#1 Khundekling

Khundekling

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

Says it all in the title really lol

Just wondered how many here fit the stereotype Witch with a black cat?

Do you consider them a familiar or just a loving pet? What is it's/their name(s)

I've always been attracted to Black Cats, even before I considered my self a witch. But Cats have always liked me, most animals do come to think of it. I'm sure most of us have an affinity with animals.

Almost two years ago I got my first cat. Hiccup, he's a rescue with FIV. We have a very strong bond, he cries out if I leave him, to the disgust of my wife as he never does it when she leaves. Obviously because he loves me more hehe.

life is better with a biscuit

#2 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

I don't have one anymore just my two blue heelers but when I was a kid growing up I had a jet black cat and his name was Sam.

I would like to get another one but my girls ( my heelers) don't seem to care for the stray tomcat that comes and hangs out with me when I am working outside haha so not sure it would be a good idea.

For gods' sakes we've suffered, this pain is now our lives,

For gods sakes we've suffered enough. - C. Taylor & J. Root

#3 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

I worked many years at a cemetery office. A day before one Halloween, one of the maintenance crew nearly mowed over a kitten, so he brought it to me, knowing I had other cats. She is all black and is now 14 & sitting on my lap as I type. What with having been found in a cemetery at Halloween, and handed over to a witch, what else could I name her but Kizmet? She's free to be whatever she wants to be. She sleeps on my head, hogging the pillow at night even though she has her own. My cats are my family.

#4 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

Zombie, if ever a cat wanted to belong to a witch, your Kizmit is it!

Out of the giant pile of cats we had growing up we had two black ones: Jet and Saj (Klingon for pet). I'd love to have another cat, but my two giant black hellhounds wouldn't allow it, so they'll have to do. :P They're family, after all.

#5 Khundekling

Khundekling

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

I worked many years at a cemetery office. A day before one Halloween, one of the maintenance crew nearly mowed over a kitten, so he brought it to me, knowing I had other cats. She is all black and is now 14 & sitting on my lap as I type. What with having been found in a cemetery at Halloween, and handed over to a witch, what else could I name her but Kizmet? She's free to be whatever she wants to be. She sleeps on my head, hogging the pillow at night even though she has her own. My cats are my family.

Hahaha The sleeping on your head and pillow sounds Very familiar! Although with mine he sleeps on my chest and when I roll over he goes and sleeps on my wife's pillow. He will then proceed to kick her in the head if she dare take up too much of his space. I think he's trying to kick her out of our bromance  :lol:​ 

Sorry Zombee, I'm probably being incredibly dim here, but why Kizmet? Google isn't helping me understand the reference lol

Edited by Khundekling, 05 September 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#6 Holdasown

Holdasown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

We just adopted a black cat two weeks ago from the pound. I went in for a grey tiger but after and hour felt the one I picked was perfect. She has one ear so we call her Lady Booboo. I wanted Lady for lady gaga since he was born with the one ear. My hubby wanted Boo Boo kitty. Son who is autistic wanted Meow, lol. She isn't a familiar that I know of. She tried to eat my dream catcher, lol. 

#7 Khundekling

Khundekling

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:15 PM

She tried to eat my dream catcher, lol. 

Anything with string is fair game haha

#8 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

Sorry Zombee, I'm probably being incredibly dim here, but why Kizmet? Google isn't helping me understand the reference lol

I'm pretty sure it's a reference to kismet (whether the misspelling is intentional or not I don't know, but it would explain why googling the name didn't work for you :) )

ETA that's hilarious about your bromance :rofl:

Edited by IslandBruja, 05 September 2017 - 05:48 PM.

#9 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:58 PM

I have a black cat who came to us purely by chance, fate, what-have-you... I wrote about her story (with pics) here: http://www.tradition...ove-of-my-life/

She's hilarious and brings us so much joy every day. Thankfully, she loves both me and my boyfriend, albeit very differently: she snuggles me all day and usually sleeps up against me at night, but she lurrrves my BF and his pheromones... she literally starts making out with his sweaty clothes as soon as he gets home from sports and drops them on the floor (I mean literally: she rolls all around on them and licks them and rubs her face all over them for HOURS). It's hilarious - she even does it with his dirty socks, holding them in her front paws - and I keep saying we should record it. She even tries to lick his armpits sometimes! So yeah, she's our little weirdo, and we're a weird little family of three :vhappywitch:

#10 Deb13b

Deb13b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:30 PM

I have a big fat black cat called Pitch. Whilst he is a real cutie and a champion snuggler, alas he is not a familiar. I adopted him when he was a few months old, his previous owners couldn't handle a kitten and a new born baby at the same time.

#11 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:31 AM

I had an enormous Forest Cat who was mostly black, with some dark gray mixed in. I took him in when he was only 5 weeks old and he remained fiercely attached to me up until he died of old age. All cats have personality, but this guy had an eerily human quality about him. When friends would come over, he'd have to sit around us, but not trying to get pets or attention, but like he was part of the conversation. He'd sit there independently and look annoyed if anyone tried to touch him too much. When people would talk, he'd look at that person like he was contemplating what was being said. He often took interest in my activities around the house, but not in a mischievous and playful way. Every once in awhile I'd catch him off on his own, playing with a piece of fabric or something and when he'd notice me watching, he'd lose interest, fluff up his tail at me and walk away like he was embarrassed or something. He used to drop pennies and dimes he would find throughout the house when he wanted fresh water in his bowl. His way of waking me up was to stare directly into my face, quietly, and when I'd open my eye's he'd let out one whiney meow. Occasionally, I woke up to him petting my face.

I don't think I can have another cat after little guy. My husband's (orange, lol) cat is great but I don't think I'm going out of my way to adopt another one.

Edited by Madame, 06 September 2017 - 03:35 AM.

#12 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:39 AM

I have a black cat who came to us purely by chance, fate, what-have-you... I wrote about her story (with pics) here: http://www.tradition...ove-of-my-life/

She's hilarious and brings us so much joy every day. Thankfully, she loves both me and my boyfriend, albeit very differently: she snuggles me all day and usually sleeps up against me at night, but she lurrrves my BF and his pheromones... she literally starts making out with his sweaty clothes as soon as he gets home from sports and drops them on the floor (I mean literally: she rolls all around on them and licks them and rubs her face all over them for HOURS). It's hilarious - she even does it with his dirty socks, holding them in her front paws - and I keep saying we should record it. She even tries to lick his armpits sometimes! So yeah, she's our little weirdo, and we're a weird little family of three :vhappywitch:

LOL my husband's cat does that with shoes. All shoes. Any shoes. We were laughing this morning because she fell asleep with her face buried inside of one of his shoes  :D  When they first moved in with me, she practically lived in my shoe pile in my closet. Now she favors lone shoes that get left in the living room.

That cuddly blanket picture, awwww. What a sweetie!

Edited by Madame, 06 September 2017 - 03:41 AM.

#13 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:36 AM

My older girl, Tabitha, isn't pure black, but loves me (I had to be convinced to get a cat lol) and will sit on me when I'm meditating or doing craft work. She will often ask me for forehead to forehead contact (as opposed to face smooches that I also get) I feel like she's trying to talk to me but I may be a bit dim. Might be a witch's cat.

Our younger girl, Izzy, loves my fiance more and is a lovely, if dizzy ball of fur who throwing things off my altars and licks water droplets off our legs after a shower. Not a witch's cat :lol:

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#14 Khundekling

Khundekling

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

@IslandBruja, your cat is definitely a little weirdo hehe Although I am now intrigued by your BF's catnip like musk. Do other cats do the same? If so, bottle it and sell it  ;) 

@FrozenThunderbolt, if Tabitha gets extra frisky/increase in energy/unusual behaviour when you start doing spell work and not noticeably at other times then the chances are she is a familiar. Try and include her in some of your practice, see what happens. I have wondered if mine was, but when I have done something he's been asleep, so probably not lol

If you want to see my crazy little fur ball http://www.tradition...bum/231-hiccup/ 

#15 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

Kismet is a mid-eastern word for fate, and I just spelled it with a Z. The cemetery, Halloween, black cat, witch theme seemed like fate.

I had another black cat called Chanel. She was cat No. 5
She would stand beneath the cedar tree and jump straight up, higher than my head, to catch a branch on the way back down. ;)

My male tabby cat is Mr Piss Whiskers, as he's is full of piss and vinegar with a possessive attitude.

Edited by Zombee, 06 September 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#16 Khundekling

Khundekling

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

Kismet is a mid-eastern word for fate, and I just spelled it with a Z. The cemetery, Halloween, black cat, witch theme seemed like fate.

Ah ok, I was looking up cats called Kismet/Kizmet haha There's one in Disney's Aristocats, but she's a big white one.

I love your other cat's names and the reasons behind them :D Hiccup was going to be called Toothless, after the Dragon in How to Train your Dragon. But my wife struggled with the name (English isn't her first language), so she chose Toothless' rider, Hiccup, instead. Strangely though he has had to have almost all his teeth taken out, so it would have been quite fitting!

#17 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

My first black cat was called Ferrett.

My second was called Pyewacket.

They were both familiars and wonderful cats.

I have taken a pause from cats as I have a dog currently taking the role of familiar.

When I get another cat it will of course be black. I wouldn't have any other kind!

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#18 Khundekling

Khundekling

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:34 PM

My first black cat was called Ferrett.

My second was called Pyewacket.

Hahaha.. I'm loving these names!

#19 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:51 PM

I have a black dog, he is an old man now. Faithful, perfectly behaved, I treasure him as much as any cat. I haven't been into the familiars thing so don't know much about that. But as a pet, dog, loved one, he is part of our family. That is the most important thing to me

#20 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:20 AM

I have a black dog, he is an old man now. Faithful, perfectly behaved, I treasure him as much as any cat. I haven't been into the familiars thing so don't know much about that. But as a pet, dog, loved one, he is part of our family. That is the most important thing to me

No dogs allowed!!   :P