• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

As my name suggests I fly below the radar because I'm nothing like anyone's Hollywood idea of a witch. If I ever get rumbled it will be because of a dish of salt or the smell of sage! :-) It wouldn't go down well in my work at all and my family would think I was certifiable. My husband is bemused but tolerant so far.

#22 sleepnheat

sleepnheat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:24 PM

Depending on who I am speaking with, I will hide it. On the list is my mother, town pastor (who is also my contractor), and my partner at work. Would just cause too much of a headache than it's worth. I have one co-worker who knows (also a witch) and my wife. But my wife only knows I study it, not that I am in full practice. She is still warming up to the idea.

I'm on the fence regarding the whole coven thing. Would be nice to learn some new stuff, but I really don't like organized religion (bad experience with the Christianity church).

#23 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

I would immediately lose my job (for a Christian organization) ) if they found out about the witchcraft. Immediate firing, likely a big scandal. I've had the job for five years and only been a witch in hiding for a little over two years. The long term plan is to find a new career where I can be myself and not worried about losing my job, but a divorce and other complications have made that difficult. To be honest, I can't imagine another job that I would be as well suited for, or that puts me in such a great position to help people and do good in my community. I feel very "called" to this position and specifically equipped to excel in it,, even though I don't conform to the doctrine of the church that pays the paycheck. I often feel conflicted over that, but have reconciled it by knowing that the good I do outweighs the deception. In many ways, my shamanic practices in particular coincide with my duties at my job, but the Church would never use that language to describe it.

Living a "double life" sucks sometimes, but it feels worth it for multiple reasons. It keeps peace in my family and my community. For the time being, it keeps food on my table and a roof over my head. I would feel bad if I was profiting off the job lavishly, but I live just under the poverty line...I have enough, so I can't complain, but I don't feel like I'm taking advantage of anyone in this deception.

My esoteric life has brought me a greater fufillment than my former faith, and I'm blessed to have a small group of occultists in my life to give me community support....I don't think I would have made it through the last two years without them. It's not a coven, since we are all on different paths and there's no structured group/ritual hierarchy or anything like that. But we are there to hold space for other, talk about our progress and revelations, and help each other out in magical and mundane ways. Having a few people that I can be 100% honest with has been vital to me. I think a lot of witches join covens in hopes of finding that sort of authentic community among witches, but it can backfire with coven politics and dogma. The fact that we are all involved in different "flavors" of the occult is helpful....we are equals that agree to disagree on some things and learn and listen to each other with an open mind whenever possible.

My significant other practices chaos magic (emphasis on the chaos) and that has given my structured, traditional practice a completely new element to play with. It's a great balance between us and we help each other reach places we couldn't go to on our own.

I think a lot about what it would be life to be an "outted" witch, and I'm not sure I'll ever be there. At least, not in this town, not while
my parents are alive. But maybe someday. It would be nice to enjoy that sort of freedom of expression. But for now, I am embracing the fact that I'm carrying on a long tradition of witches that practice in secrecy, hiding "Easter eggs" of the esoteric in the guise of Christian faith. It doesn't hurt that I believe that there is some interesting gnostic truth in esoteric Christianity, veiled in allegory and Mysticism, hiding right under the noses of the evangelicals that take the scriptures so literally. If I can do my part to help them see the greater, deeper truths of the religion they claim as their own, then I've succeeded. If I can convince one judgemental bible thumper to follow the words of their own Christ and choose acts of love over political agendas and self-righteousness, then it's worth it to live in hiding over the ritual I practice in my own time.

#24 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

Excellent post RG, thank you for bringing your insight to the conversation! 

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#25 Cameo

Cameo

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:10 AM

It all depends who it is. My husband knows and is very supportive and join me in workings if I ask, but he tends to be more knowledge and less practice these days.  I met my best friend at a metaphysical shop.There are a handful of people in my apartment complex that know because we recognized similar paths in each other. Then of course, people in my local pagan community. I don't go around advertising, but I am not super closeted either. The majority of people don't know.

The person I want to tell the most is probably the one person I will never tell. It would wreck their world. Although, it is so tempting though to say, "I appreciate all the time you spend praying for my immortal soul, but I am everything you feared I would become, so please stop asking me what church I am attending, the answer isn't going to change." No one would benefit from it.

#26 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:43 AM

I have a lovely Christian friend at the moment who is hell bent on finding out what I believe at the moment. I'm getting a lot of, 'what's changed?' Questions.

I think she would still accept me, but I'm not going to get into it, I don't think. I honestly don't understand why so many people feel that need to verify and pinpoint the exact beliefs of people in their lives complete with an official name for it? It feels very much like, 'well, what ARE you?' The answer is pretty simple; I'm the person I always have been.

#27 Pazuzu

Pazuzu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:20 AM

I have a lovely Christian friend at the moment who is hell bent on finding out what I believe at the moment. I'm getting a lot of, 'what's changed?' Questions.
I think she would still accept me, but I'm not going to get into it, I don't think. I honestly don't understand why so many people feel that need to verify and pinpoint the exact beliefs of people in their lives complete with an official name for it? It feels very much like, 'well, what ARE you?' The answer is pretty simple; I'm the person I always have been.

Yeah, i dont get it either...

"Nilbog... it's Goblin spelled backwards!!"

#28 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

A lovely post RG thank you.

Everyone knows my views on religion and my views on energy. My family knows about my spirit work and know that I do spell work but I keep what I do with that private. My rituals are also private.

I dress just like everyone else and although people may think that I am a little bit strange in my views I don't think the idea of me being someone who practices a craft would even enter their minds. I don't live in a deeply religious area and so don't come under any type of scrutiny really. I live on top of a mountain and although there are houses around it is quite rural with lots of forests and valleys. So I guess I am not as open as I thought about the nuts and bolts of my practice when I think about it. As I currently stand in my journey I still don't call myself a witch or identify as one as such but that is just my view, but I do find that my views change often over time as I get ideas from this place and incorporate new things into my practice. I guess I am still evolving and digging away at my own path. I really don't like people telling me what I should and shouldn't do so I would never entertain the idea of a coven but I do love to read what others do on this forum and sometimes I think wow what a fab idea and take elements to adapt to my practice.

Edited by Llyr, 18 August 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#29 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:16 PM

Like many others here, I live in the bible belt in a very conservative county. There is literally a Baptist church on every street corner (and then some). I keep to myself, to put it lightly! No one besides my husband knows what I am, and even he doesn't know everything. I wish I could tell my mother but it would break her heart. She's VERY Christian.

But at the same time, I live my life the way I want to. I have a little cottage garden full of herbs and other magical plants. I have a cabinet full of jars of dried plants and potions that I use to make medicine for me and my family. My house is full of plants and rocks and seashells and such. I don't leave esoteric books or tarot cards lying out, but if someone has suspicions or ideas about what I am, then that's fine. I can't concern myself too much with what other people think of me. I have much more interesting things to concern myself with ;)

True magic is neither bad nor good. It is both, because nature is both; loving and cruel all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch. Life keeps a balance on its own. - Lirio

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Witch, Coven, Outing, Leylian, Help