• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Greeny

Greeny

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

I have a ton of tarragon overtaking my garden. I'm thinking of making a tincture because of the health benefits I've read about online, mainly digestive and antioxidant benefits. I couldn't find any info about any magical uses though so maybe there aren't any but thought I'd check and see if you guys knew of some? Or had any suggestions of anything else to do with it? I could even make the essential oil if I had any idea of how to lol

#2 ErinnAinsley

ErinnAinsley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:22 AM

I purchased some in a (weird) daze of adoration some time ago, and am legit addicted to the smell of it and drawn to it but no idea what uses it is best for still... also curious...

I did make up a rice recipe using it recently which turned out just divine, of course I never wrote it down, but it goes into rice nicely I think.

#3 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:52 AM

Ahhh Tarragon.

I feel this is a magickally under rated and under appreciated herb. People only seem to talk about  its culinary uses.

And yet, it is a member of the magickally revered Artemisia family. That is the genus with such well respected members as Mugwort (artemesia vulgaris) and Wormwood (artemisia absinthium).

Tarragon, binomial name artemisia dracunculus.  Roughly translated that means little dragon of Artemis. 

One day Mugwort spirit came to me in a dream, as she often does. This day she took the form of the Virgin Mary. She instructed me to make a tincture, an ointment and a smoking mix using a blend of three artemisia herbs. Wormwood, Mugwart and Tarragon.

Tarragon, being the little dragon, is the gentle beast that the old wise woman ( Wormwood ) and the loving mother ( Mugwort ) ride upon on the way to the Sabbat. In other words, together they work well for trance work, dream work, meditation and the like.  Tarragon also imparts a delicious sweet anise flavor to the tincture, and counteracts the bitterness of the wormwood. The smoke mix is made smoother and more pleasantly flavored by Tarragon's addition as well. The ointment is great for enhancing dreams and trance, and is also very effective for muscle pain relief and relaxation. 

If you have extra you don't know what to do with, oil infusion with the fresh herb would be nice. A lovely fragrance for anointing candles, and of course, great for cooking.

It also dries very well.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#4 Greeny

Greeny

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:56 PM

Wow Solanaceae, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I knew of its relation to mugwort and wormwood and thought about a tincture of the 3 but hadn't heard of anyone doing it before so was unsure. But seeing your reply has validated my ideas about it's I'll get right to work!

#5 Greeny

Greeny

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

I love the smell also Erinn and think it's really pretty with its long thin leaves. I love uses it in a creamy sauce over chicken, never thought about using it will rice though. I'll give that a try

#6 Greeny

Greeny

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

Using* it
With* rice
Jeez I need to learn to proof read lol