• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

Has anyone gotten the recently released, revised edition of this Nigel Pearson book? What do you think of it? And how does it compare to the first edition?

I've seen plenty of people here recommend Treading the Mill, but I've yet to read it as it's so expensive online. However, I just noticed a much cheaper listing only to discover it's a new, revised edition! I'd like to order it as long as it's not a huge downgrade, content-wise, from the first edition (I hate it when authors edit things out in retrospect and subsequently ruin a good/great thing, so I'm hoping that's not the case here, and perhaps it's just been added to...)

Edited by IslandBruja, 27 July 2017 - 09:28 AM.

#2 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:08 AM

I have both the earlier edition, bought back when it was $9, and the new one @ $15. The new Chapter 4 is an addition, otherwise it's the same, I think some wording has been updated too, but I didn't compare page by page. It's a darned good read, whichever one you can get your hands on :)

Edited by Zombee, 29 July 2017 - 01:15 AM.

#3 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:49 AM

Thanks for taking the time to let me know, Zombee!

I just can't believe how expensive online a book published 10 years ago is... (It's been on my wishlist for a while, but I'm not paying more than around $15 for a paperback book, so I'm glad they've released a new edition)

#4 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:42 PM

the original first version is cheaper if you buy it from Amazon U.K. in my experience. I like both editions.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#5 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the reviews! I have just ordered the new edition and will look forward to reading it. I know there have been times when I have been ill-prepared with offerings and at those times I offer a song, especially at the shore. I'd be interested in seeing what he recommends as offerings there.

#6 Seekeroftheoldones

Seekeroftheoldones

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:55 PM

I have glanced at the table of contents, and while there seem to be certain interesting sections about wort cunning and spell work, a lot of it seems oddly.. Wiccan and neo-pagan. I don't consider what I am to be either. Especially the bit about wands and the God and Goddess confuse me. I also do neither compasses nor circles. Traditional Witchcraft according to the author also seems to place an awful lot of emphasis on the God, in typical male fashion, which is in direct contrast to my very matriarchal beliefs.I might get the book for the spirit journey and spell craft sections, that's always fun to read about.

#7 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

The written history from trials also concentrated on the god, with regional references to Diana. Traditions will vary by regions, right? Just in my over generalized eyeballing of readings, the further north you go on the Continent, the more references there were to a god, and the further south to a goddess, particularly Etruscan, but I'm no scholar. It changes if you're looking at England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland or the Nordic peninsulas, or south into Spain, or ... Aaaiiiee! It makes me crazy!

Edited by Zombee, 10 August 2017 - 04:21 PM.

#8 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

Yeah I did wonder when I saw the stuff about making a wand in the contents page. Is there anything about making a staff? I have a beautiful branch that I might use to make a shamanic staff, trying to learn more about the process. I have a couple of teachers I can ask plus obviously can make a journey about it but was curious if anyone had made one or if the book mentions them?

#9 Seekeroftheoldones

Seekeroftheoldones

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

I actually changed my mind and decided to get both this book and one called The Devil's Dozen. I ordered them both in limited editions black leather. I guess I was too bored today. I will let you guys know how I like them once I receive and finish them.

#10 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:50 PM

I have glanced at the table of contents, and while there seem to be certain interesting sections about wort cunning and spell work, a lot of it seems oddly.. Wiccan and neo-pagan. I don't consider what I am to be either. Especially the bit about wands and the God and Goddess confuse me. I also do neither compasses nor circles. Traditional Witchcraft according to the author also seems to place an awful lot of emphasis on the God, in typical male fashion, which is in direct contrast to my very matriarchal beliefs.I might get the book for the spirit journey and spell craft sections, that's always fun to read about.

well, I'm an agnostic witch, so none of the info on gods/goddesses will be of much interest to me - deity worship has nothing to do with my practice of Traditional Witchcraft - but I'm still looking forward to reading the book nonetheless. I just need to get around to ordering it!

#11 Seekeroftheoldones

Seekeroftheoldones

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:06 AM

well, I'm an agnostic witch, so none of the info on gods/goddesses will be of much interest to me - deity worship has nothing to do with my practice of Traditional Witchcraft - but I'm still looking forward to reading the book nonetheless. I just need to get around to ordering it!

I ordered it earlier today. I figured why not, I have no books on Witchcraft (literally not a single one), so why not start here.

Also, I don't worship any deities. When I say matriarchal I don't necessarily mean goddess.

Edited by Seekeroftheoldones, 11 August 2017 - 01:08 AM.