• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:22 AM

I found a few threads that mentioned this topic, but not one dedicated to this specific theme.

I am curious if any of you adorn your body in any certain way for your workings?

I am genderqueer, so I cross dress in an androgynous manner many days, but always for my bigger workings. It helps me feel completely like myself, and that provides confidence and the power that comes from that. I wear eyeliner for protection from the "evil eye" and occasionally other light eye makeup. I shave my legs often, and wear tights and skirts, with masculine shirts and more "gender neutral" shoes. This also corresponds to my pantheon in my tradition, as the handful of "deities" I work with show themselves to humans as either gender. However, with some beings or forces I work completely nude, as they find it rude for humans to hide the natural form. I also have ritual jewelry that serves several purposes. My wedding band is silver, made in my ancestors' homeland, with an image of my "patron deity." I wear three lip rings to remind myself of the connection of the inner and outer planes (three is a powerful recurrent number in my practice). I have a parachord bracelet to remind me of the strength and discipline I learned in the Army, and to apply that to my practice. I have a few pendants that I swap out for different reasons.

Anyways, enough about me. I would like to how others adorn their bodies for craft workings! Do you wear special clothing? Practice nude? Have any ritual jewelry? If so, what parts do you do daily? What about big workings? If you don't have any practice regarding what you do/don't wear, what are your thoughts on the topic? Stoked to hear what I am sure is a diverse range of practices!

**edit for spelling error**

Edited by witchpriest, 03 August 2017 - 12:24 AM.

#2 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:44 AM

I'm still new to it all, so I haven't developed a lot of things in that way just yet 😊

I was wearing a mala all the time except for bathing and bed (in which case I would put it under my pillow). It was part of my fledgling yoga practice and I meditated with it, imbuing the beads with my intention. It broke, so I'm waiting until I can make another one. Even though it's more of a yoga thing, it became a part of my learning about energy and intentions for the more witchy parts of my life.

I only get nude for bath rituals at this point. I wouldn't rule it out for a private, indoor ritual, if the situation called for it, but it hasn't yet.

Sometimes I'll dab myself with Florida water, and if I feel called to do so, I've occasionally put a crystal or leaves or flowers in my pocket to have with me, but I haven't done it for a little while.

I really want to knit myself one or more shawls with different intentions knitted in, such as one for working spells in, one for protection, one for healing, that sort of thing.

I will follow this thread with interest 😊

#3 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:58 AM

I'm still new to it all, so I haven't developed a lot of things in that way just yet

I was wearing a mala all the time except for bathing and bed (in which case I would put it under my pillow). It was part of my fledgling yoga practice and I meditated with it, imbuing the beads with my intention. It broke, so I'm waiting until I can make another one. Even though it's more of a yoga thing, it became a part of my learning about energy and intentions for the more witchy parts of my life.

I only get nude for bath rituals at this point. I wouldn't rule it out for a private, indoor ritual, if the situation called for it, but it hasn't yet.

Sometimes I'll dab myself with Florida water, and if I feel called to do so, I've occasionally put a crystal or leaves or flowers in my pocket to have with me, but I haven't done it for a little while.

I really want to knit myself one or more shawls with different intentions knitted in, such as one for working spells in, one for protection, one for healing, that sort of thing.

I will follow this thread with interest

That is actually cool you use a mala! I have meditation beads I made, and my partner has a mala that she wears everywhere but the shower. Always a great tool! Haha I think I will have to steal the shawl idea for my partner. She is always knitting and crocheting, and she loves shawls. Brilliant idea :)

#4 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:43 AM

I wear certain jewelry for certain things but they serve as amulets. . Clothing wise I don't generally do much unless I'm going in my birthday suit which I do as a show of vulnerability and trust in certain situations.

RSKHFMY

#5 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:08 AM

I wear certain jewelry for certain things but they serve as amulets. . Clothing wise I don't generally do much unless I'm going in my birthday suit which I do as a show of vulnerability and trust in certain situations.

I use nudity in the same manner, glad I am not the only one that approaches some spirits that way for the purpose of a good faith and trust in the relationship.

#6 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:05 AM

I have one ritual outfit for certain workings, somethign I made and beaded. Other than that I mostly have jewelry for certain things: my wedding ring is silver and turquoise, I have a silver and jade pendent my mother gave me, made by a local jeweler specifically for her, and a moonstone and silver spider pendent wrapped with spider silk from my old friend George. Jewelry is my favorite since I can take it anywhere for certain things, and no one will think twice.

#7 citoyenne

citoyenne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:42 AM

I have made a lot of talismans over the years that I may wear in a given circumstance or if I feel the need. I do a lot of workings nude, but simply because I prefer to be anyway. I work with a being who expects me to take a certain level of pride in my appearance every day, my every day clothes are a ritual and I dress to please her, but she requires that I perform her rites nude (incidentally I don't shave, legs, pits or otherwise, she sulks when I do plus I'm to the point I'd miss the feeling of the wind in my grasses ;) )

I am in the planning stages for a new embroidered and beaded veil for use in divination and necromancy/communing with various spirits. I feel it's time for an upgrade.

#8 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

Just an amulet which I always wear, otherwise nothing special. The only time I've ever dressed-up as a solitaire was for my dedication, 30 years ago, in a tunic.

#9 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:39 AM

I'm nude pretty much all the time (I'm a hermit and rarely go anywhere :vhappywitch:) so that doesn't change much when I'm doing a working. But I wear an amulet pretty much all the time except showering.

I really wish we had a high wall around our yard (we have no fence at all) so I could do workings outside, but I have yet to do any in the open air unfortunately due to lack of privacy (nude or not) - the wet, mosquito-infested jungle isn't exactly conducive and everywhere else accessible is too public...

Edited by IslandBruja, 04 August 2017 - 08:33 AM.

#10 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:10 PM

For jewelry, I only wear a hag stone and I have rings that don't come off easily, so I never take them off. I prefer to work outside, but generally never in the nude (let's just say mosquitos and leave it at that!).
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#11 citoyenne

citoyenne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:39 AM

Having had mosquito bites in innumerable places, best left to the imagination, I don't do nude workings outdoors either; but if I'm safely covered in water as in skinny dipping... it's fair game ;)

I can't imagine either Hawaiian mosquitoes, or Alaskan ones being terribly pleasant (I know the monsterous size of the Alaskan ones, my grandfather from Kenai always joked that 4, one for each limb, could carry a person away, it seems likely enough :rofl:)

#12 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

I have a piece of jewellery I wear almost all the time, lately even in bed.

Also a black silk dress I bought years ago and never wore. I wore it one night for a (rare) formal outdoor working. I do a lot of work at the beach so am more likely to be barefoot in shorts than anything else. The black silk - or the nudity - might stand out a bit there  :D

Tricycle I LOVE your idea of 'shawls of intent' - I'm totally going to do that! I've also been thinking about a jewellery making course so I can make some really powerful, intentional jewellery. Quite keen to make a shamanic staff too as I've found some great branches, one from a forest special to me and one a slim but strong branch that came in with the tide. I was thinking of binding them together in some way. I have this idea of binding them together with red yarn, beaded with shells and feathers. Need to give it more thought.

#13 Deawic

Deawic

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:51 AM

other then a few necklaces or gris gris bags I cant say I do any ritual dressing, though I do have a very special horse blanket I use often,

#14 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:03 AM

Shawls of intent 😊 It has a nice ring to it

#15 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:41 AM

though I do have a very special horse blanket I use often,

that just made me immediately think of this movie and smile  :lol:

Sorry - I just had to post it...  :rofl:  although it's not the right part of the movie, it's an iconic scene and there's no clip/gif of the appropriate scene that immediately popped in my head: "Thanks, I needed a horse blanket.")

(Also, because I'm a nerd, the "words" are not the common misconception that are in the video title (directly referencing "The Day the Earth Stood Still"), but in this movie it's actually Clatoo Verata Nicto)

Edited by IslandBruja, 11 August 2017 - 03:42 AM.

#16 Khundekling

Khundekling

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:00 AM

I used to put on certain jewellery, rings & pendants when doing any sort of ritual or crafting and others for day to day. Since getting married I've only had my wedding ring; I was starting to look like Jack Sparrow before with all the pieces I had on lol. Recently though I have been wearing a beechwood pentacle (for those that have read my wood post will know why) which I keep on pretty much all the time.

Clothing-wise, I don't do nude (anymore - had a misfortunate singeing incident from a candle. You don't need any more details!). I do like to wear clothing with a hood. I like to feel cocooned while I prepare myself for ritual/craft and charging and then whip the hood off when I'm ready.

life is better with a biscuit

#17 Yex

Yex

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

Every day, I wear one of two fetish necklaces that are charged with Crow's spirit. The one I prefer to wear is just a crow's foot tied into a necklace with a piece of grey yarn (it's actually getting pretty raggedy, I should probably re-string it). The other one is one that I made before I found the dead crow whose feet I harvested, and it's basically the same, but instead of a crow foot it's a plastic shrinky dink in the shape of a crow (lol) that was originally colored black, though the coloring has since faded, so it's just kind of clear plastic now. I prefer to wear the crow foot, but it freaks out my wife and daughter, so I wear the other one when I'm around them.

I wear a wedding ring daily as well, which was charged with a visionary psychedelic substance's energy a while before my wedding (long story). 

I have a blue and silver cloak that I was wearing to public Druid rituals for a while, but the button came off, and I haven't fixed it yet. I also had a piece of red tiger iron wrapped in wire and made into a necklace which I wore in connection with another Druidic group, but the wire came undone, and I sent it to someone in Portland who was going to fix it, and sadly it was lost in the mail. 

As others have said, I'm sometimes naked for more involved rituals, or rituals with certain spirits (in my own home). 

Sometimes I'll wear t-shirts with certain images on them for magical purposes. 

I also wear a variety of perfumes for magical purposes; common ones are florida water, lavender essential oil, palo santo cologne, rose cologne or essential oil, et al. I like to do purification and centering work when I apply these, and tend to use a lot of them, especially on my heart chakra, my hair, and my beard, with crosses of them made on my forehead and wrists, and sometimes elsewhere.  I also use the commercial perfume Opium Pour Homme to work with a specific ancestor spirit, usually just spritzed on my wrists. 

Lately I've been carrying a stone I found in a lake on me as an amulet to keep one foot in the spirit world in day-to-day life. At various other times in my life I've carried various other stones and crystals around in day to day life. I usually just put these in my pocket as I go about my day. 

I smoke cigarettes heavily, and I feel very aware when I'm carrying around a pack in my pocket that I'm bearing a sacred plant medicine. I also sometimes carry specific lighters in a semi-magical way (different colors for correspondences, etc). 

I also wear my hair and beard long, but that's something for another thread, I suppose. 

#18 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

I don't wear any specific clothing, although I have thought about getting a cloak for outside work and just wearing that. I used to wear a pentacle necklace but I gave that to my wife as protection after she was diagnosed with some medical issues which fortunately have now gone. I do have a tattoo on my right shoulder which I designed and contains many symbols that are important to me such as the elements, some star signs, some runic symbols etc. I usually pick up things when I am out and about if I feel a different energy coming from an item then I will take it home and use it depending on the ritual I perform.

#19 Lauvitra

Lauvitra

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

I don't wear anything special for my craft workings. It's either whatever I happen to be wearing at the moment, or whatever is necessary for the time and place I'll be working at (inside, outside, warm or cold, things like that).

The only "special" piece of clothing that's related to my craft practice, is a piece of headwear; kind of a hooded hat-thingy, a bit like a medieval chaperone, or a houve hat, or something. Whatever it is. :P  Whenever I'm teaching myself a new spell, I wear that hat - or sometimes, just a scarf over my head. I like how it cuts away distractions around me when I'm trying to learn spells. Keeps my head concentrated, so to speak. I always seem to remember my spells easier that way.

Also, since it covers both my head and my neck, it's useful for keeping mosquitoes away if it's summer and I happen to be outside. I don't care much if the little buggers get to my hands, but it's a mouthful of curses on them if they get anywhere near my ears. Any spell-learning turns into a full mosquito hunt in an instant when that happens.

"We pledge ourselves to you, the Frame-Maker, the Scarab:

a world for us to love you in, a cloak of dirt to cherish."