#22 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:00 AM

Black dogs are always allowed! :P

:kat:

(also, I really need to know how it's possible that we have dog emoticons available on this forum but no cats!!!?!?? Droghon --- you have some 'splainin to do!  :lol: )

#23 Khundekling

Khundekling

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

He often took interest in my activities around the house, but not in a mischievous and playful way. 

I know what you mean there Madame, mine has to be in whatever room I'm in. I soon as I sit down, he's on my lap. If I'm folding laundry he's sat on it. Can't remember the last time I was allowed to do some work on my computer without him joining in. 

I have a black dog, he is an old man now. Faithful, perfectly behaved, I treasure him as much as any cat. I haven't been into the familiars thing so don't know much about that. But as a pet, dog, loved one, he is part of our family. That is the most important thing to me

Llyr, I think you miss spelt Cat  :lol: haha jus kiddin'. I would have a dog if I could, can't have one living in an apartment  :( 

life is better with a biscuit

#24 Khundekling

Khundekling

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

(also, I really need to know how it's possible that we have dog emoticons available on this forum but no cats!!!?!?? Droghon --- you have some 'splainin to do!  :lol: )

mini20gif46.gif

Just trying something out... **cough cough Droghon cough**

Edited by Khundekling, 07 September 2017 - 04:20 PM.

life is better with a biscuit

#25 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

Haha yeah fair enough IB ;0P

#26 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:11 PM

I've had two black cats over the years. The first was Tai Tai - translates to "Supreme of the Supreme" and it's a nickname for a grandmother. She was less than half the size of the other two, younger than both and lorded it over them (and all subsequent generations during her lifetime). We currently have Sevastian. Both of them have just sort of shown up - Tai was the daughter of the cat upstairs. Both were abandoned when the occupant was kicked out & the landlord asked me if I could take the kitten. Sev was ... accidental as well. A friend posted a pic of an orange tabby on Facebook looking for a home. I said I'd take him, even though we usually get two of the same generation so they have someone to play with. The friend said, "well, we have a black cat as well but I didn't think anyone would want one". As if! My Hallowe'en kitties...

Neither black cat was/is interested in the craft at all. But I always have one who hangs around when I do spells. This generation's is Mischa, one of two brothers who are almost all Russian Blue with just a hint of tabby. Kinda close to black...

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#27 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

Beautiful names MW, why and where did you name them those names?

#28 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:46 PM

LOL. Tai Tai ... I was reading a James Clavell book at the time (don't remember which one) and that was in it. Sev (and Yuri, Maks, and Mischa): for the last few generations we've been giving our cats Russian names. (That's another story.) Maks & Mischa (the brothers) I looked online for male Russian names. Mikhail popped up but we'd just lost a cat named Nick and that was too close so I picked the diminutive form (and now spend every vet visit explaining it's a male name to the techs - they've apparently never heard of Baryshnikov). Yuri is named for Yuri Gagarin, the cosmonaut, because he explored the entire car on the way home from Nashville (where the friend lives). Sevastian is from John Sebastian's "Nashville Cats", just the Russian variant. :)

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#29 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:01 AM

LOL. Tai Tai ... I was reading a James Clavell book at the time (don't remember which one) and that was in it. Sev (and Yuri, Maks, and Mischa): for the last few generations we've been giving our cats Russian names. (That's another story.) Maks & Mischa (the brothers) I looked online for male Russian names. Mikhail popped up but we'd just lost a cat named Nick and that was too close so I picked the diminutive form (and now spend every vet visit explaining it's a male name to the techs - they've apparently never heard of Baryshnikov). Yuri is named for Yuri Gagarin, the cosmonaut, because he explored the entire car on the way home from Nashville (where the friend lives). Sevastian is from John Sebastian's "Nashville Cats", just the Russian variant. :)

I love it when other people have patterns for naming their pets. I've always named mine after either gods or food. So far I've had an Apollo, Apple (horses), Loki, Odin, and Sushi (dogs). Anyone else have a pattern for naming their pets?

#30 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:47 AM

Funny you mention naming ... At the beginning of sept I took in a feral kitten (born under my back deck) and naming her has been a challenge. My usual method is to call out names in 3-4 voice variations and wait for them to respond to something. If her appetite were any indication she should be Smorgasbord.

#31 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:49 AM

If her appetite were any indication she should be Smorgasbord.

Sushi and Apple weren't random picks, is all I'm saying.

Edited by Duchess, 14 September 2017 - 02:50 AM.

#32 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

:D

#33 Greeny

Greeny

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:01 AM

I've got two! They were both strays and adopted before I started on the Craft Path. I've just always loved cats

#34 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:50 PM

I have to be honest I don't like cats, I love watching them, my dad has a cat that ventures into his garden and I love watching him hunting, it's like watching a mini lion. But cats have good memories and like revenge, I remember visiting a friend and he had to push the cat off the couch for me to sit down, that bloody cat gave me the evil eyes all the time I was there! When I went back there a few weeks later and sat in the same place, the bloody thing jumped on me from nowhere like a ninja and scrammed my neck. Sneaky bugger. He never got me again though, I think he was happy with his revenge attack!

#35 Guest_SorcererSupreme_*

Guest_SorcererSupreme_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:58 AM

I had one once, named Swasti, it meant Well/Good in Sanskrit.

My fucking Christian mom thought it was evil, and stole it from me and took it off and threw it out the car window a few roads down.

I had a protection spell on that cat, and if anyone ever fucked with her, a demon more thrashing than all of Hell would destroy the asshole who did.

Kind of worked, somebody saw my mom do it, reported it to the cops because the cat got ran over, and they were going to get her for animal cruelty, but my dad used to be a cop and so they cut her some slack.

Well, like the Christian cult boasts, you'll find out after you die. Well so shall she. Not anything permanent I hope though.

I now have a spoiled Orange cat named Noobis. Swasti was the most compassionate cat I ever had, showing motherly love to all cats, including abandoned kittens too, but really fucking stupid.

Noobis is kind of an asshole, smart, smarter than any cat I've ever had. She's actually potty trained and comes when I call her. I'm still trying to teach her how to fetch.

#36 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:05 AM

I don't care if it was my mother or not, that is grounds for the worst sort of curse. I would see to it she suffered torment eternal the hands of demons.

Edited by Solanaceae, 18 September 2017 - 06:52 AM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#37 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

I don't care if it was my mother or not, that is grounds for the worst sort of curse. I would see to it she suffered torment eternal the hands of demons.

I second this. Animal cruelty, especially to those that we domesticated to trust and be dependent on us, deserves that kind of curse.

#38 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

I have three tortoiseshells and a tabby. Only one shows any interest in the craft and with the greatest respect to her Cassandra is a bit simple. So simple that unless you actually pick her up and put her down at the food bowl she doesn't realise she has to eat and goes hungry. Interestingly she has some natural gifts and she does see things that none of the rest of us can.  She also has a fascination with our witch room and likes to sit on my altar. But I can't see her progressing very far on a craft path. Some cats really are just cats.

(Slightly envious of those of you who do own cats with craft potential).

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#39 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:34 AM

I have just one cat at the moment. Sam, a black and white. He 'walks in beauty like the night.' :)

I have talked about this in other threads, so I won't go into detail here but he is definitely a 'witches cat'.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#40 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

I'm not a cat person, but we do have one rescue cat. Not black, though. I'm really a dog person.