• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 WhichWitch

WhichWitch

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

So I'm curious because curiosity is something I do well. 

When joining this site I noticed that I honestly don't have much to post, not because I don't have anything to say but because Oh my Gravy there is so much here to read and learn from. Not to rub any tummies or toot any horns but you folks are amazing. I could sit here and read on this site for days with the information stored in this forum.

My question for you folks is if you think the curiosity gene so to speak is something prevalent in those who partake of magic and witchcraft. Do any of you find yourself being sucked in and hours later coming up for air with the realization that your coffee cup has grown cold and stale because someone wrote a post on an interesting subject that you just couldn't stop reading.

After being a student I find that I take notes at a fevered pace, trying madly to scribble down the things that I find important and having wild thought breakthroughs and realizations. 

So so happy I found this place!

"Don't Be Delicate, Be Vast and Brilliant!"

#2 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

Ive learned to love cold coffee for this reason. : )

#3 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

Yeah this place is a mine of information and the tips and advice have helped a lot of people answer a lot of questions. It is very easy to get lost in time when you come across something that you really want to learn more about.

#4 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:18 PM

Too many nights turn into early morning here.

#5 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:29 PM

I've dealt with depression on and off again for many years, and I've noticed a pattern that one of the things that always pulls me out of a longer bout of the "funk" is this same curiousity drive you speak of. Something mysterious and complex sucks me in and I have a reason to keep going and drag myself out of bed each day. In that way, perhaps the occult has saved my life.

#6 FooeynJomy

FooeynJomy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

Hi and welcome

I too know that feeling well! And it is a good feeling to have that energy of curiosity flowing through, and the feeling of learning. 

From my own experience though I need to be careful of this feeling - I can get swept along in book learning and neglect to practice. I now make sure I take extended breaks away from the internet or books and be on my own to learn from my own internal sources. It's important for me to cultivate these inner connections with nature and my ancestors, and I have found too much reading can sometimes get in the way.

#7 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:59 AM

Yep, definitely experienced this- still do.  Maybe its just me- but in case you enjoy this as well- I like starting at the back of the forum.  Like finding a section and scroll to the very end until you find the strings that were started in like 2007.  Very good stuff throughout- but because this place tries to keep from repeat topics as much as possible- some of the best and easiest to miss stuff was started long ago- IMO.

I also (maybe this is just me too) find it quite addicting, when a good topic is going, to keep checking my phone, looking for updates.  It can get a little ridiculous sometimes.  :)

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#8 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:23 AM

Isn't the ability to enjoy research kind of important on this path? I know I wouldn't have gone very far without my urge to scrounge every last detail. I'm like a dog with an empty tuna fish can.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#9 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

After long bouts of READING ALL THE THINGS, I get bitten by the do-something bug and remind myself that this isn't just an intellectual pursuit. It's very easy to fall into the heap of rabbit holes around here, and for me, it took quite a while of just researching, comparing different ideas and such before I began to feel like I had a good foundation to work with, and I'll probably always be a very motivated student.

I feel like it takes a measure of ambition and knowledge-thirst to be drawn to witchery and the occult. Maybe witches -are- born, in that folks naturally ingrained with just the right slant of interest are much more likely to involve themselves with the unseen? The notion of a witch or any other sort of practicioner who doesn't have some deep need to know more just doesn't make sense to me.

Tell me strange things.

#10 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

I feel like it takes a measure of ambition and knowledge-thirst to be drawn to witchery and the occult. Maybe witches -are- born, in that folks naturally ingrained with just the right slant of interest are much more likely to involve themselves with the unseen? The notion of a witch or any other sort of practicioner who doesn't have some deep need to know more just doesn't make sense to me.

What makes the difference between a natural born and a Witch is the desire to continue down the path. I've known a few with the natural, innate potential, but who are terrified of it and won't even do simple meditation for fear of further development. It takes dedication and curiosity...a curiosity so strong that maybe it's witches who have 9 lives, lol

#11 Cherry

Cherry

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

I think my inner fixation of learning its actually one of the biggest reasons I am a witch. Some people here have said that they end up reading so much that they forget to actually practise what they've learned. Well, that's a perfect way to describe me, but I don't see it as a bad thing. Somehow I've always felt that my reason of existing has always been more about understanding and learning than anything else. I wish to grow through my research. But I've also met people who are more about practising and learning through practise so I guess it depends.

#12 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:15 AM

I've dealt with depression on and off again for many years, and I've noticed a pattern that one of the things that always pulls me out of a longer bout of the "funk" is this same curiousity drive you speak of. Something mysterious and complex sucks me in and I have a reason to keep going and drag myself out of bed each day. In that way, perhaps the occult has saved my life.

I resonate with this so much. Thank you for posting it. I feel the same way. These past few years have been very dark for me and curiosity in witchcraft has given me a lot of motivation and reason to get through the toughest days.

I definitely feel many of those who are witches are full of curiosity and seekers of knowledge. I've lost many hours here for sure!

#13 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:28 PM

I'm sure I'm not alone but it was curiosity that brought me to the craft in the first place. From that moment I found out about "real" witchcraft, my thirst for it has only grown in the last 20 years. I'm forever asking questions and looking things up. I'd been dipping in and out of this site for a while but since I signed up a week or so ago I am constantly on it! Good job it's quiet at work otherwise I'd definitely be getting in trouble  :lol: 

life is better with a biscuit