• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:21 AM

I was hoping to chat about this topic 😊 A year or so ago, I bought the Pamela Colman Smith commemorative set. I found it to be very beautiful and absolutely loved it.

Being my first Rider Waite Smith deck, I really enjoyed the book included about the artist, Pixie. I read the book in one sitting. When I learned that the original deck was published in 1909 or 1910, I remembered that my beloved grandmother was born in 1910, and it gave me this fuzzy feeling I can't explain 😊

Anyway. I became heavily addicted to shuffling this deck and it just felt amazing. I continued on, using other decks and buying other decks I wanted.

The trouble was, every time I looked at my other decks I thought about using them, I felt guilty because I felt like I needed to be with this deck. I even felt strongly that looking at other decks or using them would 'neglect' this deck! I couldn't understand what was happening to my thinking.

Then, not long after, I was playing around with this deck, and I, for some reason decided to see if my four grandparents would talk to me through the cards. I started placing cards down however felt right, and had some fantastic conversations!

After a few times of doing this, I started to get a little 'trances' during these sessions. Eventually, I realised this was a deck my grandmother (the one born in 1910) wanted all to herself! So, once I realised that, it's as though this deck has become like a private phone line to her 😂

Since dedicating it solely to her, all the feelings of guilt I had about looking at other decks has completely gone! I can honestly say, it felt like the deck was jealous. And when I feel compelled to use it (the call is strong when it happens), I know she wants to talk to me, especially when she has an important message.

I was talking to a witchy friend of mine about. She prefers oracles. She was saying she wants to have one oracle deck dedicated to remember her sister by (she is dying of cancer). We both mentioned that when she visited, she was strongly attracted to one deck in particular of mine, and my friend felt compelled to get that deck as a way of venerating her sister.

Has anyone else had experiences like this, or even different? I'd love to get into a discussion about it 😊 I'm also considering if there are other decks in my collection that other ancestors would like to have dedicated to them. And, of course, I'm thinking about decks for my children to communicate with me with, one day, or anyone else who is that way inclined in my life.

#2 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:27 AM

I was hoping to chat about this topic A year or so ago, I bought the Pamela Colman Smith commemorative set. I found it to be very beautiful and absolutely loved it.

Being my first Rider Waite Smith deck, I really enjoyed the book included about the artist, Pixie. I read the book in one sitting. When I learned that the original deck was published in 1909 or 1910, I remembered that my beloved grandmother was born in 1910, and it gave me this fuzzy feeling I can't explain

Anyway. I became heavily addicted to shuffling this deck and it just felt amazing. I continued on, using other decks and buying other decks I wanted.

The trouble was, every time I looked at my other decks I thought about using them, I felt guilty because I felt like I needed to be with this deck. I even felt strongly that looking at other decks or using them would 'neglect' this deck! I couldn't understand what was happening to my thinking.

Then, not long after, I was playing around with this deck, and I, for some reason decided to see if my four grandparents would talk to me through the cards. I started placing cards down however felt right, and had some fantastic conversations!

After a few times of doing this, I started to get a little 'trances' during these sessions. Eventually, I realised this was a deck my grandmother (the one born in 1910) wanted all to herself! So, once I realised that, it's as though this deck has become like a private phone line to her

Since dedicating it solely to her, all the feelings of guilt I had about looking at other decks has completely gone! I can honestly say, it felt like the deck was jealous. And when I feel compelled to use it (the call is strong when it happens), I know she wants to talk to me, especially when she has an important message.

I was talking to a witchy friend of mine about. She prefers oracles. She was saying she wants to have one oracle deck dedicated to remember her sister by (she is dying of cancer). We both mentioned that when she visited, she was strongly attracted to one deck in particular of mine, and my friend felt compelled to get that deck as a way of venerating her sister.

Has anyone else had experiences like this, or even different? I'd love to get into a discussion about it I'm also considering if there are other decks in my collection that other ancestors would like to have dedicated to them. And, of course, I'm thinking about decks for my children to communicate with me with, one day, or anyone else who is that way inclined in my life.

This is great! I actually don't have any experience using cards for communication with ancestors. I am very interested to hear how that works! I use tarot a lot, but never to talk to the deceased. Can you give an example of what such a conversation is like? How do you interpret the cards as messages outside of divination?

#3 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:58 AM

It works similar to a normal reading but it's more interactive and free form. You can draw freely, or have them guide your hand over a pile. I like to use it in conjunction with a "yes" and "no" instrument until you've talked wth them enough.

RSKHFMY

#4 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:58 AM

Also it's important to feel when the reading sizzles out because there's no other way to really know.

RSKHFMY

#5 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:05 AM

It works similar to a normal reading but it's more interactive and free form. You can draw freely, or have them guide your hand over a pile. I like to use it in conjunction with a "yes" and "no" instrument until you've talked wth them enough.

I will give it a try! I usually use a pendulum for ancestor conversations, so that will help starting out :)

#6 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:19 AM

I don't often use tarot for spirit communication but when I do, I've found it's way more clear and obvious what the message is than with other uses of tarot. When I've used it with my ancestors, it's often quite literal--with pips but even moreso with a Majors-only deck. In fact, I exclusively use my Majors-only deck for spirit divination (although sometimes I use full decks for this purpose as well). It comes in handy if I'm not having a good day with trance work. I even met one of my guides through tarot--a specific card popped right out of the deck while I was trying to attempt this type of work for one of the first times. I picked it up and immediately had a sense of this being. 

I agree with freeform reading for this type of tarot. I have a spread meant for this type of work but I find one card draws to be far more effective than a structured spread. Watch for cards that seem to jump out at you (and not because of clumsy shuffling), and go with your gut. That's true for tarot in general I suppose, but I feel like the intuitive aspects of this use is even more heightened IMO. You're sort of merging with another energy.

Edited by Madame, 03 August 2017 - 04:20 AM.

#7 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:44 AM

I’ve never used my deck for communication with a specific spirit, I usually use my pendulum for that. But your post does resonant in that my decks have their own personalities. My main deck, the one I stole from my mother when I was twelve, is a very sarcastic deck, that loves to poke fun. This is the deck I use for almost all readings; it feels like a friend that gets restless if I don’t bring it out enough. My other deck is very serious and private, and I only use it for specific topics for myself, never for anyone else, and it can stay dormant for months.

I guess one of the reasons I don’t use tarot for spirit communication is because I’m already communicating with the deck’s spirit.

#8 citoyenne

citoyenne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:09 AM

I don't use my deck for spirit communication but my main deck does have spirit, lol. I use formal layouts with it but sometimes we just chat, it has it's own personality, it is as said above intuitive more than anything, its discourse is by cards that stand out, call out or just show up. I can definitely feel when it's "hung up the phone". I feel like a broken record when I say I don't like tarot because it doesn't give straight answers and is pretty standoffish with me; I use playing cards, this deck likes to joke but is pretty down to earth and easy going like a good friend. It's named itself, it's got a nickname for me.

We're tight bros :rofl:

I could see how it could be used for spirit communication if it were dedicated to someone specifically. I would hate to think of someone knowingly or not, getting a hold of my direct line to Nana though. I think my deck would be upset but would get over it; but if someone was rude to my gran then all bets would be off.

#9 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

This is great! I actually don't have any experience using cards for communication with ancestors. I am very interested to hear how that works! I use tarot a lot, but never to talk to the deceased. Can you give an example of what such a conversation is like? How do you interpret the cards as messages outside of divination?

I usually open the convo by asking if she feels like a chat. I recently ordered my first ever bottle of Kananga water, so when I'm not sick with the flu I'd like to try using that on my hands, to see if she likes it :) (It doesn't agree with my coughing and sniffling :D).

Then, I usually ask her if there's something she would like to say first, and we talk about that first. I basically mentally 'say' something to her, then I draw a card, and I place the cards usually in a line going downward, only because that's what has worked, I guess. It was harder when I first started, because I didn't understand all the cards. Now I can read better, it's easier. Also, she seems to use certain cards for  certain things. For example, when she's ready to stop the conversation, her way of doing that is usually to 'give' me the four of swords, as if to say, 'I'm tired now, I need a break'.

If I'm not sleeping properly, (which is most of the time), she'll throw the nine of swords at me, and the words, 'get some sleep! I'm worried sick about you!' come into my head :D I have one friend she really does not like: at the mention of her, 9/10 times, she will give me the 7 of swords, and I'll hear in my mind, 'she's a snake!' LOL. If I mention my two younger kids, she'll put out the 5 of wands; they argue a little bit, but it bothers her a LOT. But, when my brother and I were kids, we could have a short argument and get over it, but she was always extremely irritated by it! She wishes people would just make an effort to get along, and I tend to agree :P

She is nagging me about my brother a lot, lately. He is an alcoholic (late stage, I would say). Sometimes she will interrupt what I am talking about, telling me to stop him. She always shows the Chariot when I ask what the problem is, which I think is a warning that he will have a drink driving accident (he drink drives a lot) and I hear, 'he's going to kill someone!', usually with the five of cups card. She also warns about some form of harm to his wife and daughter. She WILL NOT tell me what to do about it, but tells me to do something about it! She even tells me how long I've got :D But if I've tried a spell for my brother, she'll tell me if I'm on the right track, and not say much more.

If I tell her I miss her, she throws the three of hearts at me every time. Recently when  I talked to her, I innocently asked her what death was like on the other side. She adamantly put out the devil card, and I felt she meant, 'don't get obsessed with those thoughts', and it was clear in no uncertain terms that she would not discuss it with me at that time. I thought it was extremely strange, because I wasn't obsessed at all. Then, a few days later, I was lying down, and this feeling of hopelessness came over me. It was overwhelming. In a matter of minutes, I was hit with strong suicidal feelings, no intention to act on them, and frightened that they came on, provoked by literally nothing! I'm happy in my life, with problems like anyone else, but not usually suicidal. I do think I'm in perimenopause, though. I did a quick google, and it turns out some women do get hit with those moods due to the hormones from time to time. A couple of hours later, I got my period, and all was fine. So, I'm pretty blown away that she saw that before I did!

Anyway, trying to focus better on your question: I read the cards as I've learned them, plus I might also go with any new interpretations that come along at the time. And often, her sayings come up, as if she's talking in my head. Oh, and although I mostly lay the cards out in a line as the convo progresses, sometimes if I have a direct question I need to ask, I will do a proper spread and just read that. Sometimes I have to do that, because otherwise she'll just keep telling me to sort my brother out! :D Then, after that, I will free-talk with her, about whatever she wants to say, and invariably, it is about my brother. I would also like to create some sort of ancestral spread too, one day.

I love the idea of guiding the hand over the pile! I am going to try that, thanks for the idea :) I've always wanted to try a pendulum, but have never really known what exactly I'd use it for. So, I could use it for this!

I don't often use tarot for spirit communication but when I do, I've found it's way more clear and obvious what the message is than with other uses of tarot. When I've used it with my ancestors, it's often quite literal--with pips but even moreso with a Majors-only deck. In fact, I exclusively use my Majors-only deck for spirit divination (although sometimes I use full decks for this purpose as well). It comes in handy if I'm not having a good day with trance work. I even met one of my guides through tarot--a specific card popped right out of the deck while I was trying to attempt this type of work for one of the first times. I picked it up and immediately had a sense of this being. 

I agree with freeform reading for this type of tarot. I have a spread meant for this type of work but I find one card draws to be far more effective than a structured spread. Watch for cards that seem to jump out at you (and not because of clumsy shuffling), and go with your gut. That's true for tarot in general I suppose, but I feel like the intuitive aspects of this use is even more heightened IMO. You're sort of merging with another energy.

It really does bring out your intuition and trance states, doesn't it? I find it's great if I'm not feeling connected with magic at the time, it seems to fire it all back up. I should really try it with spirit guides. I have an animal guide: the owl, but I don't really know what to do with him/her. I'm open to the idea of human form-type guides, but I don't understand a great deal about it just yet. Once I learn, I could imagine it would be a good way to connect. I also have toyed with the idea of doing this with deity, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I’ve never used my deck for communication with a specific spirit, I usually use my pendulum for that. But your post does resonant in that my decks have their own personalities. My main deck, the one I stole from my mother when I was twelve, is a very sarcastic deck, that loves to poke fun. This is the deck I use for almost all readings; it feels like a friend that gets restless if I don’t bring it out enough. My other deck is very serious and private, and I only use it for specific topics for myself, never for anyone else, and it can stay dormant for months.

I guess one of the reasons I don’t use tarot for spirit communication is because I’m already communicating with the deck’s spirit.

They certainly do have their own personalities!

I don't use my deck for spirit communication but my main deck does have spirit, lol. I use formal layouts with it but sometimes we just chat, it has it's own personality, it is as said above intuitive more than anything, its discourse is by cards that stand out, call out or just show up. I can definitely feel when it's "hung up the phone". I feel like a broken record when I say I don't like tarot because it doesn't give straight answers and is pretty standoffish with me; I use playing cards, this deck likes to joke but is pretty down to earth and easy going like a good friend. It's named itself, it's got a nickname for me.

We're tight bros :rofl:

I could see how it could be used for spirit communication if it were dedicated to someone specifically. I would hate to think of someone knowingly or not, getting a hold of my direct line to Nana though. I think my deck would be upset but would get over it; but if someone was rude to my gran then all bets would be off.

Maybe a protection could be done for the deck?

#10 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:20 PM

I only use one fairly neutral energy deck for this exact reason. If the deck is too feisty spirit communication is much harder.

RSKHFMY

#11 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of it, but it makes sense.

#12 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:41 PM

I only use one fairly neutral energy deck for this exact reason. If the deck is too feisty spirit communication is much harder.

That's interesting, I feel just the opposite. I love my sarcastic deck, and feel the personality makes it easier to understand.

#13 citoyenne

citoyenne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:58 AM

Duchess I think that she means that a neutral deck is better for communication with non-deck spirits, that a deck with a lot of sass would be harder to communicate through. They may put their own spin on whatever the non-deck spirit is trying to say.

That being said a deck with a personality is great if you've developed a relationship with it specifically, it does make it easier to understand for say divination.

#14 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:57 PM

Great topic. I've used my Marseille to chat with my ancestors a few times, but should probably do it more. The last time I went to New England, I took them with me to the cemetery to have a chat with my paternal grandparents about taking their grave dirt. I also brought the pendulum, but it wasn't very helpful. (I also don't suggest it if the guardian is unhappy with the idea--and trust me, you *will* know, but that's a different topic entirely) I was able to communicate with them very clearly with the Marseille. They also responded in my head. To be fair, I never knew them in life (they died before I was born), but it was nice to be able to say hello, and how I wished we'd gotten a chance to meet in life.

Edited by westofthemoon, 04 August 2017 - 04:58 PM.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#15 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

Great topic. I've used my Marseille to chat with my ancestors a few times, but should probably do it more. The last time I went to New England, I took them with me to the cemetery to have a chat with my paternal grandparents about taking their grave dirt. I also brought the pendulum, but it wasn't very helpful. (I also don't suggest it if the guardian is unhappy with the idea--and trust me, you *will* know, but that's a different topic entirely) I was able to communicate with them very clearly with the Marseille. They also responded in my head. To be fair, I never knew them in life (they died before I was born), but it was nice to be able to say hello, and how I wished we'd gotten a chance to meet in life.

I know what you mean. I have a grandfather who died when I was a baby, and it's pretty special when we can talk. We don't always, because it's hard to know what to talk about, for both of us! But mostly, he has a lot of remorse for how he was in the end, and that's mostly what we talk about. It's the same with my other grandmother, who died when I was still a child. I knew her, but not overly well.

#16 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

I love the idea of this because I love tarot but I'm wondering how to go about it. I don't feel like I want to open the door on any of my recent relatives but there is an ancestor a little bit back (my great grandfather) who has been in my head a bit recently. He's the only ancestor I've been drawn to even though I know next to nothing about him. I know his name and I have a medal he had but that's it. But the fact I'm being drawn that way is making me curious. There's also a fear though as I've never worked directly with a spirit in that way before.

Any ideas on how to begin? I was thinking of a very simple altar with the medal, some milk and whiskey (on the basis he was Irish so probably liked one or both of them!) and maybe a picture of the place he was from. Then a candle and just spend some time there.

I think my main concern is that something else will come through masquerading as him and I don't know enough about him to discern the difference.

#17 mudang

mudang

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:18 PM

I used to use tarot without issues for communication. Either that or waiting for them to visit in dreams and tell me what they need to say.

but after initiation, I primarily stick to colored flags and rice and i ching coins, the traditional methods.

Call me Mivi.

Korean Shaman-Priest (무당)

Schedule 신점 (divination), 기도 (prayerwork), 굿 (grand ceremonies)!

Fundraiser for Temple Room

"Money can move the gods."

#18 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:07 PM

I love the idea of this because I love tarot but I'm wondering how to go about it. I don't feel like I want to open the door on any of my recent relatives but there is an ancestor a little bit back (my great grandfather) who has been in my head a bit recently. He's the only ancestor I've been drawn to even though I know next to nothing about him. I know his name and I have a medal he had but that's it. But the fact I'm being drawn that way is making me curious. There's also a fear though as I've never worked directly with a spirit in that way before.

Any ideas on how to begin? I was thinking of a very simple altar with the medal, some milk and whiskey (on the basis he was Irish so probably liked one or both of them!) and maybe a picture of the place he was from. Then a candle and just spend some time there.

I think my main concern is that something else will come through masquerading as him and I don't know enough about him to discern the difference.

I haven't found this to be a problem, touch wood. I think having protections in place is helpful for that, though. I do general house protection (but admittedly, I could improve in this area), but if you're worried, you could figure out some sort of protection specifically for this moment. I find it helps to be specific about who you wish to speak to. I think, for me, anyway, that's another reason I'm moving toward dedicating certain decks to specific  people, but you certainly don't need to, if you feel it's over the top. I think the spirits get the very clear message that this is not their deck, and I find that doesn't hurt, at least. Especially, if you've charged the deck with your intention.

I like your idea for the altar! Is there any chance you might have a living relative who would know something useful about him?

I used to use tarot without issues for communication. Either that or waiting for them to visit in dreams and tell me what they need to say.

but after initiation, I primarily stick to colored flags and rice and i ching coins, the traditional methods.

I envy you on the dream side of things :) I'm not dreaming well, lately. I either don't dream, or I don't remember. It's something I'm hoping time will fix.

Your traditional methods sound fascinating :) What happens when you do those? Do the spirits come to you during trance, or something like that?

#19 mudang

mudang

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

Yes basically. Or my own gods will speak through those to tell me about other's spirits.

Call me Mivi.

Korean Shaman-Priest (무당)

Schedule 신점 (divination), 기도 (prayerwork), 굿 (grand ceremonies)!

Fundraiser for Temple Room

"Money can move the gods."

#20 Valmerriss

Valmerriss

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:16 PM

I have been wondering about communicating with my ancestors for months.  All of the family members that I know had magical tendencies passed away when I was very young.  (My dad has them but doesn't acknowledge them and he's in Florida...lol)  I hadn't thought of using the Tarot till now.  

However...

I had a friend almost 15 years ago who introduced me to the Tarot.  Her life exploded and I was tasked with cleaning out her apartment, including her journals, cards and other magically related possessions.  Sadly, one of those possessions was a box with her baby's ashes in it.  I had been with her in the hospital when she had delivered him, and for several weeks after that while she struggled with his loss. 

I found out she had lied and hurt me in ways that our relationship could not survive (additionally, it turned out she had a violent streak and had hurt someone we both knew) but still felt she needed his ashes back.  I drove around with them in my car for months in case I happened to cross paths with her.  Once day I saw her and pulled over, gave her a crate with the box of ashes and several of her other belongings, climbed back in my car and drove away.  We didn't even speak.  

Sometime later I came across a few remaining journals and her deck of cards.  I know I burned the journals (throwing them away didn't seem like an option and I knew I would not see her again) and I vaguely remember doing the same with the cards.  Her energy on them was palpable.  I didn't want to keep them.  

I liked the deck so I bought another one just like it but life went on and they got put away.  Every few years the cards would "call" to me and I'd dig them out and get reacquainted, only to put them away again.  They never saw any regular use.

A few months ago the call came again and out they came.  I don't know how to explain it but they feel like her cards, like the deck I got rid of.  They're in the bag I bought for the new deck I bought, and the newer deck I know I bought is no where to be found.  They look, feel and are worn in the same ways her deck was.  It's a little eerie.  The only thing I can think of is that I have just broken them in more than I realized, but I can't shake her when I see or touch them.  

Last week my fiance and I spent the day exploring southern Vermont and found ourselves in a bookstore that carried cards.  He got me 2 new decks with the thought that I could move past the weirdness with the other one.  But when I came home, the new decks felt like wax covered playing cards and nothing more.  I physically missed the old deck and before I knew it , I found them in my hands.  I was overcome by such a strong sens of relief, like finding a friend after they had been lost or in danger.  Once I acknowledged that I couldn't give up the old deck, I seemed to warm to the new ones, but find the old ones in my hands everyday with a commitment to them that I've never had.  I have since come to realize that one of the new decks isn't going to work for me and the second smaller deck feels like a "hey I'll just throw these in my backpack in case of an emergency" kind of deck.  This all sounds silly to write it out like this, but let me tell you, it was a very real, very intense thing.  It still is.  I know exactly what you mean by it feels like its "jealous."  I barely learned to use them so I'm not at all sure what's going on. 

Every once in a while, over the course of my life, objects have spoken to me.  I once picked up my Dad's friend's hammer after he committed suicide and heard the answer to a question we had as clearly as if he was standing right next to me, so I am not shocked that I would feel something from a physical object.  I just don't get what's going on with this deck of cards.  Any ideas?  

~Valmerriss

Edited by Valmerriss, 20 October 2017 - 11:19 PM.