• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

I've just started reading this book and am so far enjoying it very much.

Has anyone read it and what are your thoughts?

#2 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

I've tried to read some of Artisson's stuff, but I had a hard time getting into it. He had some interesting tidbits, but I had trouble reading over the sound of his ego.

#3 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

What Duchess said.

In all fairness it is not just Artisson either, although he is a big one. A good many occult authors put me off for similar reasons.

The ego, dogma or idealism gets in the way of my enjoyment of the content.

Edited by Solanaceae, 25 June 2017 - 04:13 PM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#4 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

I agree Im only on the first chapter , I have highlighted some points that I want to consider in greater detail, but I'm not sure the style of writing is for me.

#5 Holdasown

Holdasown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

I have read this one and The Resurrection of the Meadow. I like the information in the books. 

#6 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:18 PM

Having read a lot of Artisson's works and listened to him in interview, I just don't get the big ego sentiment I see often pinned on him..

I've read Witching Way, and go back to it every now and then. Tucked in with his theology and personal views is much of practical use. His techniques for stilling the mind and getting 'out and about' are worthwhile.

Tell me strange things.

#7 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:45 AM

I find his work to often be the inflated regurgitated works of others, bordering on plagiarism.  He does have a knack for presenting things in a just beyond reach manner.

But it is not his publications that are the foundation for the overwhelming distaste for his egotism and total ass-hatery.. 

It is his penchant for spamming, trolling and harassing others online.. 

Most who have been around for any length of time, participating on online groups and forums, have most likely witnessed the circus that is Artisson. 

My response results from first hand, one on one dialogue and exchange over the years. 

He does get a thrill from being "that guy"

Personally , there are many other authors who I find to be more professional, astute and inspiring.. So no need to waste funds on those who do not resonate ...

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#8 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:35 AM

I have tried to read Artisson's work, because it seems to be in my wheelhouse, but tnen I can't, for the reasons Solanacceae summed up. Thank you, and Duchess as well, now I don't feel so crummy about that. I can usually plow through.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.