6 replies to this topic

#1 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:06 PM

So I am currently recovering from a badly sprained foot. I've been on crutches since Saturday but I am finally getting around better, albeit a little slower than usual. Anyway, I wanted to share my Mom's recipe for comfrey salve that we use for bumps, bruises, bug bites, burns, cuts, scrapes, sprains, strains, etc. It's absolutely magical stuff and I use it often.

Comfrey, a lot...at least an ounce or so.
Olive oil, enough to cover the comfrey
Beeswax, one tablespoon per cup of oil used

So you take your comfrey. Dried is best, and you put it in a slow cooker, if you have one, if not then use a pot on LOW on the stovetop. Add the oil to cover the herb and cook for about 3 hours. Mash/macerate the plant matter into the oil until it becomes dark green and aromatic of comfrey. Use a cheesecloth and a strainer to remove the solids and then you melt in the beeswax and mix thoroughly. Pour into whatever small jars you want to use. ..we use the little half-jelly jars and they work great. Let cool and there you have it. This stuff is fantastic. I hope someone can benefit!

One thing. ..I try to use a spoon or something to scoop it out instead of just fingers. I worry a little about bacterial contamination because it is a low acid concoction. I've thought about adding in an essential oil like tea tree or rosemary to give an antibacterial effect but haven't tried it yet.

True magic is neither bad nor good. It is both, because nature is both; loving and cruel all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch. Life keeps a balance on its own. - Lirio

#2 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

Thanks so much for that - this kind of stuff is right up my street :) I have a slow cooker and a pressure cooker so now I might experiment with both.

#3 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

Cool! This really is awesome stuff...even my kids ask for it for little bug bites and scrapes. I think it'd be good with plantain added in as well.
True magic is neither bad nor good. It is both, because nature is both; loving and cruel all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch. Life keeps a balance on its own. - Lirio

#4 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:31 PM

Do you mean the plantain that is little brown ears at the top of a grassy stalk? How would you prep the plantain?

#5 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:33 PM

(On a separate note, just looked at your profile and we have A LOT in common :) )

#6 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:10 PM

Okay so there's two varieties of plantain: broad-leafed and narrow-leafed but they have similar properties. I usually use the broad leafed one because it grows in greater abundance in my area. This article has a picture and an overview of medicinal benefits:

https://en.m.wikiped.../Plantago_major

Sorry, I'm on mobile and can't figure out how to hyperlink. Anyway, I use the leaves as a poultice when fresh or dry them and make an infused oil or salve. It's AWESOME for bee stings, burns, abrasions, etc. Like surface of the skin issues, whereas comfrey seems to work deeper into muscle, tendons, ligaments. So I thought they'd sort of complement each other in a mixture for salve. Like I said, haven't tried it yet but maybe I will next time!

#7 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:30 PM

Oh wow. I looked at your profile. We DO have a whole lot in common! My family actually comes from Ireland (a few generations back) and I have the freckles to prove it haha! I am happy to finally know someone else with an interest in shamanic practice . Have you by chance read my introduction post?

http://www.tradition...nd-an-about-me/

Anyway, it's lovely to meet you and I hope you have luck with the salve recipe! Message me anytime...I'm always happy to chat :)