• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

Scent is an incredibly powerful thing. It covers large areas, can push things away and draw things in, change brain chemistry, invoke memories, and so much more. The scent of death in particular is one I have worked with before. It has excellent warding powers for certain beings, like people, but can attract things that can spread workings (think like flies) or propagate change (selectively chooses change of course). It's excellent for embodying the death of something undesirable. You can then use is energy to feed other things that need growth and opportunity, or dissolving them away freely.

Any other thoughts on working with this?

RSKHFMY

#2 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:06 PM

Feeding the cycle is exactly what came to my thoughts, both in the physical and the ethers. Linking to & riding the flow of the decay/ transformation threads in meditation could reveal much. The dead goals and disappointments transform into new directions for growth.

#3 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:20 PM

Scent is an incredibly powerful thing. It covers large areas, can push things away and draw things in, change brain chemistry, invoke memories, and so much more. The scent of death in particular is one I have worked with before. It has excellent warding powers for certain beings, like people, but can attract things that can spread workings (think like flies) or propagate change (selectively chooses change of course). It's excellent for embodying the death of something undesirable. You can then use is energy to feed other things that need growth and opportunity, or dissolving them away freely.

I think this could be the most potent scents to work with of all of them. Anyone who has smelled "death," human death in particular, describes it as a highly unique and impossible to forget sensation. My husband interviewed for a job in the funeral industry recently and the overwhelming scent of death in the office where he'd be working caused him to immediately decide against taking the job. He's no stranger to the scent of animal death, having been raised by people who work in slaughterhouses in a rural area, but human death created such a visceral internal response for him that immediately kicked his fight or flight response. He's been affected for the last few days by it. It's no coincidence that the scent of death creates such a powerful link for obvious reasons, but the power of it, if you can hold focus with it, could absolutely be a useful vehicle for a working. However, it could be very tricky to work with simply for the sheer power of it alone. 

As an aside, the topic of the scent of death (how weirdly specific, lol) has become a point of synchronicity for me lately, ever since a specific working I did last week. Quite the harbinger.

Edited by Madame, 31 July 2017 - 03:21 PM.

#4 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:13 AM

I think this could be the most potent scents to work with of all of them. Anyone who has smelled "death," human death in particular, describes it as a highly unique and impossible to forget sensation. My husband interviewed for a job in the funeral industry recently and the overwhelming scent of death in the office where he'd be working caused him to immediately decide against taking the job. He's no stranger to the scent of animal death, having been raised by people who work in slaughterhouses in a rural area, but human death created such a visceral internal response for him that immediately kicked his fight or flight response. He's been affected for the last few days by it. It's no coincidence that the scent of death creates such a powerful link for obvious reasons, but the power of it, if you can hold focus with it, could absolutely be a useful vehicle for a working. However, it could be very tricky to work with simply for the sheer power of it alone. 

As an aside, the topic of the scent of death (how weirdly specific, lol) has become a point of synchronicity for me lately, ever since a specific working I did last week. Quite the harbinger.

This is an interesting distinction, Madame.

I've never smelled human death -- in fact, I've never seen a dead human body, nor been to a human funeral come to think of it...  :geek:

#5 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:52 PM

The scent of human death haunts almost every night I sleep, but that is another issue. I doubt I would be using human remains other than bones so that wouldn't be an issue. As for uses I am definitely going to think about that and get back to you! Just curious, how would you contain the scent for workings. Small animal parts in a jar? Or...? I know you want uses, but I am definitely curious as to method so I can try this myself :)

#6 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:54 AM

The scent of human death haunts almost every night I sleep, but that is another issue. I doubt I would be using human remains other than bones so that wouldn't be an issue. As for uses I am definitely going to think about that and get back to you! Just curious, how would you contain the scent for workings. Small animal parts in a jar? Or...? I know you want uses, but I am definitely curious as to method so I can try this myself :)

With such a distinct and impacting scent, I imagine it would be pretty simple to conjure it by memory alone, if one is familiar with it. I'm intrigued to see the answer to this question regardless!

#7 citoyenne

citoyenne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:19 AM

I can't speak to the smell of human dead but I can to the touch, it's surprisingly solid and firm (more so than in life) and room temperaturish, which causes the mind to do a double take. It's not unusual in my family to touch the hands of the dead at funerals. I think that if I were trying to invoke the essence of death in a working, that a hefty slab of well rounded marble with a kind of matte texture would do it. It'd bring me right there but in a way that would be a contact with the other side as opposed to the feeding and dissolution aspects.

However the smell of animal death, not to mention animal decay I am well aware of. I do make use of insects as gatherers or carriers in various spells and the smell of tasty rot certainly is a motivator for some. I never gave it much thought but dead matter would be useful in rituals to cut away infected/tainted parts of ourselves or our lives,

I also think of the smell of death as a protective mask, scavengers come to the smell of the dead, predators pass for something fresher. Scavengers being bringers and takers, knowers of secrets and transformers from death to new life; a stinky safe haven for growth. Flipside, wrap a working in the smell of death if you're trying to deliver it to a person who is more focused on attack than diligent observation.

#8 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

However the smell of animal death, not to mention animal decay I am well aware of. I do make use of insects as gatherers or carriers in various spells and the smell of tasty rot certainly is a motivator for some. I never gave it much thought but dead matter would be useful in rituals to cut away infected/tainted parts of ourselves or our lives,

I also think of the smell of death as a protective mask, scavengers come to the smell of the dead, predators pass for something fresher. Scavengers being bringers and takers, knowers of secrets and transformers from death to new life; a stinky safe haven for growth.

I love the idea of using the scent of death as a mask. Your ideas on it make perfect sense to me. I will be trying this!

#9 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:17 PM

It is a very selective protection. It attracts as much as it protects but it is important to see that it attracts AS it protects. Some things love death, and that can pose its own problems.

RSKHFMY

#10 citoyenne

citoyenne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:51 AM

You're right Ravenshaw, it does draw things in. I can think of a few potential big nasties, but for the most part scavengers won't take life just dead matter; it's like playing dead but not being dead. It wouldn't be a blanket sort of protection, but what ever is? You always have to know your opponent.

#11 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:01 AM

Absolutely. I do not know of any absolute protections. Precious stones and amulets can open one to thieves, ancestral protection opens one to familial enemies, invisibility shines a light into the astral, hiding can irritate local spirits who don't wish to be a veil. There is no true protection, that's where skill and discretion come in. At least with the death scent you're almost guaranteed protection from most humans.

RSKHFMY

#12 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:37 AM

Absolutely. I do not know of any absolute protections. Precious stones and amulets can open one to thieves, ancestral protection opens one to familial enemies, invisibility shines a light into the astral, hiding can irritate local spirits who don't wish to be a veil. There is no true protection, that's where skill and discretion come in.

Don't want to derail the thread, but as far as protection in general, I think this is the smartest way to go about it. Some great points.

#13 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:02 AM

What about manure?  Dog poop?  Just throwing it out there because that scent also reminds me the smell of cadaverine.  I've used it as forms of protection before, man's best friend keeps all sorts of things at bay in more ways than one.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#14 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:01 PM

Why the scent specifically? Just curious about your reasons for utilizing that particular sense in this.

How about the overall sense of death? Impending death or its direct aftermath?

I get that not everyone has easy access to that, but it is very powerful.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Death, scent