• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RainbowPrism

RainbowPrism

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:13 AM

The definition of a Familiar Spirit has changed and been moulded with overtime. With many New-Agers and Wiccans, a ​familiar ​is an animal (usually a cat) that embodies a spirit, and serves as a guardian for the fellow witch. However, the old (and true) definition of a Familiar spirit is much, much different and complex.

A Familiar is actually a spiritual servant is created for the witch, and is created from the witch's psyche instead of resting in a physical, sentient being. Familiars are just as strong as demons and psi-ball spirits, but creating them can be a challenge. Here is a guide on how you can create one, and how you can have it (he/she/them for some people) be your servant.

The first thing you want to do is think of a name for your spirit. No, not names like Samantha or Brown Jenkin. You can use these, but it's better to name the spirit after the intentions it's put to use on, like ​Lovebringer ​if you wish for a partner, or ​a name with a translation of your intention, such as Aadya ​for strength and willpower. Simply naming your spirit ​Strength or Willpower is also a viable option. ​The possibilities are endless.

Your next step is to bind the spirit. The easiest way is to make a sigil, which can be done in a variety of ways: from writing a symbol on a piece of paper to creating sigil wheels.

You then create or find a physical object which the spirit is bound to when it is not doing work. This keeps it from leaving or sneaking away. This is one of the most enjoyable parts of creating the spirit, so get as creative as you can/like. I usually mark a symbol or the familiar's name to the object.

After you do this, you are going to imagine what your spirit looks like, even if it may look slightly different on the astral plane. I sometimes draw my familiars concept and hang it on my altar for later ideas. This is the "incubation" period, but you have yet to summon it to you. That is the next step.

Design a ritual for summoning the Familiar. I usually do so on an altar containing the Familiar's sigil, bound physical object, and image. I sometimes put objects that will be relating to the familiar's assigned duties, e.g some medical herbs for a healing familiar. You can also give offerings, such as florals, food...the possibilities are endless. When you begin the summoning, trace its sigil in the air with your finger, a wand, or a dagger while you say the Familiar's names 3 or 7 times (these two numbers are lucky and magical). Keep thinking of the Familiar's name while you look at its image on the altar. If you lose focus, repeat the sigil tracing and name pronunciation while you focus on the image.

repeat this ritual everyday until you feel the Familiar come into being. These rituals help minimize influences from errors that may come up from doing something for a first time, so reflecting and re-working on your rituals as you go along helps you create a Familiar spirit to your liking (be wary that there will be imperfections, but nothing can be completely pure and free of flaws). These rituals play a huge role in the incubation period of your Familiar.

After your Familiar has been "born" (a truly wonderful thing, indeed), you can start commanding your Familiar spirit for tasks. You want to create a bold proclamation at the time of the summoning. It can be short, about 8 or so sentences long, and should be clear, concise, and to-the-point. In your proclamation, name the spirit, say the purpose for its creation, and the consequence if it shall disobey. Remain calm, and show no fear. You can point a dagger at the sigil for emphasis while you do the summoning.

You need to create a "return back" ritual to use once the Familiar has either finished the task or if you feel it has done enough to your liking. If you send it out for long tasks and journeys (such as pursuing an individual for hexes or finding a lost love), be sure to call it back once a week (or more often depending on how desperate you are for the familiar to complete the task) for a short rest period.

This familiar can be with you your whole life or destroyed right away, depending on if you feel it is doing your bidding/tasks. More than one familiar can be kept by one witch, but be very careful. Never lose their sigils or the physical objects they are bound to, or the Familiars may destroy themselves. I recommend, if you want to keep your Familiar(s), to keep their sigils on an altar. Over a period of time, Familiars can develop their abilities and become better servants, so I also recommend being patient and attentive.  

I hope this was helpful...or at the very least beneficial. I tried to write this without it being messy.

#2 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:55 AM

Excellent post! My only beef with details is that psi-ball entity and demons are quite different in power, and also that this reminds me more of fetch work as opposed to familiar work. However, that terminology changes a lot according to paths, so chalk it up to that. Thank you for the wonderful post.

RSKHFMY

#3 Steriki

Steriki

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:37 AM

This is not messy writing at all! In my understanding what you refer to as a familiar is a fetch or servitor. But I've come across many different ambiguous descriptions for both familars and fetches. So I guess it's open to interpretation in context of the specific path I follow. As far as familiars (or fetches, as I know them) goes, you are quite right about their development over time. It is actually a very rewarding process if you have the patience. I'm very fond of mine.

*Not all who wander are lost *

#4 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:51 PM

psi-ball entity and demons are quite different in power, and also that this reminds me more of fetch work as opposed to familiar work.

I agree with Ravenshaw on these points.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#5 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:14 PM

I would agree that this post contains an excellent method for creating a fetch or servitor type entity. Very well explained.

However, I am having some issues with couple of things that I find myself unable to ignore.

Please know I mean no offence, just compelled to say my piece.

The definition of a Familiar Spirit has changed and been moulded with overtime. With many New-Agers and Wiccans, a ​familiar ​is an animal (usually a cat) that embodies a spirit, and serves as a guardian for the fellow witch. 

-The concept of a familiar being an animal, or a spirit that embodies the animal, and serves the witch is far older then New-age and Wicca put together.

However, the old (and true) definition of a Familiar spirit is much, much different and complex.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion of what you think it means, but to suggest that yours is the only right one seems a bit dogmatic to me.

- There is more then one definition for 'familiar' spirit.  How can you be so sure that yours is the right one and the rest are wrong?

A Familiar is actually a spiritual servant is created for the witch, and is created from the witch's psyche instead of resting in a physical, sentient being. 

-This is a matter of opinion, if it is yours that is well and good. As has already been stated by others, it sounds more like a fetch or servitor to me.

#6 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:53 AM

I agree that this sounds like a Servitor type working, and that the definition of "familiar" varies greatly from paths to path.  Though I have never heard of it being defined this way.

My question/concern is this though

"This familiar can be with you your whole life or destroyed right away, depending on if you feel it is doing your bidding/tasks. More than one familiar can be kept by one witch, but be very careful. Never lose their sigils or the physical objects they are bound to, or the Familiars may destroy themselves. I recommend, if you want to keep your Familiar(s), to keep their sigils on an altar. Over a period of time, Familiars can develop their abilities and become better servants, so I also recommend being patient and attentive.  "

Please, someone correct me if I am mistakes- but it is my understanding that it is crucial to build a servitor with an imbedded self destruct date from the get go, because allowing one to exist for a long or open ended period of time was quite dangerous and opened the creator to a potential host of problems.  Not the least of which being, the thing continuing to grow more powerful and continuously drawing off the practitioner in a parasitic way.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#7 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:15 AM

I think this depends upon the wants of the creator and the type of servitor. Some people disengage them quickly. Some people work to create a companion for life. Some believe that even thinking of your creation feeds it enough to keep it alive. I've never personally heard of someone's servitor becoming an unsolvable issue. But who knows? I'm sure it's happened

RSKHFMY

#8 FooeynJomy

FooeynJomy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

Please, someone correct me if I am mistakes- but it is my understanding that it is crucial to build a servitor with an imbedded self destruct date from the get go, because allowing one to exist for a long or open ended period of time was quite dangerous and opened the creator to a potential host of problems.  Not the least of which being, the thing continuing to grow more powerful and continuously drawing off the practitioner in a parasitic way.

This is certainly most of the guidance that I have come across. For myself though and my own path it is not something that I have ever followed in the handful of servitors I have had reason to create over the years. I see the relationship more as a partnership, from my side I feed the servitor energy or other things depending on the creation - one of mine was happy with a sip of beer and a chat every couple of days! Creating the servitor with a self destruct date runs counter to this sort of relationship for me. And I've always found that it's in the relationship that the best work is done as the servitor learns more and is able to communicate. 

I think being too hard and fast with rules and 'programming' can often lead to more problems than a more flexible, 'conversational' approach. 

The work is done when we part ways. This has happened every time mutually and organically, where one day I realised I haven't seen the figure for a while and then that's it, we've naturally gone our separate ways.

I've never had a problem with things happening this way. But it does all depend on each individual's belief and approach.

#9 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:09 AM

The method is familiar to me when I build a piece of furniture or do work in my garden.  Playing music and dancing can have minds of their own, twisting us to their will, no doubt.  When the rhythm takes over and the guitar plays itself through your fingers

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#10 Cherry

Cherry

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:46 PM

This post is interesting indeed. What other people have said about this post being more about fetches than familiars, I kind of agree. Where I'm from witches where believed to have fetches, which were created to help and fetch things for the witch. In return they wanted food, respect and services. Familiars however seem to be there more for guideance and teaching. But like Oroboros said, definition of 'familiar' can be different for witches around the world.

There are couple of things that are different from the tradition of fetches which I've learned. First of all, even though fetches are created by a witch, they can have a physical body. Many fetches have said to have taken a form of an animals like cats, frogs and birds.This is where I come to the second difference between fetches described here and fetches that I'm more familiar with: even though fetches can take a form of an animal, they do have their true form which is pretty scary, but powerful. This is why I personally don't see a point in drawing one for my fetch if I ever make one. However there are many traditions and paths, so I'm sure in all traditions fetches do not have their original, true form. In that case I can imagine creating one being pretty important.

When it comes to making a fetch with self destruction date, to me this sounds very strange. In my homelands tradition fetches are made by giving them part (or half) of your soul, sometimes also half of your body. Because of this harming someone's fetch would also harm its maker. If you kill the fetch, you kill the witch. I'm not sure if the situation is different if fetch is destroyed by it's maker though, so I'm not 100% sure on this.

Edited by CherryDNA, 08 July 2017 - 05:47 PM.

#11 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:40 PM

Yeee, the labels put on servant-types get changed around from one practicioner to the next...to my thinking, servitor sounds sterile and detached, and I'd use it for short term assistants I'd use for a task and then terminate. Fetches call for more intensive visualization work, and can go on for years and years with routine 'feeding' (IMO).

Nice post and responses...around solstice, I had started a sketchbook for servitor/fetch workings. The book itself serves as a sigil safekeeping space, and also a portable working altar.

Tell me strange things.

#12 Moly

Moly

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

I loved the article and responses. There was terminology I will read more about.

I got my teddy bear in SF when I was a baby, for my first Christmas. My mother took me to store in Union Sq and she said I reached out for him and chose him.

There were times in 20s when did not care much for Ted. Then, when I went through a lot of challenging lonely problems around caring for very ill close relative, I started wanting to cuddle him while sleeping again.

I became fearful that someone would hurt Ted or take him from me. Therefore, I took him to liminal zone where he became a spirit. He became "real", very "Velveteen Rabbit". Now it wouldn't matter as much if his body were destroyed or cut up (though that could never happen in my power).

I wouldn't put an expiry date on Ted. I'm not sure that I could have the power to do it. He is what he is. I hope he would live on as a spirit after our bodies are ruined, going ahead and maybe doing his own thing. He's a great guy and helped me a lot so he deserves the best.

I'm very comfortable with refraining from setting an end date or closing point for workings that I engage in. It is organic. I don't expect to control it all. I would not participate in "quickening" something that I would not be prepared to take responsibility for, even that it would go its own way. It's like a plant, it will grow and live on its own. You may regret it, but that's life, very imperfect, never going to plan.

Edited by Moly, 14 July 2017 - 05:57 PM.

#13 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:28 PM

I agree that this sounds more like a servitor. I thought a familiar was a spirit that you can call for in the astral but not create or take for yourself? It has to choose you, and you claim the partnership in agreement? Maybe I'm thinking of something else, lol. Feel free to correct me and set me straight.

#14 Deawic

Deawic

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:50 AM

A Familiar is actually a spiritual servant is created for the witch, and is created from the witch's psyche instead of resting in a physical, sentient being. Familiars are just as strong as demons and psi-ball spirits, but creating them can be a challenge.

if someone didn't mind, what is the difference from  creating a familiar and or fetch spirit, to a psi ball spirit? I'm a bit familiar with the psi ball spirit type of creation, though ive no large amount of experience, just a decent amount of research and reading as I come across it... the psi ball spirit or construct seems to have a shorted amount of time or effort focused on it but I  guess that could be up to the practitioner...  also, for example theres a freshly lightning struck tree branch outside, and its soon carved up and befitting a physical piece for the familiar/fetch. would this be seen as a supercharged vessal? meaning, the being wont need excess feeding or at least less attention in that one area ( a darn good spirit batter), or would it possibly be to much and drive it stir crazy? 

#15 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

This is an interesting thread, thanks. I had only really come across the idea of servitors (I much prefer the name here 'fetch' ) in a book about chaos magic. It didn't mention the idea of feeding a servitor the way some of you have mentioned (e.g. beer and chat!). Is this an essential part of building a relationship with a fetch?

The servitor in the book (Condensed Chaos by Phil Hines in case anyone is interested) seemed much more clinical - they were a tool that were created with inbuilt timescales to self-destruct when the work was done. He does mention other longer-acting ones which can learn a specific type of work like healing. But I really like the idea of creating a fetch that you can develop a relationship with, almost like working with an ancestral spirit. If anyone has any more experiences they would like to share I would be really interested in reading them.

#16 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

Sorry, to answer my own question just found the threads about servitor creation http://www.tradition...ting-servitors/ (thanks Ravenshaw!) and feeding thought forms. I know people get cross at newbies like me asking for duplicate info, so sharing it for others who are still navigating their way round all the info on site.

#17 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

Bump

#18 Akashiel

Akashiel

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted Today, 03:05 AM

From what i have learned there is no need to create a fetch, it is already a part of your soul.This is the case in Nordic and Finnish traditions from which I believe the term fetch originates. It is a counterpart, usually either opposite gender version of you or a animal that resonates with you that assists you in spiritual journeys and can be sent forth for various tasks. Servitors or created servant spirits are usually associated with chaos magic though various other magical systems use similar methods. Many paths of traditional magic use more physical things to bind the created spirits to their purpose. First to come to my mind are the toad rite from Mark Smiths Hecatean path and the inugami ritual from Japanese folk magic. though one might argue that these use the soul of a deceased animal to create a arguably stable and very powerful servant spirit. Then a familiar from what I have been taught can be obtained three ways. 1. Goetic demons are known for providing summoners they like familiar spirits, or rather demons. 2. Having strong enough second sight/yin eyes/whatever you want to call seeing spirits to negotiate a mutually beneficial contract.3 Raising an animal to become useful for a witch.A traditional method I know includes feeding the animal small amounts of your blood while building a relationship with it. My grandfather had 5 adders (or finnish equivalent) roaming the land he lived in, said they intercepted ill intent coming his way. I raised my cat to serve roughly the same purpose.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: summoning, binding, familiars, spirits, how-to, witchcraft, magic, sigil, astral plane