definitely can't do the shape-shifting thing.  I can pick up on (some) animals, but not in such a way.  That sounds like a very interesting ability.

That's a good thought, regarding the person owning the cat.  We can develop relationships with land spirits, some of whom are the embodiment of a certain species.  I wouldn't know how to classify such a relationship, but to me at least, I agree, not 'familiar.'

Good post and some things to think about!

#57 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:27 PM

My cat, whom I love, just brings me.....decapitated baby bunnies.  All the time.  I've stepped out on my porch and....squish!  OMG   :stars:  He officially has his own shovel so I can go bury them out in the field.  I figure he thinks I'm the worst kitty ever and thus takes pity on me!

Oh no! Not bunnies! LMAO! He's bringing you presents! That means he loves you! hahaha! (I feel ya... I've almost stepped on decapitated mice many a time..lol)  :rabbit:  :bunny3:  :bunny3:  :bunny3:

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#58 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:29 PM

Yes, I'm just a bad kitty!  LoL.

#59 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

I completely agree with you. If I were of the "fluffy" variety I would say my cat was my familiar because he's closer to me than anyone else because I'm a witch. He plays with witchy things so he must be a familiar right. But I feed him more than anyone else which is why that first bond was made and he will play with anything, unless my shoe laces and cardboard boxes have magical properties that I don't know about?  :confused: 

I think we are all probably guilty of seeing something that isn't there from time to time. Viewing things with our magical tinted glasses. That's what's good about being able to discuss these topics with people. It can be a bit of a reality check. 

#60 Lyra

Lyra

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:55 PM

Mine also decapitates bunnies and brings me the heads