• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Moly

Moly

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

Sorry this is a video game rather than literature or music, but maybe others will be interested. Although it is based on books by Andrzej Sapkowski, but I haven't read the books. Does anyone play this game? The main character Geralt is not a witch exactly, maybe more of a warrior type of person, but he does sort of have some things in common with witches. I attached this screenshot to show why I thought this may be of interest to others. Geralt is kind of between worlds. This is a fun game and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in video games! (I'm sure you've already played it if you are into video games.) Any other fans of Geralt here?

Attached Files

#2 Jessica

Jessica

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:28 AM

I'm a big fan, of both the book series and the games, with high hopes riding on these whispers of a TV adaptation. I suppose you could say the content is relevant, given that it's a high fantasy setting, with magic and magical beasties included. Some of the terminology differs, but one of the things I greatly love in the series is the wealth of folkloric referencing. I haven't played through all the games and DLCs or finished reading everything yet but you can tell they paid attention to the folk and fairy tales, in both the games and the books. :)

#3 Moly

Moly

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

I'm a big fan, of both the book series and the games, with high hopes riding on these whispers of a TV adaptation. I suppose you could say the content is relevant, given that it's a high fantasy setting, with magic and magical beasties included. Some of the terminology differs, but one of the things I greatly love in the series is the wealth of folkloric referencing. I haven't played through all the games and DLCs or finished reading everything yet but you can tell they paid attention to the folk and fairy tales, in both the games and the books. :)

///

I agree with you. I love the attention to traditional stories, it really gets my imagination fired up about all the spirits. My favourites are the women wraith characters, and the "leshen" characters, I just feel like I really relate to those characters. I would like to read the books. It's cool that you have read them, do you read a lot of fiction? I don't read as much as I used to because I've been occupied with finishing some formal study qualifications and also a job seeking process, but I still love books.

Do you have any favourites to play the role of Geralt in the TV series? I think it would be difficult to select an actor who could really do justice to the dimensions of the character... I guess I just think that the character is really well written. But I've read somewhere that some people find him flat and emotionless.

Edited by Moly, 11 July 2017 - 11:37 AM.

#4 Jessica

Jessica

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

A lot of Eastern European spirits and folkloric beasts pop up (which is to be expected given that it's drawn on mainly Polish and Slavic mythology), and it's kind of refreshing that that representation is there, given that in a lot of more popular media (I use that term loosely, since the Witcher series itself has claimed a rightful place in that same category) focuses more on American and Western European stories, including the whole Wild Hunt thing. But there's also the things like vampires and werewolves and the more 'classically known' beings, witches included, in a way. I think the books are more keen on the folklore, but there's a lot of it in passing in the games as well. 

Oh boy, I do read quite a bit! I'm a writer, so if I'm not writing, I'm reading, to keep the blade sharp, so to speak. I do read a lot of fiction, but lately I've been hoarding up a lot of old manuscripts and grimoire texts, in efforts of expanding my knowledge of traditional craft, and I've also been going through a lot of folklore from different areas of Europe. :) I don't have any picks for Geralt regarding the TV series. I agree that it's going to be ridiculously difficult to cast him, given that his representation in the games is so defining of the character in its own right, but there are inevitably going to be people disappointed (and probably thrilled) with whoever lands it. I'll try to keep an open mind! And I've seen that said of him as well, but I think being kind of flat and emotionless should be included, given the nature of Witchers in general and the process required to make them. It's more true to the stories and canon if he's very level (or flat). I go a bit rabid if an adaptation strays too far from origin in key regards, but that's just me!  :lol:

#5 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:49 AM

This is high up on my must play list!

#6 Greeny

Greeny

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:56 AM

I loved playing Witcher 3! Still haven't finished it but need to soon so I can get started on the DLCs which I'm looking forward to. I like they added the lore to the game also. Haven't had a chance to read the books but intend to one day and really hope they decide to make the show!

#7 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

If you want to see one of the all-time most fantastic game reviews ever, watch this episode of Clueless Gamer on this very game (and thank you for posting this topic which reminded me of this review again - I haven't seen it in years and it's still as hilarious as ever)