• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Leylian

Leylian

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

So, I was wondering how you manage your life's as a witch.

Do all the people around you know? Are you in a coven?

It's hard for me to decide whether to tell the people (if they ask) or not to tell them.

Many people in my family get out their crucifixes when they hear the word witch because they are badly informed and grew up in a world where witch means satanistic whore of Satan.

I also would love to join a coven but I don't think there are any near me :/

#2 fallenklown

fallenklown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:44 PM

My wife knows but that's honestly it for me hereilove in the bible belt probably wouldn't turn it to el for me here. But it depends on the people you intend to tell and how supportive they are of you.

#3 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:11 PM

I am very solitary in my practice, I have no desire to join a coven whatsoever.

My mother, my husband and my children know.  Other then that, I can think of maybe 3 friends who know.

Then there are people from Facebook and people on here of course.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#4 sagemoonmama

sagemoonmama

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:20 AM

No interest in joining any type of organized group or coven, I am very solitary in my practice. However, I am open but not in your face about it. If people ask or see something I post on social media and have questions, I answer honestly. I don't give away all my personal practice secrets but I do think the more of us that are open to public dialogue, the better we could change the negative criticism we face overall. I like to live in the open as my true self and I don't think it's my job to censor myself to make others feel more comfortable.

#5 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:10 PM

My witchin' lifestyle is not in anyone's face. I'm contentedly solitaire and have been doing my rituals in my back yard for the 20+ years I've lived here. Nobody notices but the present neighbor's big old dog, who gets a biscuit, so he's OK with it :-) and stopped barking. Friends and immediate family are informed and have enough things to do living their own lives so that no one is particularly interested or put off. My beliefs are my own, and not an issue. I can't see any reason why it should be. :-)

#6 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:15 PM

People who are familiar with the many varieties of witchcraft and occultism seem to pick me out as a practitioner of one kind or another somehow; sometimes on the first meeting. I never deny it, but it's not something that I mention myself unless I know for a fact that I'm talking to another witch. I used to straight up deny it, but over time I've begun to feel more comfortable about my beliefs and practices. As long as I'm not being questioned about religion by someone who is evangelical or otherwise in a conservative, monotheist religion, I'll be honest about my animistic beliefs, even.

It's been nice to relax a little bit about being so secretive. I'm not in a coven, but some friends who practice garden-variety occultism have begun a small group for workings and rituals and it's a welcome change into my routine. Everyone who partakes uses different systems and has different beliefs...I struggle so much with routine, tbh, and this has added to my personal practices alone. It's also been interesting to meet people who practice systems that I have only read about but never experienced, too. Had I remained solidly in the closet, I would be missing this experience. That said, I'm pretty guarded about who I admit being a witch to. 

#7 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:20 AM

My partner knows and loves it for some reason :D I haven't told my kids, but I think my oldest daughter knows I'm into some sort of witchy side of things. She's interested in that side of things, eg, pagan, maybe wiccan, etc. I don't think my kids need to know at this point.

I have a very good friend who is also going traditional, and it's wonderful being able to speak openly with her about any of this stuff. And the great thing is, neither of us are interested in group ceremony, covens or anything like that, so we get to enjoy what we do at this level. As for everyone else in my offline life, no, I have no interest in telling people. I love the idea of hiding in plain sight. Plus, I think if most people around here knew what I was into, they'd probably think it was cool if it was wicca (a decent number of pagans and pagan curious people here), but traditional would be something probably not understood yet, and I believe people would probably think I was insane. I mean, they probably think that anyway, but more insane than they currently perceive me :D

Edited by Tricycle, 06 July 2017 - 11:22 AM.

#8 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

My fiancee and roommates are all in the know, though their interest in my ways and beliefs don't breach past intellectual curiosity. Outside of those few, that sort of discussion doesn't present itself, and if it did I'd probably be pretty discerning about who I'd disclose to. Like sexual orientation, I don't see much to be gained by speaking openly about it unless I know who I'm talking to would respond beyond expressing ignorance or bombarding me with annoying questions.

I never wanted to join a coven or anything, which is just as well considering how tight lipped folks are around here, but it sure does get lonely sometimes.

Tell me strange things.

#9 RainbowPrism

RainbowPrism

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:17 PM

My mother, father, and brother know...and I have a feeling my aunt knows. Other than that, it's a well-kept secret. I'm expecting twins in a few months and I plan on teaching them about witchcraft, yet plan on raising them secular and open-minded.

Solitary practice for the win.

#10 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:53 AM

My husband is the only person I've told, to the wider world I'm still an atheist. The only exceptions are one of my bosses who knows I read the tarot and bump into ghosts at work (and that's all she knows), and a friend of my husband's who came to stay and I let my husband give him a head's up. Personally I prefer being a solitary. Maybe I miss out of some of the group fun, but it also means I miss out on the egos, special snowflakes, and generally annoyances of the greater occult/pagan community.

#11 Lauvitra

Lauvitra

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

Most people who know me kind of know, family and friends, that is. Either they know or they just know that I do some funny things sometimes, but I don't really run around announcing it to everyone.

As for covens, I'm not in one, and never will be. Group-working wouldn't make sense within my tradition; a certain level of secrecy and it being solitary is pretty much a defining point for my practice. It's not like I'm very social either, anyway, so I'll just keep my practice to myself, mostly.

"We pledge ourselves to you, the Frame-Maker, the Scarab:

a world for us to love you in, a cloak of dirt to cherish."

#12 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:06 AM

My friends and family all know, other than that I don't announce it to the world.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#13 Elspeth

Elspeth

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:12 AM

I have been wrestling with whether to be out or stay private for a long time. My husband's family would most certainly not approve so for a long time I had been careful with how much of my "stuff" I would have visible to guests in my home and on my person. It was fun for a while to see how much I could "hide out in the open" without them starting to wonder about me, but lately...and this probably has something to do with a ridiculous mellow-dramatic scene they made recently...I don't care about protecting their comfort anymore. And my house is mine so if I want to flaunt my shit, I'm gonna and folks are free to comment or ask about it but I won't discuss my practice openly with non-practitioners, including my husband. I spent too much of my time and energy in my teens and twenties explaining myself and struggling to gain acceptance to no avail. That's just something I don't need to do anymore. Hubs knows I do "witchy stuff" and is accepting overall, though a bit skeptical, but he never gets details. I like keeping my practice sacred but I decided recently that I won't go out of my way to hide it anymore. I personally feel I'm not being true to myself or my practice by hiding. Being secretive is one thing, but hiding...
My 2 cents.

#14 Pazuzu

Pazuzu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:54 AM

I am VERY open about being a witch... got a pentacle on my car.. wear neckaces and rings... even got some T-shirts...I spent my life grown up in a conservative christian cult in the bible belt... so sometimes when I run into them from time to time.. I'm obnoxious about it just to make them as uncomfortable as they made me years ago.. but I'm pretty petty/vindictive at times lol... living in that cult.. I quickly learned that EVERY SECRET eventually comes out.. and when they do.. the longer you kept that secret.. the more judgmental looks and gossip you get thrown at you... so I just.. never had secrets... and have no verbal filter lol.. If I did something embarrassing that day.. I would post about it.. or make jokes.. because when it eventually came out... it would require more energy to deal with it.. than if I came out and said it myself... and I'm lazy... so I would blurt it out right after it happened and laugh about it.. which you can imagine landed me in A LOT of trouble... So i figured... if it ever came out that I was a witch... I would have to deal with endless drama.. so I used the 'rip the bandaid off' method.. and ran out of fucks to give when people would get all judgmental... Plus...Having people see you as a witch... keeps the assholes at bay... mostly.. just toss out the word 'hex' or 'curse' and when something bad or annoying happens to them in the next few days.. they assume it was you.. and they either avoid you completely (in which nothing of value was lossed) or they act nicer...
I still get those emails, messages, and texts from bigots... but instead of getting upset.. I just decise to fuck with their heads... or embarrass them with all the biblical knowledge I know from all those years I was forced studying the bible... and then i mindfuck them into silence...
but not everyone had the upbringing I had... so my way DEFINITELY wont work for everyone...

Also... I HIGHLY doubt I would ever join a coven.. sometimes it seems like a good idea (for me)... I mean... who doesn't want to a bunch of witches who have your back... but the whole time I would be wondering if I was in another cult... even if it had no signs of being one.. I would always think it in the back of my mind... or there's the chance you get dragged into some else's drama...

~\_(0.0)_/~

"Nilbog... it's Goblin spelled backwards!!"

#15 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:31 PM

We had Jehovah Witnesses knocking on our door today. Was sorely tempted to out myself just to repel them from our home! :D

#16 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:38 PM

We had Jehovah Witnesses knocking on our door today. Was sorely tempted to out myself just to repel them from our home! :D

I accidentally learned that wearing skimpy clothing scares them off just as well  :lol:

#17 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

I accidentally learned that wearing skimpy clothing scares them off just as well  :lol:

Accidentally eh!  :D

I am solitary, no one knows except for my wife, and those that might recognize something, but they'd be a witch. It's going to remain that way...I live in the Bible belt.

#18 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:19 PM

Accidentally eh!  :D

I am solitary, no one knows except for my wife, and those that might recognize something, but they'd be a witch. It's going to remain that way...I live in the Bible belt.

It was that first time, but any subsequent visits they pay me might not be so accidental lol. I scared off some Pentacostals who were going door to door once by saying I was Catholic, I think they would have been less frightened of me if I'd said I was a witch, heh. 

I live in the BB too, and despite being in a relatively liberal urban area I get skiddish about too many people knowing. Someone at work figured it out and I was full of anxiety for awhile.

#19 Seekeroftheoldones

Seekeroftheoldones

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:31 AM

Nobody knows. Everyone thinks I'm a vehement atheist, with absolutely no belief in any "supernatural phenomena" at all. Even my closest friends who know everything about me are in the dark about it. They know I study it, for research purposes, but they don't know what I am. Some of them used to, but I pretended to grow out of it. I prefer it this way.

#20 Loboblanco

Loboblanco

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:28 AM

Only people that practice traditional witchcraft, and some pagans now. And some close open friend. My parents know i do somethng, because  the time i was wiccan. but not really what i do now. I don't hide it, but i am not too open about it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Witch, Coven, Outing, Leylian, Help