9 replies to this topic

#1 citoyenne

citoyenne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:30 AM

I need ants for an upcoming working and I was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion for where to buy dead/dried ants? I would like a reputable North American provider that will ship to or within Canada. I want average local species (I'm not looking for giant tropical specimen types, though neat, not what I need)

I would like only a gram or so, I will buy a few grams if needed but I'm not looking for a large amount.

On the opposite, does anyone have a suggestion for trapping ants in a way that they would still be usable and still amenable to working with me? (stuff like glue traps and poison are right out, can't take them off the glue, they die in the nest if poisoned, not useful). I do need them dead, they need to be vessels, so an ant farm is also right out.

I didn't expect the look I got when I went into town to the local "witch store" and asked for ants... Apparently an odd request.  :rolleyes_witch:

#2 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:07 PM

If you feed them, they will come. Bait them in a large jar. Use a piece of gauze & rubber band as a lid so they get air. Prep the jar as a temporary habitat. Let them go by removing the lid and placing food outside the jar, when the task is done.

#3 citoyenne

citoyenne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

Not at all a bad idea, thanks :)

#4 citoyenne

citoyenne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:55 AM

Snag in the plans, I'm only getting a few at a time. I've given them a way to climb up the outside of the jar but since they can't get out to tell their buddies that there are sweet yummies inside I'm not really getting a column of them which would be about the numbers that I'm looking for. I guess for the time being I can work away slowly at getting enough, or setting it so they can get out to tell their colony, and later setting it to trap them once I have all the scent markers.

#5 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:41 PM

Leave honey trail.

#6 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:20 PM

Lol, a lack of ants has never been a problem here. In fact if you want to come over you could pretty much stand at one of my trees with a cup.:)
Idk of a nice way to kill something. But as far as their little carcasses being intact I'd probably drown them and then strain the water.
But yeah, as has been said feed them. Think about what happens when a piece of hard candy is left on the ground! Zombee's plan accompanied by honey trail sounds like it would work.

Edited by Oroboros, 25 May 2017 - 11:22 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#7 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:31 PM

I was curious so I had to see for myself.

There is always this: http://www.marxpantry.com/Entomophagy. You will note a tin of "edible black ants" for sale. :) At the competitive price of just 6$ per can, or 5 per can if you buy in bulk. :)
This way if you get hungry during your working, maybe with a little chocolate fondue...

Or, you could just buy this guys artwork...
http://www.telegraph...or-artwork.html

Edited by Oroboros, 25 May 2017 - 11:39 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#8 Holdasown

Holdasown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

I would lay the jar on it's side. They can go in and out. Once you get a good group of them the jar will be pretty full. We can't even sit down a can of pop on the ground here and it's covered in them. I miss my chickens. lol

#9 citoyenne

citoyenne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

LOL! I would say you guys are lucky but I know it's not true. With our winters we get sufficient winter-kill that the nests never get that big so we're never really over run.

Honey is the way I'll go I'm getting too impatient with this other setup but I think that what may work best is just leaving a small jar of honey out. I don't need to (and probably couldn't) physically handle single insects so: two birds with one stone, they'll drown in the honey and be preserved, plus any who make it out alive can bring their treasure back to the nest as a sort of offering to the colony.

Edit: PS yumm chocolate fondue ants  :cauldron04: .... :yuck:

Edited by citoyenne, 27 May 2017 - 09:51 PM.

#10 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

Easy job here... I could probably collect a bucket full of ants from my garden. Please.... you can have them all!!