3 replies to this topic

#1 TheOn3LeftBehind

TheOn3LeftBehind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:04 AM

Hi all,

I have recently been diagnosed with sensory processing disorder. i experience sensory overload very quickly. I work in Chicago and it's miserable. My senses are VERY heightened, so it's not just being more sensitive to these things, and it makes me agitated. When our dog barks, for example, I have to cover my ears. I have to cover my ears in the city when I forget my headphones, but to be honest, I can hear things over my headphones. Music doesn't bother me, but everything else does. Strange, right? Well anyway, does anyone have any idea of how to approach trance work with these issues? I have been avoiding doing so because of the agitation and instant irritability with sensory processing issues. I was thinking about ordering a trance aid tincture from a store online, but I'm not sure if it would make it worse or calm me down so I can focus on trance work.

Thanks!

Woman, I saw you riding on a fence switch with loose hair and belt, in the troll skin, at the time when day and night are equal.” -Reference from C. E. Law of Vastgotaland

#2 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

I've a friend who is autistic - another form of sensory overload - who is having success with drumming, & dance with a gourd rattle. He has an interest in Therapeutic Touch healing. The energy transfers relieve his own distress as well. He says he trances almost every time. He started by first working with qui chi dong you tube videos to learn how to manipulate his own energy without trance.

#3 TheOn3LeftBehind

TheOn3LeftBehind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

I've a friend who is autistic - another form of sensory overload - who is having success with drumming, & dance with a gourd rattle. He has an interest in Therapeutic Touch healing. The energy transfers relieve his own distress as well. He says he trances almost every time. He started by first working with qui chi dong you tube videos to learn how to manipulate his own energy without trance.

Thank you for your reply! I will try it!

Edited by TheOn3LeftBehind, 22 August 2017 - 08:47 PM.

Woman, I saw you riding on a fence switch with loose hair and belt, in the troll skin, at the time when day and night are equal.” -Reference from C. E. Law of Vastgotaland

#4 BlackbirdSong

BlackbirdSong

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:49 AM

Just a thought, but would silence, darkness and rocking work well for you? I've found that very effective for going into trance alongside breath work. Also, one that is a bit less specific and can really be done anywhere could be to run hard on the spot and focus on a single spot. I concentrate and let the chatter of my mind come and go, focus on opening up to spirit. I usually take about 40 minutes (but it will differ for everyone). I either find I surpass the exhaustion and keep going, no longer feeling it, but seeing images and hearing some sound from the spirit I am communicating with, or I give into the exhaustion and go to the ground but still get the same results with images and sound. I found that quite good to do with nature spirits, sometimes I focus on giving my energy to nature whilst doing it and at some points, it has almost felt as if they 'caught me' or gave me soft landing as I came down (not fainting, but head spinning sensation). I've also walked and walked and walked allowing trance to take me that way, I've found dusk was a good time for me doing it that way. And doing specific breathing whilst watching light reflecting on water - this one I found a lovely one for connecting to water spirits, but could be replicated at home with a dish/bowl and a candle.  

I heard Alkistis Dimech (of Scarlet Imprint) describe the running on the spot in a recording of The Mirror of Sacrifice talk, and I was really pleased to hear about it as I think it sometimes gets passed over in favour of the drums that people often think of (not that drums don't work, they just aren't for everyone). I'd been using the running  since my teenage years, and have found it can be very effective for a certain type of trance. With trance aid tinctures, it really depends on what's in it. I wouldn't use much at all until you feel able to reach trance yourself, but people have differing views on that. I have found Mugwort tea to be helpful. I've found different techniques give different feels to trances and levels of trance for me, and so I'd tailor the herbs to your experience where possible. Though, a friend of mine found Skullcap helpful for SPD and perhaps that may help you relax more easily.