• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

Thanks, Tana, for clearing that up. I think it's great that we do things that way here. It's like topics and ideas seem to 'bubble up' to the top when the time is just right :)

Exactly!   ;)

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#22 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:58 PM

yes, I definitely love that thread resurrection is encouraged on TW -- it keeps a lot of info consolidated so you don't have to wade through countless threads about the same exact topic with various levels of discourse and repetition just to find some nuggets...

#23 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:03 PM

Something to bear in mind is that we can join topics/threads together. So if you were, for example, researching niding poles and came up with two threads both with interesting info, then we could join them together.

If you come across any threads that could be linked in this way, PM a Mod and we can sort this out.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#24 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

niding poles Tana? :huh:

How many people immediately went and poked that into the search bar without an answer . . . just me? Ok :lol: 

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#25 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

Ok, for the curious mind that must know:

Niding poles/nithing poles/nidstang are germanic runic cursing poles  (in the context I found for them at least)

Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#26 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

I'm inclined to mention most people prob know what a niding pole is

RSKHFMY

#27 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

I'm inclined to mention most people prob know what a niding pole is

I didn't, but I do now. ;)

How I missed this term given I've used runes for years I'm not sure - It was not in Pennick's book (on which I've based most of my work).

Suggestions as to another author I should be reading please Ravenshaw? ^_^

#28 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:59 PM

Yeah you're barking up the wrong tree for that.

RSKHFMY

#29 Faolana

Faolana

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:23 AM

I don't know if this in line with this discussion but I've also seen some "new" members go through new and old threads and make a quick comment so they can accumulate enough posts to gain access to the private forums.

While I don't begrudge them that access, and maybe I am the only one, it makes me less inclined to engage when I'm trying to truly only post when I have a question or something to contribute and have been a member for a few years and don't have access to something it only takes some new members a few months to access. I even tried to communicate with a mod about it and never received a reply.

Should I go through all the old threads and bump them so I can get my post count up and then be allowed to interact on a deeper level with others on this forum? I'm honestly asking because TW doesn't work like other forums culturally so maybe I've misunderstood.

#30 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:41 AM

While post count certainly plays a role in getting access to green section, other things are considered as well including how well they play in the community, how long they've been on the boards, character, etc. Also when considering prospective green members, all the moderators and admin have the option to weigh in on whether they agree or disagree. The promotion to green member isn't made until many eyes have considered each person and usually the votes for potential green members are cast a least a few weeks before any decision is made. While your concerns certainly come from a valid place, rest assured getting green isn't determined by post count alone (however it helps). I believe I know the member you are talking about and if it is who I think it is, I personally encouraged them to increase their post count because I had met them in person and could vouch that they would make a valuable green member but due to bad internet connection they weren't incredibly active. Droghon and other moderators reviewed it and agreed.

This is not the first time this has been brought up. If there are any more concerns about this matter, feel free to move this to PM to me or another moderator.

RSKHFMY

#31 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:49 AM

As for bumping threads, please do! Having a higher post count will definitely help getting green. It's about how well we know you so yes, the more you post and contribute to the community, the more likely you are to get green. If you're sore about not getting it this round, stick around and keep posting - we do them more than once in a lifetime, you know ;)

Bump away!

RSKHFMY

#32 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:28 AM

Faolana, may I please make a suggestion, and please don't take offence. Fuck membership, yes I know I have membership and I have access to loads of stuff which is great. But I never expected it and didn't really give a shit about it. I know Ravenshaw says you have to be accepted by the crowd etc... but to be honest, I have never felt accepted by a crowd or given a shit if I was or wasn't, ravenshaw is an awesome mod, but I can honestly say that's there is no formula to being accepted as a member, and if there is then I haven't worked it out. I would say, just do what you do. If you have a love for the craft then stick on and keep going, your membership will come, but just learn from everything you can. If you love it enough and keep learning I think that's enough. Fuck time limits, fuck posts, try and teach people what you know and learn from people what you don't. Isn't that more valuable? Eeek sorry you won't like this post, but I have had two bottles of wine. I love you to bits but while I have logged on I have seen a lot of shit about membership. TW is a tool not the only end result, great people here but the most important person in your journey is you xx

#33 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:36 AM

Sorry if that pisses you off mods (see?? I am very outspoken!!) please feel free to slap my wrists, or ass if you are a little more daring :0)

#34 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:30 AM

Sorry if that pisses you off mods (see?? I am very outspoken!!) please feel free to slap my wrists, or ass if you are a little more daring :0)

Haha Llyr I love you. I didn't know you were into that! You should drink and post more often! Perhaps I should try that too.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#35 Nim

Nim

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:42 AM

Haha Llyr I love you. I didn't know you were into that! You should drink and post more often! Perhaps I should try that too.

LOL! I was thinking the same.  :rofl:

#36 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:22 AM

What Llyr said. There is no magic formula, stick around and you'll get it in time.

On that note, let's stop derailing a thread and get back on topic. Good to see some sparks flying though, it's good for the forum.

RSKHFMY

#37 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

I think that a lot stems from the fact that many people are not sure of the difference between what has been lumped as "traditional witchcraft" and other forms of the craft including new age and modern Wiccan (neither of which I have a problem with, they're just not what I personally do). I believe one can practice tw fully without ever personally casting a spell. Gemma Gary best summed it up for me by saying "traditional witchcraft... is born from the very landscape in which it is practiced." Landscape being the key word. It is a craft that is born from a relationship with the land one frequents, a deep and personal relationship with the spirits and energies of nature. It is solely, I believe, based on those relationships, which is what allows the witch to bend energy. And my nature energies will be different where I live than they will be 4 hours drive in any direction... so no book could ever fully explain it unless written by my neighbor, lol. And belladonna I will never have a true relationship with unless I move where it grows. So it's the plants, rocks, streams, and energy of one's personal location. For me, spellcasting that uses a lipstick, two screws and a pair scissors has no soul.... a traditional spell would use the knowledge and the relationships of the natural world upon which he walks. And that to me is also the difference between wishing and spelling... my will alone won't cut it if I have no relationship with the energies involved. My very yard was just changed by a hurricane. The tree that caught the shed that was blown into my window... that tree saved my house. I'd is a young tree but the wood has learned not only how to survive but also how to protect. If agreed, the wood from that tree wood will be first choice to be used for protective talismans - especially against storms, even though there may be other types of trees the books say should be used for protection.

#38 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

Haha thanks Sol ;0)

#39 Faolana

Faolana

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:44 PM

I appreciate the feedback.