• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

I've done a search and couldn't find anything, so please shut me down if this has been brought up before....

My wife and I have been looking after 3 children over the weekend (don't have any of my own yet, that's another post in the making), and I was wondering how those of you that have children, or experience with someone else's kids, approach the subject of witchcraft?

When/If I have my own children, obviously they will be raised with the knowledge of what a witch really is. But these children don't and I did my best not to go off on one and explain too much. 

I have books around which they were curious about and I put them out of sight in the end. I have a mother earth/goddess statue which they said was "an evil woman" and had to move it because they couldn't sleep. I have symbolic tattoos on my arms which they were asking a lot of questions, so I just answered with a light hearted approach. And they seemed happy enough with that. 

But now I'm curious as to how others discuss this with these inquisitive minds, because we look afters these kids quite a lot and there's bound to be more questions!  :unsure: 

life is better with a biscuit

#2 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:42 PM

If it's someone else's kids and I don't have permission, I just dissuade their questions. Statues are toys, tattoos are private, books are not for them.

RSKHFMY

#3 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

Thanks Ravenshaw. Seems like we deal with it in a similar way. When you say, and I don't have permission, does that mean you have discussed witchcraft with children? I'm assuming then the parents know your beliefs? I don't broadcast what I am, but for people in the know it's pretty obvious. 

#4 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

Are the parents who leave them with you aware of your practice? And if not, would they be upset if they found out?

#5 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

They don't know, very few do. The kids were singing a hymn the other day, so I'm guessing they are being brought up with Christian beliefs (I need the find out), but from my own experience they probably would be upset. Not having children of my own, being able to look after others, helps fill that void. So I certainly don't want anything to jeopardise that. Just have an image of an angry mob turning up with torches and pitchforks outside my door lol (Probably just watched Shrek too many times  :D )

#6 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

If you don't mind my asking, why are they comfortable leaving their kids with you on a regular basis if they're not familiar with your lifestyle? Is it just a babysitting service? If so, then yes, I'd be very careful and redirect any questions that might bring them closer to learning the truth...

#7 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

Yea my wife works for the family and also babysits. If the sitting is for more than just an evening then they come to ours. I'm a big kid myself really so they always have fun round ours. I am very private with my practice and only tell those I know well enough. But obviously I have things in my home, it's not much but they are on show. The parents haven't spent much time at ours so they wouldn't have seen it. The books are the biggest clue. So I will find a new place for them I think. 

#8 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Ravenshaw. Seems like we deal with it in a similar way. When you say, and I don't have permission, does that mean you have discussed witchcraft with children? I'm assuming then the parents know your beliefs? I don't broadcast what I am, but for people in the know it's pretty obvious.

I have watched kids from pagan parents and in that case they prefer it. If they don't explicitly tell me it's ok I don't ask and I don't do it. Watching the pagan kids was fun though, lots of nature walks, crafting, showing them how to do or make certain witchy things, etc

RSKHFMY

#9 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

That sounds like my perfect Autumn Sunday, followed by a roast dinner and pumpkin pie  :pumpkin_rolleyes: 

#10 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

I have 2 kids one is 14 and one 16 and they both know that I practice. I explain to them that every body practices the craft is one way or another whether they realise it or not. They understand every birthday someone has cake and candles and blows them out and make a wish. They now know that in its simplest form, that is candle magic.

I also used the example of the UFC fighter Connor McGreggor (this is someone who my boys love to watch) and how he used elements of the craft to get inside the head of Jose Aldo. I try and use everyday examples to show them that even though they started a long time ago... their effects are so strong that Everyone unknowingly uses elements of the craft even today.

I don't have many things lying around my house but I do have a brass pentacle on a stand on the living room window sill. Nobody has ever asked about it when visiting, I also used to have a crystal ball on a shelf but moved that after it almost got broken.

As for other peoples kids... there are topics that I wont discuss and stay away from. Those topics would be sex, religion, politics and drugs depending on the type of conversation. I don't see it as my place to educate other peoples children about such things.

I have been asked about a tattoo that I have on my own shoulder when I went away to Fuerteventura and my reply was it is a private personal message to me.

#11 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:11 AM

It's interesting...  an outsider's view of witchcraft...at first they're a bit alarmed but my experience is as they get to know me it they see the "up" side.

Practicing spells has a always been a family affair with my sister and I, (and her two girls as they were growing up). What fun we had!

They are teens and 20s now, and too busy...however they may return to it later.

Each of my brothers have a daughter who practices, both in their mid/late 20s ... they came to it later.... must run in the family :cauldron04:   :Witch-1:  

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#12 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

I would be careful with the children you are minding. They are probably a Christian family as you say they were singing hymns. That means they probably attend church regularly. 

So there is no witch-hunt quite like that carried out by Christians and I would be very careful to squash any questions of anything Witchy and downplay any items. As you did with the statue, putting things away when they come over will be a good strategy. Normally I would say be yourselves and don't care, but as your wife is employed by them I think a lot more caution is in order.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#13 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:55 AM

What Tana said, exactly.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#14 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

Thanks guys, yea I now have a "Witchy Cupboard" for everything to go in to. 

I know what you mean Tana about there is no witch-hunt quite like that carried out by Christians. I was raised Roman Catholic and I had a slight taste of it when I came out of my broom closet. I down played my new beliefs and they put it down to a teenage phase. Ever since then I've kept very private. I guess it has to remain so. 

#15 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

I grew up Evangelical in the Bible Belt. We were taught anything that smelled even slightly of witchcraft was evil. Wiccans had made pacts with demons and were under their manipulative control. The pastor believed that witches would put curses on our church and he used to walk around the property praying protection over the building.

They used to pray against the "spirit of fear" but ironically the only time i ever experienced such a thing was In the church.

I'd definitely be careful around the kids and parents. You might think you can explain your position to them and ease their fears, but there is no reasoning with irrational people. They won't hear a word you say after "witchcraft"

#16 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

They won't hear a word you say after "witchcraft"

That is a perfect way to express the issue!

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#17 Lyra

Lyra

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:14 AM

I'm so jealous! I wish I could find someone with similar beliefs to sit my kids!!!

Anyways, I tread a fine line, those who sit for me have a general knowledge of " I'm not a Christian". My kids don't understand fully what that implies yet, but I fully explain things to them to the best of my ability, and in a way that "fits" with what they teach in school. Does my daughter know I'm a witch? No, but I teach her that magic is real and magic happens everyday. School celebrates Christmas and she gets super excited about Santa. I told her that Santa is a spirit who loves when people are giving and generous. Living in a place where everyone goes to the same church and everyone is super serious about their shared faith, I have to watch what my kids repeat to people...

#18 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:36 AM

They used to pray against the "spirit of fear" but ironically the only time i ever experienced such a thing was In the church.

That is cute, because they were praying IN the spirit of fear.

#19 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:54 AM

Anyway, in the spirit of the thread, it doesnt come up with people who arent already in the know, which is basically everyone. People know that i have superstitious "quirks", and I leave it at that. I would never presume to "teach" kids things their parents wouldnt be open to. BUT there are ways to explain things without the witchy parts. Like when my friends kids asks about why I have certain things, i just tell them because its special to me. Which isnt a lie, but it also doesnt cross any lines. With my own child, i do NOT use the word witch, or witchcraft (little kids repeat e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g). But he has participated in certain things, like burying the placenta he came into the world with, when we finally lived in a place we could do that. We did a whole thing about it, it was sweet and nice. and he did talk about it. But because i was cautious with phrasing, it wasnt a thing. not really. I still was a bit uncomfy about his open sharing, but it didnt raise any flags with anyone else. And i would never want to squelch him. He also sees me do things like smoke cleansing, but that is standard enough even with non-witchy folk that its fine. When he gets older and has questions, I wont lie, but i wont give more info than he is ready for, either. Its tricky enough when its your own kid. I would never *not* be super cautious with another's child. My kid knows a lot more than others in regard to herbs and mushrooms, what is edible and what is not, what will kill you and what can be medicine. So there are things you can definitely assign to preparedness and survivalism, before you would to witchcraft. If you needed an acceptable "frame" to put it in.